The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Comments

• Good Morning :hello:

Gosh, time is whizzing - must be a Bank holiday or sumfink! If you are working all, or any part of this BH, I hope that time is not dragging for you.......

hex - I was in mrA yesterday, and saw their 20p offering. Very similar to mrM with spring greens and turnips (as well as carrots, parsnips and leeks :D)

My lentil kedgeree concotion was scoffed on Thursday night. I didn't take a pic, as it would never win any glamour awards, but it filled a gap, utilised some of the S6 leeks and some store cupboard ingredients. I did get DH to buy feta for it (not a traditional ingredient!), due to bought eggs at the moment seemingly being cracked - I can no longer rely on buying 6 eggs and having 6 eggs at my disposal to use! I'm currently avoiding buying eggs from mrL, as it ended up that I couldn't use 3 out of the 12 I bought from them the other week - that's too high a waste percentage for our household I'm afraid :(

I met up with my chum, we had a ball and a laugh and a walk. Perfick.

Tea last night was black olive pizza. I'll not post a pic, as apart from the fact that the wedges didn't burn last night, it looks exactly the same as the black olive pizza we had a couple of weeks ago! :rotfl: I used the mrL 29p King Edwards for wedges, they cooked well - not super crispy, like roasties, but ok.

Hopefully today we will complete a mix of banking, shopping, charitable donating and then taking a sanger for a wander in a local beauty spot :D That's the vague plan anyway. Although I have not yet detailed it to DH who will probably moan the entire time that he's got chores to attend to at home...... ho hum. There is truth in that statement, but we'll also achieving stuff by getting our toot out of the house and to a chazza, so that they can sell it and raise money and ensuring there is money in our accounts to pay bills and meet our commitments.

And of course, I have not yet looked out of the window in sufficient light to check that it is not pouring with rain.......... :rotfl:

Right, I've no more MS stuff to report, I don't think. So best shift-a-tail-feather and start making sangers....... :D

Ta for popping in, reading and joining in the right-priced vegetable hunt :D

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £2/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £120.73/215
    Non-food household spend April £25.94/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Charity Blankets completed 1/24
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 April 2017 at 4:26PM
    Good Afternoon :hello:

Well, we've had fun, fun, fun and there were birds twittering all the way, I have to say :D

We dropped 6 big bags of stuff at the chazza; so space created at Greying Towers, money will be raised for a children's charity, and I even got a 'thank you' :j:D

We had a quick pootle around to the wholefood shop and bought some bay leaves, and I resisted the temptation to buy beluga lentils :D:money:

We wandered over to the bank and deposited the cheques, which apparently won't clear until a week on Monday. I realise that there is a bank holiday, but I thought cheque clearance was gonna speed up?

We wandered over to the square to see the once good street market, to find that it has been reduced to 3 stalls - 2 selling toot and one selling pet accessories; no fruit, no veg, no broken biscuits, no dodgy denim with one leg longer than the other :( t'weren't like the good auld days..... :rotfl: I treated DH to a coffee in an achingly hip caff. £5.50 for a 'flat white' and a 'latte'............... ho hum.

It was then that we decided to beat a hasty retreat to the local beauty spot. Rather glad we did :D Free parking :j Fresh air :j Sunshine :j and flora, fauna and industrial heritage to look and marvel at; and revel in :D

We ate our picnic lunch at a lovely spot that had the most wonderful 180 degree view. Egg sangers, veggie 'sausage' rolls and a choccy bun - does life get any richer?

We've seen plenty more swallows today - more on the wing than on the wire. We saw on of these, right above our heads in a tree, we stayed quiet and watched it for several minutes - wonderful to get up so close to such a shy and reclusive little bird. And at our picnic spot, we were up on a level with the local buzzard population - marvellous.

And there is still daylight to do chores by :j

TTFN, Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Well, start of the working week...... ah yes, Tuesday!

Hope the weather was better for you this long weekend (unless, of course, you were having to/wanting to work). We had the best of the sunshine whilst we ate our pancakes on Easter Sunday. I don't think I'll bother to repeat the recipe which can be found HERE, not as per anyway. I don't think it would harm if you cut the almond meal down and replaced with flour (assuming you're not gluten intolerant - that would obvs be a no-no), as, in economic parlance, the marginal utility of almond was somewhat wasted. I added orange zest and vanilla extract into my batter, and was rather glad that I did.

As the weather declined, we seemed to sleep most of Easter Sunday - which was obviously needed by us all. Tea on Sunday was fush, chups and mushy peas, and apart from inadvertently picking up the fish in batter (yuk! - the grease that came out!), rather than in breadcrumbs, it was just the ticket - low prep, easy eat.

Pants weather here yesterday meant much more sleeping, although I seemed to miss out on this round :( I did pop up the high street in the afternoon, as I had to get one or two necessary items. I popped into M&$ - by far the busiest place in greying town - I think everyone was yellow sticker shopping. I got some bananas and then noticed that they had reduced their 'bagged' bananas - organic and one pack of non-organic. The non-organic normally retail for £1 a bag (I think) and had been reduced to 35p. I was almost tempted to buy them, but then thought to weigh them. Had they been sold loose, they only would have cost 42p (ish) anyway, and one of the bananas in the bag was bashed and bruised, and would have needed using straight away. I put the bag back for someone else to 'bag a bargain.....' And purchased my bunch of nicely ripe bananas from the 'unbagged' section. It pays to check................... Although I have noticed that in line with mrW, m&$ have started to knock less off some of their YS'd items. A lady in front of me in the queue was buying 2 pork chops that had been reduced from £5-something, to £1.40, which I thought was a good reduction (although the chops were only thin), but I noticed a pizza in the chiller that was £4-80something reduced price - goodness only knows what it was priced to start with.

Tea last night was 'shepherdess pie', made with 2 types of lentils and the topping was 3 veg mash (carrot, parsnip & potato) to make use of the mrAl and mrL bounty. I wouldn't bother with the leeks from mrAl S6, again, this promotion. They didn't last 5 minutes before going yellow and mushy - I have one left to use. The potatoes were excellent (make gorgeous mash) and the carrots were good. I threw the equivalent of one bag of parsnips from mrAl in the compost, they went all sticky, mushy and smelly :( MrL's tiny tatties were OK, but the mrAL offer of white potatoes was much better. MrL's carrots were OK as were the parsnips. In theory these offers are good, but are dependent on having good storage - how i wish I had a paper sack, so I could have more mrAl tatties! but in practice, I think that the freshness of some of the produce was geared toward one meal, on the 16th, rather than for frugal households to eke out their grocery bill. Still, as I've said, there was a difference between the quality of product between retailers, and I know some branches don't necessarily have the best rotation/presentation of fresh produce. And perhaps I was just unlucky with the parsnips......

Tea tonight will be Afghan Carrot hotpot, a dish that MWC told me about yonks ago. We've not had it in a while, and have a surfeit of carrots....... I bought some yellow split peas from HB (500g 49p) yesterday for it.

I think that is about all MS that I have to report, so I'll vamoose orf.

TTFN, Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,216 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It must all be down to storage with these veg offers as my MrAl parsnips were delicious, and I have 3 left that still look fine, but the Mr L ones we had mid-week were tasteless. The MrAl leeks were fine in texture and freshness but didn't have a great deal of flavour in the leek and potato soup - fortunately I had some home-made chicken stock in the freezer to boost it. Glad I didn't bulk buy them all the same.
    I succumbed to the courgettes and griddled them along with Halloumi both marinated in chili and coriander, and took them to a potluck barbecue at the weekend. They went down so well that I didn't even get to try them!
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00

LD 11.24 £500.00/£325.00 (65%)     INS 12.24 £600.00/£000.00
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£060.00 (13%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£083.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0600.00

• Good evening :hello:

joeyjimbles - the courgette dish sounds grand - no wonder it went in a flash! The leeks I had were very fiborous, I made cream of leek soup (but with yoghurt) and it couldn't be described as velvety...... still, my big and small colons will probably thank me..... ;)

I grated some fresh turmeric earlier, and caught some on my finger. I look like I've a 40 fags a day habit. It's most distracting....... :rotfl:

BG was a bit fractious today, so we didn't go out and make the most of the fine weather :( But then we spent no money either :) Not claiming a NSD though, as DH bought supplies from mrL, so money has been spent.

The afghan carrot hotpot was really nice. Quite a simple, straight forward dish, and relatively frugal too :D I served it with basmati rice and broccoli. Picture here;

003_zpswyxvrd18.jpg

Today i am grateful for these 3 things;

for health and well-being

for frugal recipes

for the freezer

Ta for popping by, reading and joining in the vegeable discussions. Appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    All this talk of food is making me hungry ,loving all the recipes .I am taking lots of my plants out of my garden and replacing them with vegetables so far i have new potatoes and beetroot ,i have had two raised vegetable gardens for several years but as time has gone on we seem to eat much less meat and lots more veg so time for a change its actually looking better than i thought it would plants and veg mixed together quite pretty .
    I bought a sack of potatoes i thought it was a good idea and would save money but i am now halfway through the sack and noticing lots are very soft and lots are shooting its so annoying i have used them mainly for jacket potatoes the other problem is my aga is now out and using an electric oven for a couple of hours for jacket potatoes is so expensive i will have to get my slow cooker out i think and cook them in there sorry thinking out loud and rambling on .Keep up the good work i love copying your ideas just wish you could cook them for me too that would be even better .
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,307 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    If you have a microwave then blast your tatties in there until just cooked through then shove in a blazing hot oven for just 15 minutes or so - crisps them up a treat. :)
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thank you .I dont have a microwave but i really think i should buy one ,i have always been slightly nervous of them but we do eat a lot of jacket potatoes with our salads so im guessing i should get a bit mote with it .I often see them on freecycle too so will look out for one to try ,

We've clearly been having way too much fun, as time has just flown.

Spending has been kept in check - just as well, as the credit card bill is in for some necessary items for DH, so we'll be getting the penny jar out and beginning to count!

I did pop into mrT yesterday, as it was a rare day where Mrs Greying had a hold of the car keys! :j I picked up some of their lincolnshire style veggie sausages, as whenever I actually purposely put them on my list, they are OOS! When I was driving home, I was thinking what to do with them, and thought that toad-in-the-hole would be good, but knew I was out of eggs. That's where serendipity stepped in, as I got chatting to a neighbour as I walked down our street, and ended up being gifted several duck eggs (never used duck, nor goose eggs before) - how cool is that? I didn't even mention about tea/sausages nor lack of eggs. So toad-in-the-hole was on.....................

012_zpsk0qahkuc.jpg

The parsnips were mrL, tatties mrAl as was the leek. Carrots probably a mix from Al & L. YUM!

Tonight should be pizza - probably just cheese, as i don't think we have anything else. wedges will be conjoured up from the wide assortment of tatties at my disposal!

I can't think of anything else MS off the top of my head, so I'll vamoose.

Ta for popping by and talking baked tatties - I do mine in the microwave then oven, but only if I've the oven on for summat else, coz I is tight............;)

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,529 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Morning GP!

On the subject of being tight...
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Well actually on the subject of cheese...
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Mr L is having Super Weekend & has an 800g block on for 1.79...

I may even convince OH that we NEED to go on a weekend jaunt to the village to get some...
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport