PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The "what can I do with this" or "kitchen cupboard bugbear" thread

Options

Comments

• Pop_Up_Pirate
    Options
    Bumblebear wrote: »
    Thanks for the pointers about linseeds, sadly I don't own a pestle and mortar or a coffee grinder. Smacking them with a rolling pin didn't make any difference :( Perhaps I just need to donate them to someone with either tool!

I don't like the ends of the loaf either, and stick them in the freezer until the less fussy MrBB comes along. Could use them for croutons perhaps?
    I grind mine in a Nutra Ninja, if you have one of those?
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Idea for using up end crusts that are accumulating in freezers:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=69111236&highlight=nut+loaf#post6 9111236
    Calls for 7oz brown breadcrumbs - but you could wuzz whatever bread/crusts you have taking up space and use them.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Bumblebear
    Bumblebear Posts: 105 Forumite
    Wedding Day Wonder Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I grind mine in a Nutra Ninja, if you have one of those?

Nope - our house, bought last year, has my first non-tiny kitchen so I've not got a plethora of gadgets really due to all the teeny-weeny kitchens I've had in the past.

I'd offer the linseeds to the birds, except that might get the cat over-excited...
    Debt free as of 28/03/2017 (just don't ask about the mortgage :rotfl:)
    Lover of sewing and biscuits, hater of traffic jams and credit cards
    3-6 Month Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £0/£5,670
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    For your cornmeal - I have made this several times. Always been well received. Served with some green salad and sour cream it's fairly filling (also freezes well)

http://www.southernliving.com/recipes/deb-wise-tamale-pie-mix-up-recipe

Great idea for a thread - I'm sure I will be back with some very random ingredients at some point!
    juliettet wrote: »
    Cornmeal is nice in cheese scones. replace half of the flour and 1tsp baking powder.
    Thank you both sound lovely :)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I grew up fearing bread crusts - but now I savour them and wait to use them for real comfort eating when I want a really BIG piece of bread to cut into for my beans on toast (with or without cheese, or poached egg).

Love cutting through a fat crust these days... so satisfying ...

The answer to bread is there is no way to use up bread. Yes there are lots of things you COULD do .... but the issue is that most of the solutions aren't on your food radar, so you'd never make/cook those dishes that use them :) Even if you like things, you won't ever make those things....

I bet a few of you are nodding ....

Crusts can make great pizza bases..... if you CBA and will ever actually get round to topping them off as pizzas... then keeping up with the constant supply of crusts...
  • Cloth_of_Gold
    Options
    You can carefully slice the end off the crust and then it just becomes another ordinary slice - well more or less. I do this sometimes if it's all that's left of a loaf.
  • Lindlou
    Lindlou Posts: 111 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Of course you can always use crusts to make old fashioned 'BREAD PUDDING' too! in that they are soaked in a little water to soften them and then mixed in with the other ingredients to make a delicious cake/pudding which is extremely economical. I have a wartime recipe that is very low fat and sugar with a little dried fruit in it that turns out amazingly well!

Can I have it please?:j
    Never, ever give up........
  • splishsplash
    splishsplash Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Bumblebear wrote: »
    Thanks for the pointers about linseeds, sadly I don't own a pestle and mortar or a coffee grinder. Smacking them with a rolling pin didn't make any difference :( Perhaps I just need to donate them to someone with either tool!

I don't like the ends of the loaf either, and stick them in the freezer until the less fussy MrBB comes along. Could use them for croutons perhaps?

Roasting the linseeds will break the shells so you don't need to grind them. Toast them well in a dry heavy frying pan over a medium heat, stirring them constantly for 10 - 15 minutes, until they feel oily.

Baba ganoush is a lovely way to use up tahini - slice an aubergine into half inch thick slices, grill until slightly charred, put the grilled slices into a bowl and cover with clingfilm for ten minutes. Then peel the flesh off the skin, and process with garlic, lemon juice and a couple of tablespoons of tahini until light and fluffy.

Makes a lovely dip for salads.

FWIW, you can make your own tahini by toasting sesame seeds exactly the same way as described above and blitzing with olive oil. Keeps in a cold fridge for ages.

I don't use bread any more, but when I did, I would either blitz the heels to make breadcrumbs, or slice the bread into cubes, drizzle with oil, pepper and onion granules and roast to make croutons. I always had bags of crumbs and croutons which were really handy. You can just take what you need as you need it and leave the rest.

You could make dhal/dahl/dal with the lentils - just google recipes, dead easy and a good vegetarian dinner option.
    I'm an adult and I can eat whatever I want whenever I want and I wish someone would take this power from me.
    -Mike Primavera
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 6 April 2017 at 9:04AM
    Options
    Hi LINDLOU hope you enjoy this if you decide to give it a go!

Wartime Bread Pudding

8 oz stale bread (crusts are are fine)
    2 oz suet/veg suet (grated) or margarine/butter melted
    1 oz brown sugar
    1 tablespoon orange marmalade
    2 oz dried fruit (I use mixed fruit but you can use any even prunes or apricots but they need to be chopped to sultana size)
    1 egg
    milk to mix
    1 teaspoon mixed spice/ground allspice
    cold water to soak the bread

Pull the bread into pieces and sprinkle it with enough cold water to damp if through then leave it for half an hour before squeezing out as much of the water as you can with your hands. Pop into a large mixing bowl and add in all the other ingredients except the milk then use your hands to squish it all to a sticky amalgamated mixture adding a little milk to loosen it if needed. Grease a baking/cake tin and pour in the mix and bake in a coolish oven 140 degC Fan/ 160 degC electric/Gas Mk 4 for up to an hour and a half, check it after an hour until it is set and beautifully brown on top. Sprinkle with sugar to finish it when it is cooled, cut into squares and enjoy!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    In a weak-willed moment I bought a dozen tins of Epicure Puy Lentils at quite a bargainous price. My intention was to transform them into something resembling Merchant Gourmet puy lentils in tomato and basil. I love these but won't pay the silly price asked for them. After two attempts I admitted defeat and 10 tins are still languishing in the cupboard. Any idea of anything exciting I can do with them, other than throwing them in soups or stews?

Make a feta, lentil and red pepper tart.

- Line a flan case with pastry.
    - Cook lentils if not using tinned ones
    - Add oil to a pan and cook some diced onions and red peppers (2-3)
    - Add spices, herbs and 2-3 tbls of tomato puree to the pan
    - Stir in the lentils (should be think and not runny)
    - Spread the mixture into the flan case, top with chunks of feta
    - Bake for 25-30 mins at 200

I make this with red lentils, but it should be OK with puy ones.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure