Everything & Anything New York City

Comments

• Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,148 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    John259 wrote: »
    Have you explored the official web site?
    https://www.911memorial.org

Thanks for that,googled it yesterday and loads of sites came up,i think that the companies who do the " passes ",ie NY Pass etc list it. Anyway have visited the official site and signed up for the tour and museum,cost a bit more,over $80 but only likely to be there once.:)
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • greenface
    greenface Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    One good thing when we once went was meeting a lot of our friends from around the world and singing Happy Birthday to my lad who was 17 at the time . He is a wheelchair and SLD . we got to the Earthcam in Times Square (used to be one by TFIs) at 5 oclock NYC time with a cake actually given to us from Macys once we told them our plans. Friend and fambo logged on some from AUS /NZ and Sweden and it started as 5 people then 8 then 20 then 120 in times square by the time we finished singing and waving . special time for us and a great memory from our trip . WoWza that was 10 years ago tomorrow was just talking about it last night . http://earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/?cam=tsstreet you can plan a wave home .Its fun
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,148 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    greenface wrote: »
    One good thing when we once went was meeting a lot of our friends from around the world and singing Happy Birthday to my lad who was 17 at the time . He is a wheelchair and SLD . we got to the Earthcam in Times Square (used to be one by TFIs) at 5 oclock NYC time with a cake actually given to us from Macys once we told them our plans. Friend and fambo logged on some from AUS /NZ and Sweden and it started as 5 people then 8 then 20 then 120 in times square by the time we finished singing and waving . special time for us and a great memory from our trip . WoWza that was 10 years ago tomorrow was just talking about it last night . http://earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/?cam=tsstreet you can plan a wave home .Its fun

I am sure your son will never forget it,happy memories:)
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • d0nkeyk0ng
    d0nkeyk0ng Posts: 873 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    SWMBO wants to go to New York. It's a last minute thing as she's only managed to get her annual leave approved. We're planning to go from 8th or 9th April.

Currently, flights are looking around £1500 total if we book through Aer Lingus. That leaves us a hotel budget of around £1000 for four nights.

The tripadvisor reviews for 4* hotels all seem varied and picking one that will be good enough seems to be a struggle. Wyndham New Yorker was one option.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    How much is a Hampton Inn?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Have you had a look on ba.com for flights and hotel? They have some 4 night flight and hotel from around £1,100 per person, so under your total stated budget. Those prices are from London, although they are similar from other UK airports.
  • Just booked some trips :D now looking at tickets for Aladdin - does anyone have any tips on getting lower priced tickets/or which seats to go for, there's some tickets for about $77 each but I'm not sure if they are rubbish seats.
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    I promised myself we wouldn't go back after the combination of high costs and the poor pound, but we've had a bit of a windfall so I have promised we will take the kids (13/17) in December.

Is there such a thing as a decent sit down restaurant in manhattan (ideally midtown but if not, not important) for a reasonably priced meal? Ie 2 courses plus a drink each for 4 people for under $120 before tax and tip?

Or am I dreaming?

Thank you

Lottie
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    19lottie82 wrote: »
    ...Is there such a thing as a decent sit down restaurant in manhattan (ideally midtown but if not, not important) for a reasonably priced meal? Ie 2 courses plus a drink each for 4 people for under $120 before tax and tip? ...

Yes, just don't pick the expensive food and drink on the menu.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    richardw wrote: »
    Yes, just don't pick the expensive food and drink on the menu.

Based on my last 2 recent trips it's not quite that simple!

Any examples to accompany your suggestion?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure