'Don't pay your kids tuition fees upfront' Discussion Area

1525354555658»

Comments

• Does anyone know how repayments are calculated for the self employed please? Just assuming that they would look at pre-tax profits and work it out on 9% of anything above threshold at the end of the financial year?
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,891 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Je55ica21 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how repayments are calculated for the self employed please? Just assuming that they would look at pre-tax profits and work it out on 9% of anything above threshold at the end of the financial year?

Page 11:

http://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/1718/ft/sfe_terms_and_conditions_guide_1718_d.pdf
  • SarahB89
    SarahB89 Posts: 38 Forumite
    I'm part way through a postgrad MSc, using a Plan 2 government loan of £10k, of which I've received £5k so far. However, given the interest rate rise on Plan 2 loans, does it now make more financial sense for me to put my second year fees on a credit card than take out the rest of the loan? I have an existing Plan 1 loan from my undergrad which is being repaid at about £200/month, and I expect to pay it off within 30 years. I'm aware that the advice is usually to just take the loan, but I'm no longer sure that it's the lowest rate, and given that it's only £5k, is there a better way of doing it?
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,891 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    SarahB89 wrote: »
    I'm part way through a postgrad MSc, using a Plan 2 government loan of £10k, of which I've received £5k so far. However, given the interest rate rise on Plan 2 loans, does it now make more financial sense for me to put my second year fees on a credit card than take out the rest of the loan? I have an existing Plan 1 loan from my undergrad which is being repaid at about £200/month, and I expect to pay it off within 30 years. I'm aware that the advice is usually to just take the loan, but I'm no longer sure that it's the lowest rate, and given that it's only £5k, is there a better way of doing it?

Postgraduate loans are not Plan 2 loans. Plan 2 has an interest rate between RPI and RPI+3% depending on earnings between £21,000 and £41,000. Postgraduate loans have a flat rate of RPI+3% regardless of earnings.

Plan 1 loans taken out from 1st September 2006 are written off after 25 years, not 30 years.

Take the loan. At worst it will increase your graduate contribution. At best it will save you a lot of money on commercial credit which MUST be repaid regardless of what you earn.
  • Nadera78
    Nadera78 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 7 July 2017 at 6:09PM
    Got a question for you knowledgeable people.

I took out a Student Loan 15 years ago, but dropped out of the course almost immediately. That loan repayment has barely been touched and currently sits at around £1,300 owed.

I've been offered a place at university this September, on a 2 year accelerated degree course. Fees amount to £9,000 x 2 years = £18,000. It's a private institution so Tuition Fee loans would be capped at £6,165 p/a and I'd have to fund the rest. I have the money to cover the full amount regardless.

My question is two-fold: 1) would I be eligible to take out a new Student Loan, given that I had one before, and 2) If I was eligible, would I be better off taking the loan, paying the remainder and sticking the rest of my money in an account/ISA, or simply paying the fees myself?

Thanks
  • ianG
    ianG Posts: 89 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My DD has just completed her postgraduate degree and is signed up for an MA starting this year. Now, from previous dealings with SFE I am reluctant to take out another loan no matter what the assurances were given about thresholds and repayment write-offs. I have found them totally incompetent and have had many sleepless nights while sorting out their failings by myself. I did get a verbal apology but they do seem to be a law unto themselves.

The thing is I have a large inheritance and could easily pay the 9k fees. Very fortunate position to be in I know. But is this really a good idea, paying up front or simply adding to the existing 40 odd k with its 6% interest. The sums will be enormous!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,955 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    ianG wrote: »
    My DD has just completed her postgraduate degree and is signed up for an MA starting this year. Now, from previous dealings with SFE I am reluctant to take out another loan no matter what the assurances were given about thresholds and repayment write-offs. I have found them totally incompetent and have had many sleepless nights while sorting out their failings by myself. I did get a verbal apology but they do seem to be a law unto themselves.

The thing is I have a large inheritance and could easily pay the 9k fees. Very fortunate position to be in I know. But is this really a good idea, paying up front or simply adding to the existing 40 odd k with its 6% interest. The sums will be enormous!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Depends on future earnings. I understand the payback on the MA will be additional to the existing 40k, so payments will increase by taking the further loan.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • I wonder how this would work now, with savings interest so low.
    My children started uni just as maintenance grants ended and loans began. I was a teacher (languages) and had no problem with supporting them (that may be !!! because, to my amazement, in the last 15-20 years I have seen teachers, inc Heads, protesting that they're in [non-mortgage] debt because their salaries are too small). As part of making them financially aware (I had opened PO a/cs for them at 13 and paid their pocket money in annually), I explained that they should take the loans and put them into the best savings vehicle, because the interest was higher than that on the loans and they would end up with a profit. They could understand the maths but not why they should be given that opportunity, which they assumed all students in their position would jump at. I didn't understand either.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure