PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

My Thrifty Ways to Save Money

Comments

• I_Love_comps
    I_Love_comps Posts: 2,294 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper
    Thank you JIL for posting on this thread..

We did not smash the pot my husband cut a round hole at the bottom and then put a piece of plastic back into the hole.

What amazes me though is the price of these pots and that they are sold saying to smash them - we had ours as a gift - I would not have spent that much buying one.
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Diary Link My Frugal Year 2023 My Frugal Year 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum

My Challenges
    Make £2023 in 2023. £3.16/£2023 Make £2023 in 2023 — MoneySavingExpert Forum
    Compers Challenge 2023 0 Wins Compers challenge 2023! — MoneySavingExpert Forum

• I_Love_comps
    Morning. Lovely and sunny here today.

No coins to put in the pot today.

Thanks to the Tesco Orchard Programme I have my meat part of the Sunday Dinner free today.

Surveys are another thing I take part in.
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.  Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

My Challenges

• I used to like the Boots rewards system but then I noticed that many things I was buying in there are actually much cheaper elswhere .
    Basics like Paracetamol, allergy tablets, plasters, moisturiser, shampoo. They are significantly cheaper in Wilkinsons. It is well worth shopping around.
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Wilkinsons are really good for over-the counter stuff far cheaper than Boots or Lloyds.I always check there first before I go into a chemist nowadays .My late Dad would be horrified as he was a chemist all of his life and I was born 'over the shop' :):):) But when he was dispensing stuff there wasn't the mass markets there are today and often he would be making stuff on the premises.I can remember counting and stacking prescriptions that my Dad had to parcel up and send off somewhere when I was a little girl, and I think back then a Drs. prescriptions was 1/- (5p) for the 'script no matter how many items were on there How times have changed today

JackieO xx
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I used to like the Boots rewards system but then I noticed that many things I was buying in there are actually much cheaper elswhere .
    Basics like Paracetamol, allergy tablets, plasters, moisturiser, shampoo. They are significantly cheaper in Wilkinsons. It is well worth shopping around.

Perhaps it's not very mse but when I want to buy expensive cosmetics or perfume for myself or for gifts it's better value to go to Boots. It's very rare (unless perhaps a Blue Cross day) for the prices to vary between John Lewis, Debenhams and Boots so the points are useful.
  • Today I have just put two 50 pence piece coins into a large bottle.

Well done ILC, :j - Definitely well worth doing

im housebound now due to poor physical health but when i was out and about and would be spending cash as opposed to now where i do everything online,

Every evening i would empty out all the change from my pockets no matter how much or how little there was and throw it into a plastic box which had a lid on it and a hole cut in the corner which was exposed to me,

one year i took it out in August time and was very pleased when i had it all counted and bagged up for the bank, i couldnt see how much was building up when in the box but by not carrying change around my pockets were in shape in all clothes so saving replacing and repairs and the total of 8 months of the box was a total of £810 which was a lovely bonus, from loose change to hard cash and i didnt miss the change at all, a lot of it was 1p, 2p and 5p pieces but they added up well

The only change that didnt go to this was my 20p bag which was kept in glove compartment of the car and covered parking fees, i had a fob for shopping trolleys on my keyring and kept a bank bag of 10 pound coins in my handbag which covered charity donations / collections / emergency chocolate etc
    MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family,
    without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote
    :beer:
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I used to like the Boots rewards system but then I noticed that many things I was buying in there are actually much cheaper elswhere .

I save my Boots points to use in the 70% off sale in January. I buy gifts for the birthday list, and stock up on toiletries for the year.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • [Deleted User]
    Love the idea of 'emergency' chocolate :):)
  • I_Love_comps
    Morning Everyone.

Oystercatcher and JackieO I do not have a Wilkinsons within walking distance to me and as it would mean a £4 bus ride to visit it I do not go very often - maybe once a year.

I do have a very large T's which stocks all price ranges of goods. Also a Savers and a £ land which is good.

I do not use Boots as often as I used too - but they do have offers and you do get 4 points for every £ spent.

luxor4t I like the 70% off sale too - over the years I have bought many gift sets - this years sale was disappointing though.

miniondancer - Well done on saving that amount in small change.

Not spent anything over the bank holiday weekend - but need to go out today and stock up - so I will see what change I get .

Have a good day all xx

My Challenges

• [Deleted User]
    ILC make sure you have something to eat before you shop, for some reason you will spend more if you are hungry /peckish :), menu plan before you go with things you already have in stock, also make a list of essentials you NEED and only take enough cash to cover with perhaps a pound or two over just in case, that way you won't over spend either, lots of small things that will add up when put together
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure