Future Cancellation of Insurance help please.

LadyDee
LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
I am about to renew my car insurance with Direct Line from 29th June (best quote).

I plan to move overseas very soon and this is very likely to be by the end of October, so I only need insurance for about 4 months.

I know I'll have to pay a fee for early cancellation (round about £50 I believe?).

Anybody know what sort of premiums I'd be looking at if I could find an ongoing month to month policy?

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    If you mean take out short term insurance for the 4 months to avoid cancelling a normal 12 month policy you will find it much more expensive.

Google temporary insurance and do dummy quotes to see!
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Quentin wrote: »
    If you mean take out short term insurance for the 4 months to avoid cancelling a normal 12 month policy you will find it much more expensive.

Google temporary insurance and do dummy quotes to see!

Thanks, I was afraid that would be the case, but I will look into it. I'll just have to accept the cancellation fee if it's going to cost so much more.
  • Call the AA, and pay monthly with them.

They self finance, and when you cancel there are no cancellation fees, and you may even get a little cash back, if you are part way through a month.

I did the same myself just last month.

Obviously this is only an option if the quote is competitive, and you HAVE to do monthly payment. But well worth looking into.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Call the AA, and pay monthly with them.

They self finance, and when you cancel there are no cancellation fees, and you may even get a little cash back, if you are part way through a month.

I did the same myself just last month.......
    Are you sure tis was an annual policy you cancelled, and not monthly temp cover? Temp cover is much more expensive than annual cover pro rata - though the disadvantage is that should you have a claim whilst on annual cover you have to pay for the full year.

They do charge cancellation fees when you cancel an annual policy irrespective if how you pay.

From their policy:

3. Cancellation outside 14 days

Beyond 14 days of receipt of Your policy documentation or the date You enter into the contract, (whichever is later) You may cancel this insurance at any time. Your Insurer will refund a percentage of the premium
    ....... AAIS will charge a cancellation fee* of £30 and also retain its arrangement fee* of £28.......

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure