Happy Beds mattresses?

starryshell
starryshell Posts: 135 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 30 July 2013 at 7:41PM in I wanna buy it or do it
Has anyone heard of or bought a Happy Beds mattress?

I'm looking at a new mattress, and this fits my exact specifications - high spring count, natural materials used inside, etc. yet the price of theirs compared to competitors is astoundingly different.

http://www.happybeds.co.uk/signature-2000-pillowtop-pocket-sprung-mattress#/mattress_type-pocket_sprung_mattress/mattress_tension-medium/size-king_size_5ft

The current price of this mattress is £290. Comparable mattresses - on paper at least - are several hundred more.

They've got rave reviews on Amazon, many from verified purchasers. But I bought a real dud of a divan set a few years ago, and I'm quite wary of something that looks too good to be true - because it usually isn't.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Happy-Beds-Signature-Organic-Mattress/dp/B0077CCRK0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1375209623&sr=8-6&keywords=happy+beds+king

My budget is quite limited, which is also why this appeals to me.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Advice?

Thanks!

Comments

• Pinkypants
    Pinkypants Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Just don't expect much in the terms of fillings. Yes they may be natural but there won't be much of them.

Pillowtops do go quite flat once in use, it says it's medium feel so in real terms it'll be quite soft. As very few mattresses online are ever sold as soft, as we all been brought up with this notion that soft beds are bad for you. So very few companies will describe a mattress as soft, as it won't sell very well.

Also I feel the edges of the mattress will be very weak.

Looking at the margins of beds that they don't make i.e Barcelona Wood Bed frame from Julian Bowen.

There profit margin seems very similar to what most online sellers would use.

So I'd say it's a cheap mattress that won't last very long. It's not a good mattress that's low in price.

Their T+C's like so many are illegal, "returned to us in re-saleable condition, in its full original carton/box."

That bits not true, customer must ensure goods are looked after, but that's all. DSR's allow for unpacking and understand that it's not always possible to repackage as item arrived.
    Helping the country to sleep better....ZZZzzzzzzz
  • starryshell
    Thanks for that, I had a feeling there was something just not quite right about it.

Would you have any recommendations for a mattress that fits this type of spec, only better made?
  • Pinkypants
    In terms of spring count,fillings or pillowtop or all 3?

If spring count why do you feel that 2000 would suit your needs?
  • starryshell
    Pinkypants wrote: »
    In terms of spring count,fillings or pillowtop or all 3?

If spring count why do you feel that 2000 would suit your needs?

Spring count and fillings mostly. It is because we're bigger people.
  • Pinkypants
    This is a cracking mattress for the money, you'll have to have a look around and try to find mattress only. As my link is for the whole set.

http://www.bestpricebeds.co.uk/restus-crystal-3000-natural-pocket-divan-bed-pid4506.html
  • Thank you. I'm not familiar with Restus - are they generally good, or just this particular model is good but the rest are meh?
  • Pinkypants
    edited 2 August 2013 at 10:54AM
    Restus are very good value for money, due to much smaller over heads then most of the big boys.

Like most companies they do a range from very cheap and horrible to top end.

The model I recommended is towards their top end, but the side stitching really is a benefit. The mattress really is quite hefty, as a general rule the heavier a piece of furniture is the better it is.

They make mattresses for John Lewis and Next so quality really isn't an issue.
  • Pinkypants wrote: »
    ...the side stitching really is a benefit. The mattress really is quite hefty, as a general rule the heavier a piece of furniture is the better it is....

How can you tell if the side stitching is of good quality?

Again, thanks for all of your information!
  • Pinkypants
    Honestly I've never been asked that question or even thought about it. So as for an answer I'm not so sure.

All I can say that hand side stitching takes around 1 hour per row. Can't really see how this could be done badly at it'll be obvious when you look at the mattress as stitches would be missing.

Some mattresses have a "mock" side stitched boarder which is added to the boarder by a sewing machine before it's even attached to the mattress. The only way to tell is really to see it in real life, pictures can be deceiving.

If you push down on a mock side stitch mattress the boarder will bow out, hand side stitched it'll concertina downwards.
  • I had the same questions as starryshell regarding Happy Beds. After speaking to them over the phone, I eventually bought a bed and mattress from them.

In all honesty, the items are very good. The prices are super good, as when I spoke to them, they mentioned that they manufacture themselves and can afford to sell them at wholesale prices with no store expenses involved.

I bought from them again recently with no qualms. Starryshell go for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure