First Time-Buyer Advice Request

Hello! - Hoping someone can help.

I currently live with my wife. My wife owns the property that we live in on her own, my name is not on the mortgage. The value of the property is £115k and her equity in the property is £35k.

We are looking to move house very soon. We have already put our house up for sale.

My question is: if we now buy a property together am I classed as a first time buyer?

Can I (we) take advantage of some financial products as a first time-buyer? i.e. help to buy ISA or help to buy mortgage on a new build. How do these products work if my wife is not a first-time buyer?

We would be looking to move house in the next 2-6 months subject to an offer on the house owned by my wife.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You might be a FTB but she is NOT as she owns a property.
    It makes VERY little difference to the offers from Lenders.
    Your wife has built up equity in her property and you can use that to provide a deposit for the joint home you are buying.

"Who is eligible?
    To qualify for a Help to Buy: ISA you must:

be 16 or over
    have a valid National Insurance number
    be a UK resident
    be a first time buyer, and not own a property anywhere in the world
    not have another active cash ISA in the same tax year: If you have opened a cash ISA this tax year, you can open a Help to Buy: ISA but will have to take additional steps. See the FAQ for more detail "

So NO you cant use a Help To Buy ISA
  • You can be treated as a FTB. My daughter and son in law did just that. My daughter had a previous property, her then boyfriend moved in. They got married, sold the flat and took out a FTB mortgage as my son in law had never purchased before.

You can open a help to buy isa but your wife can't.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure