Bees/Wasps how to get rid! (merged threads)

Comments

• allan673
    allan673 Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    where is the wasps nest exactly? is it visible or is the entrance in a small hole?

dont stick a hose into a cavity in the brickwork.
  • In the past, I found a wasp nest in the space around where a window was being put in. Spent an hour sitting at the entrance with a can of fly/wasp killer spray (the stuff you spray in a room and then leave for a while). What I did was spray plenty around the entrance (it leaves a sticky residue) then waited. The incoming wasps (I did this in the evening, as they returned to the nest) then dragged some of the spray into the nest, which affected the others. Over the period of about an hour, most of the small wasps heading in dragged some in, and the other wasps started to evacuate/die off. I carried on until the last REALLY BIG wasps also came out. Any that did come out got sprayed as well, just to be sure.

Good luck.
    Fight Crime : Shoot Back.

It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without being seduced by it.

Support your local First Response Group, you might need us one day.
  • I was quite lucky. I noticed a wasps nest in my garage. As the garage backs onto a large field, I get a lot of spiders in the garage. The spiders don't bother me and they seem to keep the other bugs under control. When I was in the garage one day I noticed 2 wasps entering to get to their nest. They encountered some webs and made a hasty exit to try to find another way in.

They found another way in and were happy. The next day, I was in the garage again tidying up and I noticed that some spiders had taken up station at the wasps' new entrance. Needless to say, after a few more days the wasps were nowhere to be seen.:rotfl:

However, if you are scared of spiders........
  • facingthefuture
    facingthefuture Posts: 939 Forumite
    edited 26 September 2009 at 12:36AM
    Thanks for all the replies - they are appreciated. OK so here is what happened. The nest is gone. I am on steroids!!!!!

I started my insanity by purchasing ant powder and putting it at the entrance. Yes the wind blew it back in my face and 2 days later my lung lining is inflamed.I now have a chest infection - dunno if it's related to the mouthful of organophosphate but hey I have called myself more names than you can imagine.

BUT no the wasps were still there so I decided to boil them to death - I didn't care if I got stung - no more chemicals. My partner fell out with me because I had decided to become some sort of suicide wasp destroyer. He thought it was wreckless and stupid.

So I boiled water in the kettle and stove top, filled 6 large basins of water and slowly poured the water down the hole, dunno why I wasn't stung....
    wasps definitely gone know, still on steroids...beesterds anyway:eek:

PS. The doctor said he has been on such mental missions himself but urged me to wear a mask "at least" next time.

PPs the hole is in a raised embankment near our back door, it goes sideways just in the entrance
  • dander
    dander Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I know the feeling. I once had a wasps next in a ventilation duct in my second floor flat - only accessible from the inside, and even then only accessible through a plastic grill that was too small to let wasps through, but as the nest got bigger the grill was starting to push off the wall. I tried everything I could think of to get rid of them but because the entrance to the nest was round the other side and inaccessible nothing worked. And I really didn't want some kind of pest man to be carrying nests full of wasps through the flat. Eventually I thought I'd try smoking them out, by lighting joss-sticks and poking them through the nest - no prizes for guessing that what actually happened was I set fire to the whole thing!:eek:

Didn't half get rid of the wasps though! :rotfl:
  • ooh I bet you are still that bit victorious dander
  • cb101
    cb101 Posts: 89 Forumite
    Hi

I'm wanting to put some insulation in an area of my loft but have just spotted an enormous wasp nest that has fallen down from the roof - it's approx 2-3 ft across. Am I right in thinking that this should no longer be active and at this time of year possibly only the queen might still be around hibernating so I could just get rid of it?
    Thanks
    c
  • Auntie-Dolly
    Auntie-Dolly Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    Apparently, wasps never come back to an old nest - at least that is what the pest man told me last year. He told me to leave ours where it was as it works as an effective block against them coming back through the same hole.
  • saver_1_2
    saver_1_2 Posts: 285 Forumite
    True they never return to a nest Just leave it be or if you want to remove it.
  • loulou41
    loulou41 Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Just found some dead wasps in the loft and 1 alive which I killed. I cannot find a nest. I am a bit concerned of the wasps getting inside the house. Can anybody offer some advice, pl? Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure