Pet Insurance Cost Cutting System/MoneySavingExpert.com Discussion

Comments

• When you take out pet insurance you enter into a 12 month agreement and you can't cancel. I simply waited with mine until it was up for renewal and gradually changed all 4 cats over.
  • :j
    Red_Elle wrote:
    When you take out pet insurance you enter into a 12 month agreement and you can't cancel. I simply waited with mine until it was up for renewal and gradually changed all 4 cats over.

called pet plan and they have let me cancel, I've only been with them for 4 months, they say as I have not made a claim, I'm free to cancel.
    The views expressed on this website, be they in text, pictures or sound, are my own personal views. Not those of my employer, its staff or colleagues.
  • dogpoo
    dogpoo Posts: 6 Forumite
    Has anyone any experience of companies providing pony insurance? and who would you recommend or avoid.
  • Avoid E & L (entertainment & leisure) I used them years ago and had loads of hassle, friends of mine didn't read the small print and when the stable yard was burgled couldn't claim for lost tack due to a clause.

Try NFU (national farmers union) I've heard they are good and do pay up quickly.

Another one I've used is South Essex Insurance Brokers, have my old pony insured with them for years without any hassle (good for household insurance too if you have a policy aready with them).

Make sure you have adequate insurance for third party liability and vets fees. I believe you can get third party liability insurance by joining the BHS (British Horse Society) but have never tried.

All policies need to be carefully looked at to check they actualy cover you for the things you want to do. Beware that any condition the pony has had treatment for may be excluded from the policy.

Petplan are ok but a bit pricey for my liking.

Hope some others answer this as I could do with new quotes for my other 3 horses. Stupidly I cancelled their insurance (due to cashflow problems) and haven't got round to setting anything up again.

Hope this helps and please let me know how you get on.
    Trying to save money to move to France.....eventually!

£2 savers club = £24 saved so far :T
  • folly
    folly Posts: 51 Forumite
    I use the NFU they're really good easy to contact and pay out quickly, they also have competitive premiums and free legal advice.

Like Money Bunny I would avoid E & L , their premiums are cheap but they are difficult to claim from , they also are very quick to put on exclusions once you make a claim.
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    I have PetPlan as they have a very good reputation, even vets recommend them as they pay up quickly. One of our horses had to have several thousand pounds worth of treatment and PetPlan paid up without a hitch.

Another vote for avoiding E&L..... terrible reputation.

If your pony is over 16yrs old then you may not be able to get cover for vets fees, if you just want 3rd party then The BHS Gold membership is around £50 a year and inclused 3rd party liability.
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• pigeonpie
    pigeonpie Posts: 1,216 Forumite
    My pet has a pre-existing chronic viral eye condition. He's 14. E&L will cover him but exclude all veterinary treatment to his eyes, even from unrelated illness or accident, for life. This despite my taking out one of their more comprehensive plans including the ongoing treatment option. There's also a lot of small print. Basically this insurance is only going to be any good if he gets cancer or diabetes or needs chemo/radio/op etc plus the excess is a fixed, high pounds amount plus 35% of the rest of the cost of the treatment.

I'm going to ask M&S but assume they prob are the same (?). You can't put 15 quid aside on an elderly pet who may need 4gs of cancer treatment. A friend just got reimbursed several thousand for her 4 year old cat's ops and chemo (by PetPlan, who are ok with younger pets with one off incidents she says). You could however take your sick pet to France where vets bills are much lower than here -bit drastic I know. Just to give an idea - a renal function blood test costs up to 60 pounds in the London area. I paid 13 euros in France. Consultations are pound = euro or less. (sorry, the pound and euro symbols don't work on this PC any more). Interesting point: hardly anyone bothers with pet insurance in pet-mad France and vets' bills are way lower. Coincidence?
  • Red_Elle wrote:
    I know that Petplan do not take on animals over 8, but quite a few others do. They don't cover existing conditions, but they will take them on. So it is worth bearing in mind if you are really not happy with a current provider.
    Petplan turned my 9 year old dog (RIP) years ago and so I haven't gone back to them for any subsequent pets.

We are with petplan for our 8 year old, (8 in Jan) they were of only a hand full that would take him on last summer. yes we pay £17.45? a month, but they have paid up for everything no prob, last summer he had a growth removed from his neck, during that visit the vet detected some dental probs and they even paid for that treatment that isnt normally included, then back in november we had another claim, again, no probs ! They have covered over £500 in vets bills since August, am wondering whether they will want to re-new come June ? ? ? ? but am very happy with them.
  • dogpoo
    dogpoo Posts: 6 Forumite
    Thanks for your advice - much appreciated. I checked out most of the companies on offer and eventually went with Pet Plan as suggested. NFU was the only other reliable, and recommended option but more expensive for less cover. I pondered for a while over cover for total 100% loss of use. I was told by many of the other less well known insurers this was not needed if the pony was only worth 1500. Petplan suggested we take out 60% loss (at a much reduced premium) if we wanted this cover included in the policy. It appears no company ever pays out 100% loss as the animal would have to be put down if it was so severy disabled and the death policy would cover this. If the pony was simply unable to take a rider it would still have some residuale value, so you would get a guaranteed 60% of the total insured 1500 regardless and still get to keep the pony. Many Thanks.
  • snake666
    snake666 Posts: 361 Forumite
    its for my cat of 8 years old its £72 from tescos but thats by DD which im unable to do
    thanks
    snake
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family