Contacted by unknown accident claims company after accident. Advice please.

124»

Comments

• Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    badmemory wrote: »
    I'm on my 4th call today. 5 more years of this & I'll have the police round accusing me of making (taking) abusive calls. Definitely going to stop being polite now. It's getting bad when you start recognising their voices, yes voices not accents.

Have you registered with TPS? You can register all numbers with them including mobile numbers. After 28 days if they call you, they are breaking the law. If they call you after this time try and get their company name and address under some pretence and report them to the Information Commisioner. There was a company recently fined £40k for this.
  • Hey BigPhil.

Yes of course i have considered dropping it & moving on. To be honest with you if this was just a total accident, maybe a supermarket bump where the other person got out & was like oh i'm really sorry that's my fault then with the value of the car, age etc i'd probably have just left it.

But the way i see it right now is why on earth should i let this idiot get away with what they did? The whole thing combined. The trying to take 4 cars at once with oncoming traffic. Ok if he was in a Bugatti Veyron or something that could've taken 40 cars in that space/timeframe but he was in a bloody pick up truck. It was never going to make it. Then he pulls in to me - i was the 2nd car so how was he ever going to make the third & fourth? Then he doesn't stop when he should.

The whole thing combined just has me like why should i let him get away with it? Why shouldn't i make sure his record is marked?

If he decides to not declare it for the next 3-5 years that he's been involved in an accident then that's his business. I hope he has to claim in that time & his insurance tell him to get lost because he never declared this accident.

Really the only thing that will stop me going ahead with this is if his insurance company tell me they don't/wont do buy backs & i'll lose my car. That's the only way i'll drop it.

I sent the email off today to firstly ask about their buy back policy & procedure. Gave them full details including photographs asking to communicate via email only (since it seems they source their call centre outside of the UK).

Yes i appreciate my record will also be marked for that same 3-5 year timeframe but it's too late now i'd already called my insurance asking questions about it so it'll be on their database. Even if it hadn't then i would take the hit (no pun intended) just to get this guy marked.
  • I lost my car keys almost 3 years ago and made a claim to get the locks replaced. Since then I've been plagued by similar calls telling me a 3rd party has been injured in my 'accident' and that they can help me...
    I complained to Aviva, as the callers even knew my policy number, but I got nowhere...
    See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35063022
    Good luck!
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,788 Forumite
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    Have you registered with TPS? You can register all numbers with them including mobile numbers. After 28 days if they call you, they are breaking the law. If they call you after this time try and get their company name and address under some pretence and report them to the Information Commisioner. There was a company recently fined £40k for this.

I've been registered for years - the problem is they deny that they are trying to sell you something so it doesn't refer to them.

I wonder if inciting someone to commit fraud is a criminal offense?
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    badmemory wrote: »
    I've been registered for years - the problem is they deny that they are trying to sell you something so it doesn't refer to them.

I wonder if inciting someone to commit fraud is a criminal offense?

Doesn't matter whether they are selling something or not. They are in breach.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure