0% Balance transfer advice needed please!

Hello!

So we have a substantial amount of debt (32k) that we are working towards paying off at a rate of around £800 p/m.

2 finance agreements
1 overdraft
1 car loan
4 credit cards - 3 of which are 0% until 2019ish

Our debt and spending is now firmly under control and as far as I can see it we're in the best position we can be... Almost!

One of the credit cards is accruing interest on a balance of around £8500. We've had to just suffer this as we've been unable to get another 0% card so we left it and suffered the interest while our credit scores built back up again so we could apply again.

I was looking today at 0% cards and I think our scores are good enough now that we will be accepted.

My question is this; is there a way to know how large your credit limit will be ahead of applying? I'd ideally like one card to transfer the entire balance to although transferring even half to a 0% card would be an improvement...!

Thanks. :)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    No.

Take whatever limit you are offered, if you can get a card at all.

Remember that your score isn't relevant in applying for credit (or anything else). The main issue will be your indebtedness and your income.
  • Geworgie
    Geworgie Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks!

Managed to get a 0% for 32 months covering the entire balance so I'm happy with that!
  • Geworgie wrote: »
    Thanks!

Managed to get a 0% for 32 months covering the entire balance so I'm happy with that!

Brilliant. For an encore, you've got nothing to lose by sticking in a further application for a money transfer card. If successful, you might be able to knock back some of your other interest bearing finance. Perhaps use the eligibility checker first.
  • Brilliant. For an encore, you've got nothing to lose by sticking in a further application for a money transfer card. If successful, you might be able to knock back some of your other interest bearing finance. Perhaps use the eligibility checker first.

Strongly agree.
  • Geworgie
    Geworgie Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thank you for that! :)
    Now we have the new cc all our finances are 0% now. Hoorah!! So we just crack on paying it all off.

Spending it is much more fun!! 🙄
  • Geworgie wrote: »
    Thank you for that! :)
    Now we have the new cc all our finances are 0% now. Hoorah!! So we just crack on paying it all off.

Spending it is much more fun!! 🙄

So the one CC covered all the non-0% debt? Or you got a second one..?
  • katie4
    katie4 Posts: 430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Geworgie wrote: »
    Thanks!

can i ask who the card is with? thanks
  • Hey could I ask who you got the new card with? In similar situation 😐
  • katie4
    katie4 Posts: 430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hey could I ask who you got the new card with? In similar situation 😐

Hi i asked as well advised it with mbna but i wasnt eligible :(
  • Aaaahh OK. Thank you for the reply
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills