Won my ESA appeal, What happens with backdated money?

Comments

• Louuu
    Louuu Posts: 1 Newbie

Could anyone please help me?

When you are appealing your ESA decision, do you receive any money? or is ita case of you receive the moneys "owed" if you winyour appeal? And they are back dated to you?

A friend of mine is currently appealing but has no money to be able to feedthemselves, I am currently going round there with food daily, surely they haveto give you something whilst the appeal is going through?

Any help or advise would be muchly appreciated! :)
  • Hi i failed my medical in feb 12 with 12 points and i have been recieving the low rate assesment pay £71 a week now begining of july i was told i had won my appeal and will be getting £99 a week will i get backdated the £28 a week that i have lost each week while waiting for my appeal ?
  • love78
    love78 Posts: 23 Forumite
    they should be recieving appeal rate..its a 40 percent reduction ...they should defo be having some income...i had appeal rate for 20 wks ..i was backdated every penny ..tell her to ring them and ask why she isnt having any money
  • love78
    love78 Posts: 23 Forumite
    i just recieved my back money...i was told that i could recive all my money back because i was changing from incapcity benefit to esa...i think everyone has there back money has long has u win the appeal or tribunal
  • fadd
    fadd Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 13 August 2012 at 1:23AM
    Hi iwas taking off ESA Last november i was just at my appeal on the 8th aug and won i have been on the sick about 7 years now for mental health its been a long 10 Months will i get my money Backdated those 10 Months, i have seen on many sites about week 13 or 14 but i really dont get what they mean whats this week 13/14 all about all i want to know is will i get those 10 Months what im owed,
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,724
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 13 August 2012 at 1:56AM
    fadd wrote: »
    Hi iwas taking off ESA Last november i was just at my appeal on the 8th aug and won i have been on the sick about 7 years now for mental health its been a long 10 Months will i get my money Backdated those 10 Months, i have seen on many sites about week 13 or 14 but i really dont get what they mean whats this week 13/14 all about all i want to know is will i get those 10 Months what im owed,

Well done! If you've been on the sick for many years then this presumably means you're not a new ESA claimant.. or if you are that you are transferring from Incapacity Benefit (or similar). This means that the assessment phase of 13 weeks doesn't apply.... had it done so then your award would apply for financial purposes from beginning week 14 of the claim. (New claims have an 'assessment phase' of 13 weeks.. at around the end of that you get your first assessment). However as this isn't the case for you then you will be backdated any monies additionally owed to you had the DWP decision at the time they made it instead been as the tribunal determined it. You will therefore get 10 months backdated monies owed. However be prepared to wait some weeks perhaps for the DWP to act on the tribunal result which the tribunals service has probably already sent them... by the time they resolve things you might get 12 months worth of backdating. If you're getting assessment rate ESA at the moment by submitting sicknotes then continue to submit them until the DWP do process the result.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • fadd
    Thank you so much for your reply thats great news,yes they sent me a letter saying my sick note has ran out so im just waiting for my doctors to ring and say that its ready then i will post it in,:j
  • fadd
    hi i forgot to add that i went and photo copied my 2 papers from my Appeal and took the copys to my loacal Job Centre i went in and said that can i hand these in i was told bty the appeal that they sent the papers as well, so going back to the job centre he took the papers off me was looking at them and said he had no idea where they went! so then i said well somebody in here must know he said i will check on the computer he came back and said there was no notes on the computer about it so he then said i will take them off you and fax them he did ask if i wanted them back i said its ok i have copys he said ok i will staple them and they will go in a file or somewhere he said,so lets hope with me taking them in it gets sorted faster not gonna hold my breath mind but you never know.:p
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,724
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 13 August 2012 at 5:12PM
    fadd wrote: »
    hi i forgot to add that i went and photo copied my 2 papers from my Appeal and took the copys to my loacal Job Centre i went in and said that can i hand these in i was told bty the appeal that they sent the papers as well, so going back to the job centre he took the papers off me was looking at them and said he had no idea where they went! so then i said well somebody in here must know he said i will check on the computer he came back and said there was no notes on the computer about it so he then said i will take them off you and fax them he did ask if i wanted them back i said its ok i have copys he said ok i will staple them and they will go in a file or somewhere he said,so lets hope with me taking them in it gets sorted faster not gonna hold my breath mind but you never know.:p

Yeah... they probably won't have known what to do... the jobcentre I don't think has any responsibilities in relation to this. Your ESA is handled by your local Benefit Delivery Centre and the tribunals service will have swiftly sent original notification of the decision to them. I would stick to any communications regarding your ESA and the DWP to the address and tel number at top of DWP ESA letters sent to you. I think sometimes people have handed sicknotes to local jobcentre and often they've gone astray or been severely delayed in reaching appropriate place.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • Own_My_Own
    Own_My_Own Posts: 6,098
    Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    My son has his first medical tomorrow. I am getting a little worried as he has Aspergers and can seem rude when he gets flustered. I am going with him but do not know how much input I am allowed to give.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure