PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Tuesday 21st November 2017

Options
nmlc
nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 21 November 2017 at 7:37AM in Old style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Tuesday 21st November 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly.

Dinner last night was smoked sausage and mushroom pasta with creme fraiche sauce and menfolk had a breaded chicken portion too. Tonight will be pork steaks, mash, veg and gravy.

Yesterday I did get some of the "to do" list completed, so I'll continue with that this today. The dirty wash basket still has clothes in it, so will continue with that until it's empty today. I'll then get going with the ironing. I weighed out the dried fruit for the xmas cake and xmas puds, that is all now soaking in rum, I'll be making those towards the end of the week, last year I didn't soak the fruit for very long and you could really tell, so will go back to how I normally do it. Yesterday lunch time I fancied some of the leek and potato soup I had made so lunch for me was a bowl of that and some granary bread - lovely, I have enough soup left for lunch today, so that's what I'll be having. I'd forgotten how much I love HM soup. I'll probably make some to take into work as we have a microwave at work, several of my colleagues bring in LO's from their dinner the night before and re-heat it for their lunch. I love my daily salad lunch but in the winter sometimes you just want something warm.

I'll just potter along getting stuff done at my own pace.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone :hello:

It's very mild here this morning, no need for the heating on which is great. I have been rushing around getting some washing on, unloading the dishwasher and cleaning the sink as I have someone coming at 8.30 to plaster and retile the wall from where the old boiler was ripped out. It has looked like such a mess for the best part of a year now so it will be fantastic to get it finally sorted out.

My sister took me and Becky back to the hospital yesterday. It was very emotional for me but Becky was happy to go back, she just feels safer there at the moment. It is very hard feeling that you can't protect your own child but unfortunately that is the nature of her illness. Hopefully the next time she gets some leave she will have learned better ways to cope.

I need to spend some time with the other two girls now as they have been a little neglected whilst Becky was home. I feel a shopping trip coming on :). I have done quite a bit of online Christmas shopping but I want to have a look round the local shops too.

I made a massive pan of stew yesterday so there is plenty left for today's dinner. I may make a victoria sponge if the tiler finishes in time.

Congratulations on Grump getting a job, Judi. Hopefully that will take some of the pressure off.

elona, I know what you mean about cooking for larger amounts of people. Your meal ideas sound delicious and it is a great idea to get stocked up for the unexpected guests.

Well, I hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 November 2017 at 10:39PM
    Options
    Morning Nmlc and all

The house is quiet apart from 2 snoring hounds. There was no clash on the stairs when the men left for work this morning due to the fact Grump was out the door at 3 hoping to be on time for his induction at 8.

Today I must

[STRIKE]Vacuum throughout
    Bleach bathroom
    Clean stairs hand rail
    Prepare tea
    Clean leather settees[/STRIKE]

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all
  • ancientofdays
    Options
    Morning all, had a busy day doing very little of note yesterday so wasn't here.
    Dumpling, I hope that next time Becky comes home, it will feel easier for her. Every day gives her the opportunity to take a little step forwards.
    Judi, good news for Grump, for all of you.
    Nannywindows, I'd be seething too.

I'm enjoying not working though I do have something to sort out today.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 21 November 2017 at 8:01AM
    Options
    Morning everyone

Gers I have only ever had the stolen with marzipan in.
    Judi Good news about Grump’s job.
    Dumpling I'm thinking of you all. Hopefully next time Becky comes home she will be a lot better.

I successfully got most of the housework done yesterday so can have a nice easy day today, reading and maybe watching a couple of things that I have recorded this afternoon.

There is a new bakery and coffee house opened up in the town and a friend has suggested that we go up there this morning for a coffee and cake. I’m hoping that I feel up to going out if not I will ask her here for a coffee instead, although we won’t get the cake because I’ve run out of the supplies in the freezers.

I must go and put the recycling out in a minute, they collect fairly early on this estate and I don’t want to miss them because I’ve got a lot of paper/cardboard to go out this time.

Hugs to those having a difficult time.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Options
    Morning all.

Thanks for the thread nmlc and hugs to all those in need.

I've bee awake for an hour but I've not bothered to get up as I don't need to yet.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've bee awake for an hour but I've not bothered to get up as I don't need to yet.
    Enjoy your lie in Hester.:D
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all

Cold here and still pitch black so I cant see what the weather is going. Off to work for me today and we are having inspections this week kind of like Ofsted, its causing slight panic at work with some staff but I am sure it will be fine.

Something with chicken for dinner not sure what yet, I might do a spicy chicken and olive tray bake or summer in winter chicken, will see what we fancy later.

Got to go up at some point and pull out all the xmas / Birthday presents and pull out the Birthday ones so that I can wrap them, its both dd's and OH next week along with a load of other family members.

Need to do a wash tonight and have a sweep through.

Judi well done to your OH on his job xx

Have good days all xx
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    :bdaycake::bdaycake:

Happy Birthday to Hester, have a fab day and enjoy your lie in ;)
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Happy Birthday Hester, hope you have a fabulous day xxxx

:bdaycake::bdaycake:
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    Morning folks and thanks NMLC. A mild start here too so no heating on.

Well done to GRUMP on the job. Enjoy your peace JUDI, DUMPLING ((HUGS)) LAMEWOLF thinking of you and it's no good me saying try not to worry as I know it's not that easy, as it's what I spend my life doing.

Nice to have the Stollen recommendations nom nom. My favourite Xmas food. The best I have ever had was from Leeds Xmas Market - made in Dusseldorf. The following year we had a girls' trip to Dusseldorf for the Xmas markets there and Cologne and the first thing I bought was Stollen! This year it will be M & S!

We have the delights of a trip to Leeds today for St James. It's another blood test that needs doing before his next CT scan in December. He had one done at our local hospital and the results were sent on to Leeds. For some reason this one needs doing in Leeds. As it's just a blood test he is leaving me in Leeds centre and I'll have a browse in TKMaxx and their HomeSense store and, of course, the market and meet up with him when he is back down from the hospital. I can imagine Leeds will be ultra busy with Xmas shoppers so we are going to stop off for a late lunch somewhere on our way home.

Have a good day folks and ((HUGS)) for all who need/want them. Take care xx

Editing to add birthday wishes to HESTER! That escaped me sorry!! x
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure