PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

scummy bath

Options
Hi I have a firend who has just moved into her house and the bath is disgusting I have helped her a bit on Saturday and we tried to clean the bath It looks like soap scum as its greyish :eek:I think the house was a HMO property before with several young men renting, so possibly left to who ever felt like cleaning it ...and then didn't bother .

I tried vinegar and bicarb and a scourer, some squirt degreaser and it just it a devil of a job to shift Done about half, with lots of elbow grease thrown it

Anyone know a good way to clean it off I even tried toothpaste as a mild abrasive and that seemed to shift it a little now I'm stumped and I'm sure some one will come up with another answer on here :D
JackieO xx

Comments

• AlwaysAllie
    Options
    Bar keepers friend? Seems to work on things that others shrugged with.

AA
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you tried Stardrops squirted neat on the scummy areas and left for half an hour before using a scrubbing brush and hot water?
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Fill the bath up with hot water to above the scummy level ... and leave it to soak a bit, before you next attempt it with your next choice of product/brush.

I just use a microfibre cloth on mine, each time I have a bath .... after standing up and pulling the plug and before stepping out of the bath. Keeps it clean.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I get that black/gray sticky stuff on sides of my bath and a few times a week I attempt sponging it down, gets rid of the orange marks on it but not the sticky black marks at base.

I guess thats what you mean?
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I agree with AlwaysAllie on the suggestion for Barkeeper's Friend (marvellous stuff) but if you haven't got any then try this.

A generous helping of biological soap powder or soda crystals in the bath, fill with hot water to above the scummy level. Leave overnight, empty bath, then scrub with one of those nylon scourer thingies.
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Fill the bath with hot water and add 2 or 3 cups of biological soap powder. Leave till the water goes cold and pull out the plug and rinse.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If hot water and soap powder doesn't shift might be worth buying some "Elbow Grease", it's great stuff and not dear the Range (and other places sell it).
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks chums I think I have some barkeepers friend indoors I will try that for her tomorrow, also perhaps some stardrops definitely got that at home :)I think it may need napalm :):):)
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cillit bang ?
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If be inclined to try a cream cleaner - I use it for everything stubborn and so far it's o my let me down once (and that was on decades old rust!)
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills