Use Vegetable Oil If You Have A Diesel Car

Comments

• Tao81
    Tao81 Posts: 653 Forumite
    wish there was some answer to this, as yesterday I was forced to pay £1.05 per litre for diesel. Unleaded was £1.00 I've never seen such a huge gap in price between the two types of fuel?!!:eek: I'd love to do what the Volvo man was doing! I have a 1993 diesel car and have often wondered if I could do it relatively cheaply?:think: I can't imagine that 'Mr Volvo' paid £895 for a conversion kit?!!!:confused: :rotfl:
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle. :A
  • Just spoken to DH who is a scientist and he posted me this link to look at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOFbsaNeZps
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • C32AMG
    C32AMG Posts: 96 Forumite
    There is a lot of rubbish on this thread!

Basically, cooking oil (SVO) CAN be used in MOST diesels WITHOUT a kit.

However.

New diesels (common rail) operate under very very high pressure and are NOT suitable for SVO with or without a kit. If you try this, it'll work initially but you WILL have to replace components on the car which will be very, very expensive. Think £1000's .

Older diesels can (in the main) run on SVO provided that the fuel pump has been tested OK on SVO. Lots of Peugeots & Citroens have fuel pumps that run well with SVO, but some other cars don't fare so well.

In all cases, SVO has to be mixed with diesel at a ratio which is dependant on the time of year. SVO is a lot thicker than diesel and needs to be 'thinned' down - very few cars will run on 100% SVO and even these will work properly in the summer. During the colder months, the ratio for diesel:svo is higher, as SVO will 'wax' badly and needs more diesel to thin down. During very cold spells, any SVO at all is not really advisable.

The 'conversion' kit for SVO is basically a seperate tank and a pre-heater. It is not always needed and is pretty expensive.

Best case is to check with your mechanic or someone knowlegeable first, as all different cars will react to SVO differently, depending on a number of issues. Just because your friend runs SVO in his ageing Peugeot 405 1.9D doesn't mean you can use it in your brand new £45k twin-turbo BMW 335D.
    Savings - £18,500 @ 5.22% Average

• kaya
    kaya Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    many cars will run on vegetable oil, but not for long, it will clog up your filters and pumps if you use it straight, it also has the effect of attacking the rubber seals in some engines-either buy a kit and convert the veggie oil to bio-diesel or check with the cars Manufacturer first, it can be a very expensive mistake to make
  • Doesn't the oil have to be mixed with methanol? Sure it wasn't just cooking oil? Can't see how that can do your engine any good at all, simply not designed for it. Diesel is much thinner than cooking oil too. Wont this have an affect on the fuel pump? It will have to work harder to pump thicker liquid etc?
    Plus the smallest etruk unit is £895+vat will take a while to earn that back i guess.
    Yes found out you do have to use methanol too so there is the price of that to take into consideration. Shame as we have thousands of gallons of methanol we 'dispose' of at work. Shame i cant get it shipped home!
    As to my fuel pump comment above, i can see how when mixed with methanol it would thin the liquid down.

If you take the time to look through the link above you will see that the 15p litre for treating waste oil includes the cost of methanol, caustic soda and the electricity required to produce bio diesel. You could save 90p per litre, that is a saving of £4.09 per gallon. That means you would have to use 257 gallons to get your money back on the purchase price. In other words just under 5 gallons per week. So it would not take that long, would it?
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
  • Doesn't the oil have to be mixed with methanol? Sure it wasn't just cooking oil? Can't see how that can do your engine any good at all, simply not designed for it. Diesel is much thinner than cooking oil too. Wont this have an affect on the fuel pump? It will have to work harder to pump thicker liquid etc?
    Plus the smallest etruk unit is £895+vat will take a while to earn that back i guess.
    Yes found out you do have to use methanol too so there is the price of that to take into consideration. Shame as we have thousands of gallons of methanol we 'dispose' of at work. Shame i cant get it shipped home!
    As to my fuel pump comment above, i can see how when mixed with methanol it would thin the liquid down.
    Herr Rudolf Diesel first demonstated his invention burning peanut oil, so in fact it WAS designed to burn Bio rather than Mineral fuel. True to say though that many modern engines will not run too well on anything above a 5% mix BMW for one. However older engines dont seem to have a problem, Perkins and PSA for example, I run my Perkins powered lump on 100% Bio in the summer, its quieter, and claims are that it lubricates the engine better. But I would never pour cooking oil in my tank, but only a fuel that has been through the process of titrilation and washing. Nice that HMRC have waived duty on production below 2500 litres though, may make my own instead of buying it at 80p duty paid
    [strike]Debt @ LBM 04/07 £14,804[/strike]01/08 [strike]£10,472[/strike]now debt free:j

Target: Stay debt free
  • Homework wrote: »
    We were in the Tesco cafe one day and watched a man take a trolley of value cooking oil out into the car park. Wondering if he had a hot food shop or just liked chips we watched as he starting pouring it into his Volvo.

We sat in amazement as he finished and then put the bottles in the recycle container, and then drove off.

We said to the security guard as we left and he said there was a couple of different people doing it.

I always thought cooking oil was a joke.

If you have a old diesel then you do not have a problem. I do the same thing with my lucida(people carrier ) But in the winter add £10 diesel to keep the oil running.
    ONLY COPY WHAT I AM DOING IF YOU ARE 100% SURE AND YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THE END RESULT MAY BE. ALWAYS CONSULT A PROFESSIONAL BEFORE FOLLOWING MY ADVICE. I AM NOT LEGALLY TRAINED . IF WHAT I AM DOING HELPS YOU IN ANY WAY CLICK THE THANKS BUTTON
  • Homework
    Homework Posts: 349 Forumite
    It was a big old style Volvo. It must save him a fortune however he is doing it.
  • I don't think it very responsible to tell people to go put vegetable oil in their tanks. If anyone is planning on trying this PLEASE speak to a reputable mechanic first!

Why isit not ? Its ok to tell people how to save £20 at tescos buy buying £1 worth of shopping but this is not very responsible ? Is it only me going gahgah ?
    ONLY COPY WHAT I AM DOING IF YOU ARE 100% SURE AND YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THE END RESULT MAY BE. ALWAYS CONSULT A PROFESSIONAL BEFORE FOLLOWING MY ADVICE. I AM NOT LEGALLY TRAINED . IF WHAT I AM DOING HELPS YOU IN ANY WAY CLICK THE THANKS BUTTON
  • djbd1973
    djbd1973 Posts: 508 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am certain I was behind a car running on vegetable oil about 6 months ago on my way home from work. After several miles of those fumes, I found myself parking outside my local chippie for a bag of chips before I got home.

Almost as good as the sales tricks of supermarkets with the waft of freshly baked bread and cooked chickens in their stores. Hmmm!
    Gordon Brown ate my hamster
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport