MSE News: Sainsbury's to run Nectar 'double-up' promo next month

If you've a stash of Nectar points, you may want to hold off spending them until next month – Sainsbury's has announced it will run its next 'double-up' event in mid-November...
Read the full story:
'Sainsbury's to run Nectar 'double-up' promo next month'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,949
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Shamelessly lifted form jamgin on HUKD
    Sainsburys have listened and have made the rules simpler this year.
    To redeem these are the rules:
    1. One item of red clothing to be worn.
    2. Must walk backwards to the customer services desk when redeeming.
    3. Maximum points to redeem = number of letters in department name x 3.14 divided by the number of times Brexit is mentioned in the Daily Mail on the day of redemption.
    4. If your name is John or Tracey then no redeeming on Thursday.
    5. All Christmas jumpers and cookery books from ex Bake Off contestants excluded from offer.

Simples.
    I think....
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Is any money saver seriously still shopping at over priced Sainsbury's and still collecting nectar points, the scheme really is irrelevant.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,949
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    richardw wrote: »
    Is any money saver seriously still shopping at over priced Sainsbury's and still collecting nectar points, the scheme really is irrelevant.

30k points worth a minimum of £150 (at Sainsburys) for opening a nectar amex and spending 2k (anywhere) within 3 months. Worth a credit search.

Suggestion is using the double up, purchase computer games that have the highest cash exchange value at CEX. Officially it is only 1 double up per category but this has always been the rule in the past but using multiple visits / cardholders this rule has always previously been circumventable.
    I think....
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,881
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Not much of a "promotion" when it doesn't even restore customers to the position they were in before Sainsburys cut in half the number of nectar points they awarded per pound spent.
  • Ozne
    Ozne Posts: 31
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I'm just disappointed that it'll be a month too early for me to get the latest Game Of Thrones DVD. :(
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,276
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite

There's a few own-brand products at Sainsbury's that I prefer to the other brands, including the other supermarkets' own-brands.

Besides, being able to buy, and top up, Sainsbury's gift cards at 4% below face value makes a difference.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite

I live next to a large Sainsbury's so yes I do shop there.

Alternatives are walk 20 minutes to Asda / Morrisons, take a bus to Waitrose or drive 10 minutes to Tesco.

Milk and a few other things are the same price everywhere so it doesn't really matter.

Nectar - I pick them up on ebay, better than nothing. I should really stop bothering with Nectar on the rare times I fuel up at BP, since it takes 30 seconds to get almost 0 points. (Similarly I've stopped picking up 1p coins from the street unless I really have nothing else to do when I see one)
  • Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 24 October 2017 at 10:03AM
    Just received the email:
    There's not long left to wait until our Nectar Double Up event goes live. From 15 - 21 November, your points could be worth twice as much.
    So make sure you keep swiping and building your points. Then you're ready to Double Up to a £10, £20, £30 or £40 voucher to spend in one of seven departments. Just what you need to share some extra special moments with your friends and family.

T&Cs

I still collect nectar points from rail journeys mainly and occasional shopping at Sainsbury's - their jumbo toilet rolls are still competitive per m2.
    Free thinker.:cool:
  • Does anyone know whether you can have 2 vouchers per category, one for the main and one for a supplementary?
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,314
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Does anyone know whether you can have 2 vouchers per category, one for the main and one for a supplementary?

It's one voucher per category per Nectar card only, as stated in the article.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure