Nationwide FlexDirect

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 April 2017 at 5:14PM
    teddysmum wrote: »
    The only problem is needing two DDs per account, so hope two Tesco internet savers, one in my name and one in my husband's, each taking £5 from each Lloyds Club account will be ok (problem may be that they are the same type of account with the same bank ie Tesco)
    That's going to be a problem for you both. You can't DD pull from an account that isn't yours. See the savings account T&Cs, and the many experiences posted on here backing this up. You'll need two savings accounts each, or 2 joint savings accounts between you.

EDIT: If you'd prefer a 'self-managing' system, consider setting the DDs up to total £8.15 (ish).
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I already have an internet saver, drawing £5/month from our main amount as a spare DD, so it will have to be one for my husband and two of the other type of saver. (Interest on the latter is poor,but the money doesn't have to stay put.)
  • teddysmum

EDIT: If you'd prefer a 'self-managing' system, consider setting the DDs up to total £8.15 (ish).
    Why do you suggest this ?

I don't use standing orders, except for the TSB regular saver (as required) preferring to do manual transfers, so I can adjust as necessary and it keeps my brain working.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Why do you suggest this ?

I don't use standing orders, except for the TSB regular saver (as required) preferring to do manual transfers, so I can adjust as necessary and it keeps my brain working.
    £8.15 (ish) is roughly the average interest paid per month on £5K at Lloyds now it's 2% AER. My set up is as follows:

Standing Orders
    £1,500 in from Santander 123
    £400 out to Club Lloyds Monthly Saver
    £250 out to Monthly Saver
    £850 back to Santander 123

DDs (interest extraction)
    £5
    £3

All set up to happen on the 3rd of the month.

My only 'admin' activity is to log into Lloyds once per month on the 3rd (or 4th) to check everything is in order. I don't mind a bit of work for 5%, but for 2% it needs to run itself!
  • teddysmum
    £8.15 (ish) is roughly the average interest paid per month on £5K at Lloyds now it's 2% AER. My set up is as follows:

Standing Orders
    £1,500 in from Santander 123
    £400 out to Club Lloyds Monthly Saver
    £250 out to Monthly Saver
    £850 back to Santander 123

DDs (interest extraction)
    £5
    £3

All set up to happen on the 3rd of the month.

My only 'admin' activity is to log into Lloyds once per month on the 3rd (or 4th) to check everything is in order. I don't mind a bit of work for 5%, but for 2% it needs to run itself!

Ah, you mean it covers the interest sweep.
  • teddysmum
    edited 19 April 2017 at 6:55PM
    Reference my post#9 on this thread :

First of all, can someone send me some hair restorer, as I may have pulled chunks of my hair out, thanks to Nationwide's (not)very clear policy ?

As someone started yet another Nationwide thread, with the usual doubts about policy, I looked on the Nationwide website when 'chat' popped up so decided to respond.

I told Emily about the confusion over whether you can keep the Flexdirects going at 1%, then downgrade and upgrade after 12 months, to get 5% again or need to close or downgrade, when 5% ends, to benefit. I especially mentioned what I was told my local branch's policy was (ie you can't do the former).

Guess what ?

She told me that you can do the former and that my branch were giving out incorrect information, asking for the name of the person giving the information, as they would need to be contacted.

I asked for Head Office's particular number, which she gave me and said they would be willing to confirm what she told me ( it appears that Emily is at Head office). 0800 302011.

However, something I assumed was incorrect ( ie the local branch person said that, if you downgrade, you need to still feed a Flexaccount with £750/ month to satisfy the regular saver ) is, in fact, correct.

Emily said that the T&Cs for the Flexclusive say that you can only benefit from its rates if you satisfy the conditions (in the case of a Flexaccount, the need for £750/Month), but I pointed out that what she said was not clear, because the page states the £750/month as a condition to open a Flexclusive and does not say it's necessary to maintain the saver account, so she is going to pass this on as feedback.

I'm going to call Head Office and may request something in writing which I can scan on here, so we are all clear.

Another point to check though, is that on one of the many Nationwide threads, someone said that if you have a Flexclusive and downgrade to a Flexdirect (for the saver), the former's £1000 pay in, does not replace the latter's qualifying need to have had £750 paid for the previous 3 months ; implying that you need to start up a Flexaccount 3 months ahead of when you intend to downgrade.
  • ceredigion
    ceredigion Posts: 3,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Reference my post#9 on this thread :

First of all, can someone send me some hair restorer, as I may have pulled chunks of my hair out, thanks to Nationwide's (not)very clear policy ?

As someone started yet another Nationwide thread, with the usual doubts about policy, I looked on the Nationwide website when 'chat' popped up so decided to respond.

I told Emily about the confusion over whether you can keep the Flexdirects going at 1%, then downgrade and upgrade after 12 months, to get 5% again or need to close or downgrade, when 5% ends, to benefit. I especially mentioned what I was told my local branch's policy was (ie you can't do the former).

Guess what ?

She told me that you can do the former and that my branch were giving out incorrect information, asking for the name of the person giving the information, as they would need to be contacted.

I asked for Head Office's particular number, which she gave me and said they would be willing to confirm what she told me ( it appears that Emily is at Head office). 0800 302011.

However, something I assumed was incorrect ( ie the local branch person said that, if you downgrade, you need to still feed a Flexaccount with £750/ month to satisfy the regular saver ) is, in fact, correct.

Emily said that the T&Cs for the Flexclusive say that you can only benefit from its rates if you satisfy the conditions (in the case of a Flexaccount, the need for £750/Month), but I pointed out that what she said was not clear, because the page states the £750/month as a condition to open a Flexclusive and does not say it's necessary to maintain the saver account, so she is going to pass this on as feedback.

I'm going to call Head Office and may request something in writing which I can scan on here, so we are all clear.

Another point to check though, is that on one of the many Nationwide threads, someone said that if you have a Flexclusive and downgrade to a Flexdirect (for the saver), the former's £1000 pay in, does not replace the latter's qualifying need to have had £750 paid for the previous 3 months ; implying that you need to start up a Flexaccount 3 months ahead of when you intend to downgrade.

Wouldn't it be easier to just follow the published T&C
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

Point 4 in the T&Cs states:

"If you no longer meet the eligibility criteria we may transfer the account to another instant access savings account and the terms and conditions of that account will apply and we will contact you when we do this."

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/~/media/MainSite/documents/products/savings/terms-and-conditions/P3026-flexclusive-regular-saver-terms-and-conditions.pdf

That's clearly rubbish. If you downgrade from FlexDirect to FlexAccount it's the same account, just under a different account type, so the £1,000 going in in the previous 3 months would obviously meet the conditions.
  • ceredigion
    ceredigion Posts: 3,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post

Another point to check though, is that on one of the many Nationwide threads, someone said that if you have a Flexclusive and downgrade to a Flexdirect (for the saver), the former's £1000 pay in, does not replace the latter's qualifying need to have had £750 paid for the previous 3 months ; implying that you need to start up a Flexaccount 3 months ahead of when you intend to downgrade. [/QUOTE]

There is another qualifying criteria
  • teddysmum
    ceredigion wrote: »

Another point to check though, is that on one of the many Nationwide threads, someone said that if you have a Flexclusive and downgrade to a Flexdirect (for the saver), the former's £1000 pay in, does not replace the latter's qualifying need to have had £750 paid for the previous 3 months ; implying that you need to start up a Flexaccount 3 months ahead of when you intend to downgrade. [/QUOTE]

There is another qualifying criteria
    Which is ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family