Oiled fired heating and wood stove heating

Options
I appreciate that prices differ from region to region and the north of Ireland is high up that scale so this can really only be a general answer

My living area is zoned so I can just heat my living room, I also have a stand alone wood burner. Now I’m just wondering, broadly speaking, would it cost more to heat this room via oil or wood?

To be honest I use oil up to about 4 o’clock and then light the fire; it’s much more cosy! However, the winter weather is beginning to set in and I can see myself spending more time indoors - I’m retired. As I said I’m just wondering if there is that big of a cost difference? However, to be truthful cosyness will probably overcome cost ;)

Comments

• Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Although as I read it the calculations are for boilers fed by the different fuels http://www.nottenergy.com/energy_cost_comparison/ might give you some idea of costs per kWh .... and correct the numbers for your local prices.

That suggests using oil is likely to be slightly cheaper than bought in seasoned wood.

Obviously if you have your own small forest to chop down as needed then wood is the much cheaper option - but more physical effort will be needed ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure