45 years old and 47.5 BMI. I need help

Comments

• Amysdad70
    Amysdad70 Posts: 58 Forumite
    A bike would be great, but I would worry that it would turn into a clothes hanger :)

Do they even sell home exercise bikes for 23 stone people?
  • Angry_Bear
    Angry_Bear Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    edited 9 July 2015 at 9:26AM
    A couple of years ago I has a BMI of 42 and was extremely unfit.
    Now I'm in the "healthy" band (BMI of 24), with a reasonable amount of muscle and am training for my first triathlon.

I really got there by making small changes and getting them to be habit, then making more small changes. While I understand the point made above about diets being "bad" and "intuitive eating", if I ate "intuitively" I'd still be morbidly obese! You have to have a diet, but diet with the defintition of "the kinds of food that a person habitually eats", and not "a special course of food to which a person restricts themselves". You have to change your habits for life.

For me, I'm intermittent fasting (http://www.thefastdiet.co.uk). It works great for me and has changed the way I look at food as a completely unexpected side effect. I expect to keep this up for the rest of my life - I find it a way to eat that suits me and is healthy according to all current research.

Exercise-wise, I was also extremely self-conscious and started off indoors with a wii-fit. Basically, I started marching on the spot and "stepping" on and off the balance board while watching TV. I was doing it for 1 TV program (so 30 minutes) at a time to start with and was wiped out. Doing this regularly, it didn't take long before it was easy and I made the "step" higher, then started jogging for a few minutes at a time. It was probably about a year before I was comfortable doing exercise where other people could see me :rotfl:You could do something similar without a wii or balance board, just march on the spot or step on and off a step for half an hour (you can get a cheap aerobic step for about £10, or improvise).

One you start losing weight and doing more exercise you'll be amazed at how much better you feel in so many ways and you'll wonder why it took you so long to get started!
    Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?
    ― Sir Terry Pratchett, 1948-2015
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    This was me. On New Year's Day I joined Slimming World and on 27th January had my first Personal Training session. I have High Blood Pressure and had problems with both knees when standing up or sitting down, plus i'm Bipolar with Borderline Personality Disorder (a 'symptom' is binge eating).

When I started, I was 21st and couldn't do a single on the toes press up. I found lifting the 10kg barbell over my head really hard. Six months on i'm 5st 10Ibs lighter, my knees have totally cleared up and i'm deadlifting 60kg and over head can press 30kg (not forgetting 8 on the toes press ups)

You can do this, I promise you! I only started swimming again a month ago due to being self conscious but nobody takes any notice; now I swim for an hour twice a week and use the gym with my PT 3x a week. When at my biggest, nobody paid any attention in the gym either (mine's a smaller, non chain one)

Slimming World is the best group i've found, we have men and women and even if just one guy everyone's welcoming and will chat. You can eat unlimited amounts of healthier foods and amazingly you do stop as these foods aren't typical bingey foods.

Anyway, well done for looking into what you can do. It is hard but i've not regretted a second and every other way I tried i'd never got past 3.5st or 6 months x
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I think a bike could help. If your knees make it painful to walk cycling may be easier. Even if it's only up-and-down the road a few times to start off with. I've put panniers on the back of my bike so if you only want a few things from the shop, cycle there.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • teffers
    teffers Posts: 698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    armyknife wrote: »
    Take up walking and gradually increase the briskness and distance of the walks; it's free and if done often enough, say 3 or more times a week, will form a good foundation for later, more strenuous fitness activities.

This 100%.

Weight-loss excercise is about mixed intensity exercise.

So start with walking, increase the pace periodically, as you start to feel out of breath slow down back to more a manageable pace. Do this for 30 minutes every day - listen to your body and don't over-exert yourself.

It's not about high intensity stuff, it's about mixing anaerobic with aerobic exercise for maximum weight-loss.

As your fitness increases, increase the periods of higher intensity activity (walking fast and eventually little bursts of running / jogging). It's about making your cardio work harder for those few minutes - then switching straight back to the 'rest' pace but still keeping moving.

It's a method that lends itself very effectively to weight loss for very heavy people and it scales brilliantly with increased fitness.

Using this method means you listen to your body, you slow down when need to and you work harder when you recover, then repeat the cycle.

If your knees hurt too much, do exactly the same thing with an exercise bike - medium intensity followed by bursts of higher intensity.

Good luck :money:
  • StumpyPumpy
    StumpyPumpy Posts: 1,458 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Just want to add my 2 cents to your concerns about going to the gym. I know that a lot of people are intimidated by the idea of going to a gym, but there is no reason to be.

I go to the gym twice a week and have done for many years and, as others have said, there are all sorts of people there with every body shape you can imagine. Any gym you go to would have people larger than you there. I know mine has.

But here is the most important thing. Nobody cares about what the other people look like. Even if you look around and notice someone hugely overweight, you don't think "My God they're fat!" you think "Good on them, they're trying to do something." I'm not saying this as some motivational BS: In the street I may well think the former, in the gym I only ever think the later.

One of the joys of rows of treadmills, bikes etc. is that you have no idea what speed/program or exercise regime the others are using so you literally cannot race against them (or feel like you are being left behind) I am a lousy runner but a pretty good rower. I doubt anyone in my gym knows this apart from me. Even if you did see me panting away on the treadmill, you wouldn't know whether I was at the start of my session or at the very end, having already done 20k on the bike, 2k on the rowing machine and 5k on the cross trainer.

The other thing the gym will provide is assistance in getting started and an initial exercise program. The gyms I have been to have all provided it for free - indeed, at my current gym I know it is a requirement for their insurance so that probably holds out for the others too.

Going to a gym will have marginal impact on weight unless tied to a proper, calorie controlled diet, but the benefits of being fitter, even if you are still fat, are immense.

Finally, most gyms will give out day passes for free - sometimes you need to be cheeky and ask for them, other gyms like Pure or your local authority sports centre allow you to pay on an ad hoc basis. If you do decide to join on a more formal membership, try before you buy.

Too many people buy a membership that locks them in for 12 months and then never bother going again. In my gym we call them "turkeys" because they turn up after New Year for a couple of sessions and are never seen again. There are always more people in my gym in January than any other month. Great for us regulars who see the gym's income boost but an expensive mistake for the turkeys.

SP
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Too many people buy a membership that locks them in for 12 months and then never bother going again. In my gym we call them "turkeys" because they turn up after New Year for a couple of sessions and are never seen again. There are always more people in my gym in January than any other month. Great for us regulars who see the gym's income boost but an expensive mistake for the turkeys.

SP

I'm going to go against the grain here, I don't think joining a gym is going to help unless you are committed in the first place - what I mean is, a good proportion of people join the gym only go twice and get stuck in a 12 month contract but your problems rely on food, drinking and not getting enough exercise, my solution is to just take up walking, and perhaps move into running as the weight starts to drop off - which it will, if you control your eating.

Signing up for a 12 month gym membership is not going to make your problems go away, you need to have the right mindset to cut back on the food intake and start getting out and about more ~ also you mention feeling self concious, perhaps after getting your energy levels up you would feel better about yourself, as you wouldn't be struggling on a treadmill (no matter what weight you would be at this point, taking the time to go out walking and building yourself up gradually then knowing you can commit to a gym makes more sense)

It's only my two cents, and I hope I don't offend as I don't want to come across as give up before you start ~ I just think people who want to lose weight naturally get pushed to go to a gym when their is no need for it, if that's what you want to do in long run as a hobby why not? But just don't think that because you want to lose weight it's the first point of call.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • ShAnE
    ShAnE Posts: 275 Forumite
    First Post
    Definitely sign up for a gym with a pool, if that is something you enjoy. To echo what Kayalana99 said above, being successful isn't about the first couple of weeks where you are highly motivated. It's about developing a habit, which is more likely to happen if you do something you enjoy.

Everyone there is self conscious about their own body, and wants to improve so most won't probably notice you are there.

Ask around and I dare say that not many people will be able tell a story of a time they went to the gym and remember laughing at an fat person, sure they may have glanced over and seen someone trying to better themselves, but then they would have gone right back to only caring about what they are doing not what anyone else is doing.
    Current Debt: 0%.
    Current House Deposit: 7%.
  • StuC75
    StuC75 Posts: 2,065 Forumite
    Hey OP been there done that, same sport background too. Even had knee problems myself with acl/mcl after a bad tackle on Astroturf.

Couple of years ago I was 22 7 half stone (6ft 1) but didn't think I looked it so much.

Never been a fan of the dieting approach, so prefer the burn more calories than consume - and if im exercising I cant be snacking..

Had some success with running - signed up previously for 10k runs and that helped to motivate..

Think of what you can give yourself as a target to achieve and push on, its a good motivator for those with sports backgrounds - it worked for me...

This year I switched to cycling and use iphone with strava and heart rate monitor to push myself more - it fits in well with my working day and do 40-50km per day. Creating a clear calorie deficit in what I expend each day

I now weight 17 and half stone, and lost 6" off my waist; so within that have probably lost more body fat and put on muscle within that in terms of how clothes fit..

Its really a case of echoing kayalana99 that its about finding something that becomes a habit for you.. swimming can be enjoyable, but will it have the intensity that you need?
  • asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    It is never too late to start - I dropped 3 dress sizes (from 14 to 8) 4 years ago nearly and I think it was one of the best thing I ever done for myself. Now I'm size 10 as I cannot exercise that much anymore and eating more but still feeling good and I actually do enjoy having an active an healthy life style.

When I first joined a gym, I was, like you, worried but people are too busy to pay attention and if anything they would applaud you.

I have RunKeeper, an app, for my phone where I frequently set myself challenges (like walking 20 km in a month) and track them. It might be something to help you as well!
    ally.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport