MSE News: Royal Mail to start leaving post with neighbours

Options

Comments

• redpola
    Options
    +1 for that it should be opt-in rather than opt-out (I have already opted out).

I trust both my neighbours, but that's no guarantee that I will continue to, nor that I want them to hold my mail.

This also opens the door to more "tap 'n run" deliveries, by removing the cost of a second delivery from the equation. Unmotivated postal staff can now just deliver three houses of post to one house and claim they knocked the other two but there was no answer. Of course all postal staff are perfect and this will never happen.

I also foresee problems regarding Sale of Goods Act and acceptance of a sale. If a parcel is delivered next door, the vendor will deem it accepted when I've not even seen it.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    redpola wrote: »
    +1 for that it should be opt-in rather than opt-out (I have already opted out).

I trust both my neighbours, but that's no guarantee that I will continue to, nor that I want them to hold my mail.

This also opens the door to more "tap 'n run" deliveries, by removing the cost of a second delivery from the equation. Unmotivated postal staff can now just deliver three houses of post to one house and claim they knocked the other two but there was no answer. Of course all postal staff are perfect and this will never happen.

I also foresee problems regarding Sale of Goods Act and acceptance of a sale. If a parcel is delivered next door, the vendor will deem it accepted when I've not even seen it.

what about the staff who asked where the time was to go around neighbours?
    I think you will find more posties are against the proposed system than for.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    Royal Mail have left post with me for 3 different neighbours this week alone! :eek:

They just shove it through the door. One was actually the same house number, but for a neighbouring street. I'm having to be particularly careful to check the addressee before opening as a result. :cool:
  • brightonman123
    Options
    all very well, if you have trustworthy neighbours..

i ca see this being abused with fake signatures, and claims of non dels..
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • custardy
    Options
    oh and for those who missed it
    theres been multiple threads on this subject before
  • Millybert
    Options
    Just opted out, i have only lived in my property for 1 month. i live on a street where a great % of houses have been turned into HMO and student lets,so people are regualy moving in and out. I wouldnt trust any of them with my post.. i can see this may be a good thing if you have a good relationship with your neighbours but if not it sounds like it could be trouble.
  • matty_art
    Options
    I live in a block of flats with letter boxes in our individual doors. Putting a sticker on my door will be obvious to the neighbour and is just like putting a "I don't trust you!" flag next to their door; a little confrontational!

So I won't be doing that...let's hope they are trustworthy.
  • custardy
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    It would be useful if the article wasn't so superficial and said what Ofcom's position was on cases when the neighbor that allegedly signed for the item later denies everything. Whose problem would it be: RM's or the recipient's?
    Royal Mail will retain liability for all undeliverable items until they are received by the addressee.

• I_luv_cats
    I_luv_cats Posts: 14,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    matty_art wrote: »
    I live in a block of flats with letter boxes in our individual doors. Putting a sticker on my door will be obvious to the neighbour and is just like putting a "I don't trust you!" flag next to their door; a little confrontational!

So I won't be doing that...let's hope they are trustworthy.

That's what I thought!

Should be opt in, BUT how RM would be able to keep track of who's in the scheme or not I don't know?

• Credit-Crunched
    Options
    This has had a trial in my area.

The postmen never bother knocking and always just leave a card as per usual. Every other courier company manages to find a neighbour to leave it with.

No wonder the Royal Mail is on its a**
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport