Can a Learner Driver have their own insurance on my car?

My daughter will be turning 17 soon and is looking to learn to drive. I have been quoted £1400+ to add her as a named driver to my insurance policy. (My annual price is less than £300 for fully comp)

Is it legal for her to take out her own policy (against my car - which will stay in my ownership etc.) but she takes out her own policy which is Third Party Fire & Theft and starts to build her own NCD
I have tried some comparison sites and we can get her insurance for circa £400 on this basis.

I understand this way brings additional risk, in that if she has an accident which is her fault, then we will have to pay our own repairs. In the event we do need to make a claim, I would not be looking to double insure and claim from both companies, but I simply want to split the risk on the same car.

But will this route invalidate my insurance? Is this approach legal?

Comments

• Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,553 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 November 2017 at 3:31PM
    Have you had a look at provisional marmalade?

https://www.wearemarmalade.co.uk/learner-driver-insurance
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    It's legal. Get quotes for comprehensive, it may not be much more expensive.

Also look at marmalade as suggested, and https://www.collingwoodlearners.co.uk/UK/
  • ROY47
    ROY47 Posts: 542 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    If you mean you keep your own insurance on your car
    Daughter takes out her own insurance on your car

Which means 2 insurance policies on same car ?
    Can't do that I'm afraid can't insure same car on 2 different policies
  • ROY47 wrote: »
    If you mean you keep your own insurance on your car
    Daughter takes out her own insurance on your car

Which means 2 insurance policies on same car ?
    Can't do that I'm afraid can't insure same car on 2 different policies

Rubbish, of course you can. My wife and I both have policies on my car.
  • Dthomas wrote: »
    we can get her insurance for circa £400 on this basis.
    You will probably find that £400 is for 12 months of insurance whilst your daughter is on a provisional licence, and therefore has to be accompanied in your car. Once she gets her full licence, expect to see that figure rise substantially.
  • cheaper to have them take lessons privately to be honest. better for you as you dont have to go out on weekends to teach her and better for her as she can be taught by an expert and not from someone who has picked up their own bad driving habits and not realised.
  • She is still planning on taking lessons, but given I currently have to drive her around (to her part time work etc) several times a week, I was hoping she could use this as "additional" practice and maybe reduce the amount of lessons she needs overall.
    Also. in my experience, whilst learning anything new (playing an instrument, learning a language etc) then more regular and frequent practice, even if it for short duration, is better than 1 or 2 longer sessions with big gaps of non activity in between.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You may also find they pick up bad habits whilst not supervised by an instructor. The goal is to pass a test here remember which (dare I say) go out the window once passed.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    BoGoF wrote: »
    The goal is to pass a test here remember which (dare I say) go out the window once passed.

That is not an attitude which any parent should adopt, let alone pass on to his offspring. The goal is to become a safe driver.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure