Sensible ASHP quote?

2»

Comments

• Hi

Thanks again for the advice, Cardew.

I've researched the installer, and the Nibe. However, after asking the installer what flow temp would be required, from my understanding I don't see how an ASHP is viable for my property.

Even if I changed every radiator in the property, according to the installer a flow tempt of 50° would be advised.

From what I understand this is too high?

According to Nibe, the F2040-12 COP values are:

7/50 = 3,37
    2/50 = 2,56
    -7/50 = 2.24

I have tried working out ballpark minimum break-even COP values (I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly):

Electricity: 13.36p per kWh
    LPG (38p per litre): 5.5p per kWh

Min COP break-even: 2.42

I'm assuming I need to adjust for boiler efficiency?

2.42 - 24% (old boiler) = 1.83

If the ASHP needs to run for double the time to heat the property to the same level as LPG, would I need to double this figure to get a good minimum estimate?

Is this in any way correct?
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I've got a Daikin 11kw split ASHP but with an overlay u/f system which we've had since September 2010. It's in a 140sq.m bungalow of 1986 vintage with original cavity wall insulation, 300mm+ in the loft and 1999 double glazing.

Ours has a flow rate of between 30-40degrees depending on the outside temperature. I personally wouldn't like to run a system at 50degrees as I'm guessing that it's running a bit close to having the back-up/boost heater.

It's reckoned that every degree above about 35degrees flow temp will impact efficiency by around 2.5%, so running it at 50 dgrees will reduce your efficiency by nearly 40%.

I'd strongly advise that you look at your radiator sizing because one that's rated at 2kw with a flow of around 65 degrees will be giving a lot less, probably 50% less at 35 degrees so you'll be cold.

I would never ever recommend just sticking an ASHP onto an existing system. As JeepJunkie says the pipework need to be adequate for the flow and the emitters should be capable of heating the the room adequately.

I'm not an expert but I'd guess that an 8.5kwh ASHP wont be big enough and will have to use the back-up heater to maintain it's output when it very cold.

I'e do my own calcs if I were you because if the system isn't spec right you'll be cold, it will cost you and you may not get the RHI unless it conforms to their latest specs.

It's a big investment and need to be carefully considered. Do it right and they are excellent, do it wrong and you'll be very disappointed.

I'm not convinced that a solar array will help all that much. We heat our house in the winter when the sun doesn't shine much, it's at the wrong angle and we use the majority of our energy in the early mornings, late afternoons and evening when it doesn't shine at all.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • himmerz
    himmerz Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 8 April 2019 at 8:35PM
    Did you ever get the nibe installed? If so how are you getting on with it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure