Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights

Comments

• Browntoa wrote: »
    I feel sorry for all those parents who booked Santa trips to Lapland , Monarch were the only direct flyers to Kittila during the winter and did many of the packages , it's a long flight if not direct assuming you can find flights

Hopefully someone may take up the option to fly to Kittila

If anyone's in this situation please read our guide:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/monarch-airlines-collapse-latest-info-and-your-rights
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • r.dorward wrote: »
    I booked and paid for accommdation and (Monarch) flights for next April through Alpharooms, now that Monarch flights are all cancelled, are Alpharooms liable to provide replacement flights ? as we paid Alpharooms not Monarch. Sent couple of emails to Alpharooms but no response.
    Original flight was due at Alicante at 19.30 plus tranfer times so we would arrive at accommoation well after 8pm, contacted Alpharooms for information about keys for apartment as office closes at 6pm but no response, over a week now and no further reponse from Alpharooms.

Hi, our guide should help you with this:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/monarch-airlines-collapse-latest-info-and-your-rights

Join the MSE Forum
  • JoJoClow wrote: »
    Please can anyone advise me.
    On Thursday I received a code from Monarch EU claims for £1685 in compensation for a 6 hour flight delay in August. I chose the credit vouchers as it meant I got 20% more and as we fly Monarch it made sense.
    All I have is the email confirmation of my compensation with the voucher code for £1685. I only got it on Thursday and I'm devastated as you can imagine. I'm a single mum with 3 disabled girls , this was going to pay for flights for other breaks for us.
    As Monarch were paying under the EU Claims for flight delay rules and the credit vouchers cannot be used do I have any rights to claim at all?
    Please please help
    Thanks so much

Hi JoJoClow

We have a section on this in our guide FAQs that may help:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/monarch-airlines-collapse-latest-info-and-your-rights#flightdelays

Join the MSE Forum
  • I booked with PayPal any chance I could claim for direct flights booked with monarch
  • Wayne_h wrote: »
    I booked with PayPal any chance I could claim for direct flights booked with monarch

Hi Wayne h

We've asked about that and are waiting to hear back. Keep an eye on the Paypal section in our guide for updates:

Join the MSE Forum
  • nkkingston
    nkkingston Posts: 488 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 October 2017 at 10:50AM
    My honeymoon flights were booked with Monarch via Paypal. Paypal have got a statement up on their website now. General consensus on the paypal forums is most people will get refunds, but it could take some time (so if you need that money to book replacement flights, don't hold your breath).

Having said that, a lot of people (myself included) are reporting that when they try to raise a dispute Paypal tells them they already have one, but nothing appears in the dispute centre. I don't know if Paypal ha raised a mass dispute that's causing problems, or if the system's overloaded, or what, but it's frustrating because you've got no way of knowing if you're raised your dispute or not.
    Mortgage
    June 2016: £93,295
    September 2021: £66,490
  • I have a flight booked with On The Beach flying with Monarch on Saturday 7th 2017. I have now had confirmation that this is not taking place due to Monarch cancelling all flights. On The Beach are now saying that they are not going to refund my cost as it is a flight only booking.
    The reason I booked with On The Beach is because on their Web Site they offer FULL FINANCIAL PROTECTION. Please can you have a look at a copy of their advert that I have included in this e-mail. When I spoke to On The Beach yesterday after 2 hours of being on hold the lady verbally confirmed I was entitled to a full refund but they have since back tracked on this.

Complete financial protection with ATOL and On the Beach

As an online travel agent, we don't sell package holidays, we let you build your own by giving you access to a wide range of cheap flights, hotels and transfer suppliers, saving you money. And it's great to know when you book your holiday, accommodation or flights through On the Beach, every part is financially protected through either our ATOL protection scheme or ABTA protected Trust.

We were one of the first online travel agents in the UK to have complete financial protection because we know how important peace of mind is to our customers when they book their holiday. That means, in the unlikely event that one of your suppliers or On the Beach experiences financial failure, your money is safe. Whether you're counting down to departure, or already on holiday, you'll have complete peace of mind that you're guaranteed financial protection.
  • I have future flight only booking with Monarch in July 2018 which is not ATOL protected.

I paid with my Amex credit card so I contacted them yesterday. They said they don’t use section 75 unless it’s a last resort as it can take a very long time. They said they dispute the payment and freeze the transaction. They then put a temporary re-credit on your account before the dispute is verified and the credit is made permanent in 6-8 weeks time.

Is this reasonable or am I being fobbed off? Is anyone else having the same or different communications with Amex. I think I read on a forum thread that Santander also dispute the payment too.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,945 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    catwoman73 wrote: »
    If you are flying out with Ryanair and coming back with Monarch, it sounds like you have booked it all yourself direct with the airlines, in which case, it is up to you to look for an alternative flight home.

The only people who are being brought back to the UK on flights arranged for them are people who were already away yesterday morning and were on a package holiday. Everyone else has to make their own arrangements and seek refunds from their payment provider and/or travel insurance if covered.

https://monarch.caa.co.uk/customers/i-have-a-future-booking-and-have-not-travelled-yet/

This isn't true. If you flew out with one airline and due to fly back with Monarch by 15 October, the CAA will bring you home.

See this article from the MSE main site.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Andrew_P wrote: »
    I have a flight booked with On The Beach flying with Monarch on Saturday 7th 2017. I have now had confirmation that this is not taking place due to Monarch cancelling all flights. On The Beach are now saying that they are not going to refund my cost as it is a flight only booking.
    The reason I booked with On The Beach is because on their Web Site they offer FULL FINANCIAL PROTECTION. Please can you have a look at a copy of their advert that I have included in this e-mail. When I spoke to On The Beach yesterday after 2 hours of being on hold the lady verbally confirmed I was entitled to a full refund but they have since back tracked on this.

Complete financial protection with ATOL and On the Beach

As an online travel agent, we don't sell package holidays, we let you build your own by giving you access to a wide range of cheap flights, hotels and transfer suppliers, saving you money. And it's great to know when you book your holiday, accommodation or flights through On the Beach, every part is financially protected through either our ATOL protection scheme or ABTA protected Trust.

We were one of the first online travel agents in the UK to have complete financial protection because we know how important peace of mind is to our customers when they book their holiday. That means, in the unlikely event that one of your suppliers or On the Beach experiences financial failure, your money is safe. Whether you're counting down to departure, or already on holiday, you'll have complete peace of mind that you're guaranteed financial protection.

Under that it says "Read more about your protection"
    Flight-only bookings

With a flight-only booking, our responsibility is to pass the money paid for flights to the airline. This means should your airline fail, you will not be entitled to a refund.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure