Money Moral Dilemma: Would you park free if it blocked wheelchair access?

Comments

• Chrisca50
    Chrisca50 Posts: 916
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    No, I certainly would not

Would I like this done to me if I was in that position???? No, so I wouldn't dream of doing it to anyone else
  • tallgirld
    tallgirld Posts: 484
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    NO WAY!!! It would be extremely selfish to do so.

Plus I wouldn't want to risk coming back to my car to find that my tyres have been deflated or my car keyed!!!!
  • Sheepster
    Sheepster Posts: 120
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    No. It would be a more than selfish thing to do, and frankly I think there is much too much selfishness with drivers as it is.

But...........in reply to all those flaming the poster who suggested the driver could reverse out, then get the wheelchair in, suggesting how could the wheelchair bound driver do this (Because they're wheelchair bound), then think just a moment. How would the wheelchair bound driver get in anyway?
    This sign is on the boot - unless it's some incredibly adapted vehicle, where the back opens right out, and a ramp comes down, and they wheel straight in and up to the wheel, then he/she has to get out of the wheelchair anyway - and probably has an able bodied driver with he/she.
  • BigSky_3
    BigSky_3 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Absolutely NOT! Only the most ignorant lazy !!!!!! would do that.

I’d park in a “family” parking bay though even if I was on my own. Why should people that decide to bring their screaming, fat, badly-behaved kids round the supermarket get special parking bays?
  • Certainly not!
  • Garetha
    Garetha Posts: 981 Forumite
    No way!
    "There but for the grace of God ..."

On a related issue: so many idiots see any parking space as theirs for the taking - whether it's a disabled space or parent & child.
    I'd like to see all these people clamped.
  • NO way

for all the same reasons that others said NO
    Morally unacceptable.
  • americanv8
    americanv8 Posts: 47 Forumite
    edited 12 August 2009 at 6:44AM
    Maybe but i'm basing that purely on the amount of disabled drivers who think its ok to park in parent & child bay because there's no disabled bays free. I can't park in a disabled bay with a baby and toddler when there's no parent & child bays available.
    I can only say i'm pleased that ASDA & Sainsburys are now fining people who abuse both sets of bays.
  • BigSky wrote: »
    Absolutely NOT! Only the most ignorant lazy !!!!!! would do that.

I’d park in a “family” parking bay though even if I was on my own. Why should people that decide to bring their screaming, fat, badly-behaved kids round the supermarket get special parking bays?

Sadly its done cos said fat, screaming kids pile the trolley high with sweets and crisps :-)

Kev
    Waddle you do eh?
  • Nothing in the original post states that you would be parking in a disabled space - therefore I presume no offence would be committed by parking close to a car with such a sticker. It would be very easy to reverse into such a space and not see the sticker anyway.

I'm not condoning being bad mannered and blocking the car's boot but there must also be some onus on the other driver to park somewhere sensible - they can't just use the sticker to "bully" other drivers into giving them 2 spaces while they only pay for 1. Generally, there are always disabled spaces nearby, or they may be able to park in an end space so as not to put anyone else out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure