Comments

• PW333
    PW333 Posts: 23 Forumite
    best websites for me:

directline
    moneysupermarket
  • MGolden
    MGolden Posts: 29 Forumite
    My 18yo son passed his test on 30/12/16. We have been doing daily searches since then with prices ranging from £4K (without a black box) to £2K (with a black box) for a car that is actually little more powerful than a hairdryer.
    Today a policy popped up for £1100. Its with Hastings Direct and includes a black box which means both my husband and myself will have to drive more carefully which isn't really a problem.
  • Hi
    I was wondering if I could get some advice.
    My daughter recently (3 weeks ago) took out her first car insurance with a company called Fresh/ Autosaint.
    Yesterday, having received a text she was having her policy cancelled because a DD wasn't collected (we still don't know why) and she had not sent them her Driving Licence check code we rang them to ask why.
    They then said that my daughter had entered the wrong DOB 2000 instead of 1999, which she hadn't, it was going to add £364 to her premium.
    When we said we will cancel they told us it would cost us £538 to do so. £330 deposit we paid up front and £208 in admin fees. Bearing in mind she has only been insured with this company for 3 weeks.
    Is there anyway we can bring this loss down?.
    If I cancel my policy it costs a £60 admin fee how can this be legal?
  • rudekid48
    rudekid48 Posts: 2,382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Have Autosaint fitted the black box yet? If so, this is why your charges are higher as they will have paid for the tech.
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
  • Yes they have. Just seems so excessive
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,551 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The companies at the cheaper end of the market tend to have higher admin fees.

It works if you do not need to make changes because you dont pay any extra fees. But with the choice of the cheaper insurers you run the risk that any changes can be costly.

Same with my daughter her insurer is not one you would choose if you had the choice, but for young drivers its usually down to the price. Low price overrules low quality customer service.

The black box can bump up the fees though, i made sure not to choose a policy with a black box.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• anna-marie
    anna-marie Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Had a quote of £1,200 (with telematics) from Tesco for my 18 yr old driving a new corsa. Do you think anyone else will do it cheaper or should I go for this one?
  • GeoffJ
    GeoffJ Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    My son's first policy in 2015 with Hastings Direct was £969 - no black box; 1300 cc enging. He then passed the Pass Plus course and got a refund. Sadly, he then wrote the car off through no fault of his own when, on a dark road at night, he trampled over a strip of metal in the road (used by vehicles en-route to the skip). The metal (a spring) flipped up, hit the side panel where the curtain air bag sensor was, and blew the curtain air bags. The car had a slight chip on the outside but nothing else was wrong. well, it was because the repair would cost as much as the car was worth. Hastings were brilliant and within a day of an assessor viewing the car it was off to the breakers and my son had the full market value cheque in his hand. He then insured the replacement and, as it now had a 1500 cc engine, and he had written one car off we expected a jump in the insurance. It barely moved upwards. Also, bear in mind that once the learner passes, he/she has to tell the insurer and the price goes up as he/she is now on their own and the risk is greater. I recommend the Pass Plus course. Oh, just to be clear, I don't work for Hasting Direct or have anything to do with them. In my view, insurers sit alongside estate agents and solicitors in the money grabbing tables - but that has not been my experience with Hastings and, come renewal, my son will go through the exact process that MSE advocates to get a good deal. It has worked twice so far.
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 March 2017 at 6:49PM
    anna-marie wrote: »
    Had a quote of £1,200 (with telematics) from Tesco for my 18 yr old driving a new corsa. Do you think anyone else will do it cheaper or should I go for this one?
    I got similar cover for £200-300 less, but perhaps I live in an area they judge safer or there's another risk factor that explains the difference.
    koru
  • alxx_b
    alxx_b Posts: 22 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well I give up - 18yo daughter has passed her test, has a little crappy car and wants to be able to drive around and get experience but can't get insurance under £2,000.

The insurance people say she will get a better rate when she has been passed for a year or more, as she is marked as an inexperienced driver right now, but how is she meant to get any experience when she cannot afford to insure a car?

I'm going round in circles - the telematics policies won't touch her car because it's over 15 years old, we cannot afford £250 per month for insurance, even putting her on my current policy with Hastings would push it up from £250 to £2,700 per annum!
    :A Debt Free Wannabee :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport