PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Knitters Thread

Comments

• 2childmum
    2childmum Posts: 240 Forumite
    I've got Olive the owl - it's not in the actual magazine but on a separate leaflet. If you let me have your email I'll get it to you. I've just finished it - it's very cute!
    May spend - £291.40/£320.00
    June spend - £106.40/£320.00
  • lynseydee
    lynseydee Posts: 1,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Have you tried looking on the let's knit website?
    Did owe £9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off :j

Owe Virgin [STRIKE]£5,950.00 [/STRIKE]at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC [STRIKE]£5,460.78 [/STRIKE]2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
  • picju96
    picju96 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Hi, Yes I have, and found Olive the Owl. Just need George bear (which would be lovely as I have a baby George!) and the scandi knits. Going to contact the magazine next.
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hi all :j

Not sure if this thread is still active at all, but thought I would ask anyway....does anyone have an easy (ish) shawl/stole/wrap/shrug pattern they can recommend please? I can knit & crochet a bit so either method will be fine......I was planning on making a couple of these for gifts so need to get a move on...and going away next Thurs with no TV or internet, so an ideal opportunity to get stuck in :eek:

I know I can look at Ravelry etc but if someone has a pattern they can recommend, that would be great!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • iQueen
    iQueen Posts: 810 Forumite
    sashanut wrote: »

Not sure if this thread is still active at all, but thought I would ask anyway....does anyone have an easy (ish) shawl/stole/wrap/shrug pattern they can recommend please? I can knit & crochet a bit so either method will be fine......I was planning on making a couple of these for gifts so need to get a move on...and going away next Thurs with no TV or internet, so an ideal opportunity to get stuck in :eek:

I know I can look at Ravelry etc but if someone has a pattern they can recommend, that would be great!

This thread seems to have become very quiet, for a rather long time! :( Difficult to believe that all these knitters are too busy crafting for Chr!stm@s! :o

There are loads of FREE knitting and crochet patterns on Ravelry. It's my first 'port of call' for a pattern. If you haven't discovered the website, I would urge to go there. Free to register, great forums for everything 'yarn', very helpful experts, it's global, and there are hundreds of local RL groups, etc. It is probably the biggest website for knitters. :j

You know best, what type of patterns you are looking for, so have a browse - the search engine is very sophisticated and you can search using lots of filters or just something simple like: free shawl. You'll get hundreds of results, with photographs. Have a play on there! :rotfl:

If you want fewer results, just add 'crochet' or 'knitting' or 'triangle' or DK... whatever.

I'm sure you will find what you want, from the easiest to the most complex!

Be prepared to spend hours of wonderment! You can also add patterns that you like, to your own 'queue' or your 'library', for future reference. :rotfl:

HTH

Needs, NOT wants!
    No food waste since November 2010. :j
    No debts.
  • If you want to make a triangular shawl, I would recommend the 'Age of Brass and Steam Kerchief' , it is a free pattern on Ravelry (I cannot post links because I am a new poster)

If you don't want to do the rows of eyelets you can leave them out, or you can make stripes and have a totally different look. So you could use the same pattern to make several shawls that all look a bit different, to keep it interesting :)
  • sashanut

Many thanks for the replies from iQueen & Wolfspirit - I have taken them both on board & have found something on Ravelry & also like the 'Age of brass & steam'...so could do a combo of a few different ones depending on time I have etc...I usually do wristwarmers, socks etc but would like to try something different this time. I suppose I could do a cowl but did one last year but it was so awful I didn't give it....

So if this thread needs a little boost, how about sharing your current makes....or things you need to fish out of that bag you stashed it in???

I will kick off with a cardi I made for myself, I used to go to a weekly craft group in the library & did most of it there. Then RL got in the way so I stopped going, & so most work on the said cardi stopped.....it was mostly completed, but for the making up, finishing off & knitting the button band :o

I have fished it out, have made it up & am re-doing the button band, as it had come undone whilst it was stuffed in the bag :mad:

Then *all* I have to do is sew in a gazillion ends - did I mention it was allover kind of fairisle & striped???

Look forward to hearing about all your makes!!

PS Very excited as am going to Yarndale this year for the first time....is anyone else going??
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • I am making a poncho at the moment, it is very easy because it is just two rectangles that have to be sewn together.
    And I should really re-start on a jacket that is half done, it has a cable band at the bottom and the button band and I am not sure how I will do it at the neck because I wanted to make a hood...which is why I stopped working on it.
    But I really now want to make a few smaller projects, Christmas ornaments or a knitted pumpkin for Autumn or an Autumn wreath. I think I will do those at the same time because the big projects get so boring.
    Your fairisle cardi sounds great. Good luck with the buttonband and sewing in the ends. Why is it that starting a project is such fun and finishing it seems to take forever :D
  • sashanut
    Agree with that sentiment Wolfspirit - the making up of this thing will probably take longer than the actual knitting tbh....have now finished the band but need to sew in all those ends...and do the mysterious blocking....usually at this point I put on the item & it doesn't fit, but I think this one will.

Interesting that you are making a poncho, I remember making one for my Mum (in crochet) years ago, she loved it & wore it all the time. I too would like to make some smaller projects, but have at least 3 big items started, I do tend to make things that are really slow & complicated to do. Not sure how your jacket will turn out if you are adding a hood that's not in the pattern....I am hopeless at adapting or designing things myself.

Maybe someone with more experience will be along to help??

I need to decide what to take on hols, I just realised that I probably need crocheting as only taking a carryon & think knitting needles probably not allowed...
  • I dug up the jacket. Now I know what the problem was: the pattern does have a hood, but I made a tree (with cables) on the back of the jacket and I do not want the hood to cover the tree too much, so maybe I will have to make the hood smaller or the jacket longer (so there is space above the tree). I could not decide what was best, and I was also a bit fed up with the cables at the front that are like a braid. I normally like knitting cables but this one goes so slowly...
    Hope this all makes sense :)
    I think I will finish the jacket as far as possible and then decide about the hood. If I don't it will stay in the bag for the next couple of years probably :rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback