Royal Mail Parcel Delivery

I was expecting three parcels over the last few days.
Two were received at the door , one for me and one for my daughter.
No check was made as to who I was and I signed for both of them.
A third parcel arrived for my daughter, but nobody was home so the postman left a card.
I took that card to the sorting office to collect the parcel for my daughter and produced my driving licence to show that I had a bona fide connection with the delivery address.
The jobsworth behind the counter seemed delighted to refuse to release it as it did not have my name on it.
So Royal Mail's practice is to hand over a parcel at the delivery address to anybody who happens to be there without any questions but they will not let me sign for a parcel when I produce some documentary evidence at the sorting office.
Do they have no common sense ?
Really frustrating.
Forgotten but not gone.

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    tony6403 wrote: »
    I was expecting three parcels over the last few days.
    Two were received at the door , one for me and one for my daughter.
    No check was made as to who I was and I signed for both of them.
    A third parcel arrived for my daughter, but nobody was home so the postman left a card.
    I took that card to the sorting office to collect the parcel for my daughter and produced my driving licence to show that I had a bona fide connection with the delivery address.
    The jobsworth behind the counter seemed delighted to refuse to release it as it did not have my name on it.
    So Royal Mail's practice is to hand over a parcel at the delivery address to anybody who happens to be there without any questions but they will not let me sign for a parcel when I produce some documentary evidence at the sorting office.
    Do they have no common sense ?
    Really frustrating.

That's right,no ID at the address. since RM deliver to addresses.

ahh I feel a glow from this post. See that card you got?
    The one that explains you need ID? Coincidently they will be replacing these soon as the concept is too complicated for many.
    I have highlighted the part in red so you don't forget.

So your complaint is RM have followed their processes to the letter.
  • But the OP did produce ID, her driving licence- which would have shown her address being the same as the address on the parcel.
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    custardy wrote: »
    That's right,no ID at the address. since RM deliver to addresses.

ahh I feel a glow from this post. See that card you got?
    The one that explains you need ID? Coincidently they will be replacing these soon as the concept is too complicated for many.
    I have highlighted the part in red so you don't forget.

So your complaint is RM have followed their processes to the letter.

I imagine the complaint is that the RM process is ridiculous.

If they deliver to addresses and the person has id proving that they live at that address then not releasing the parcel to that person is ridiculous and the sort of ridiculous rule that annoys people.

Terrible customer service from RM. They should be consistent across delivery and collection.
  • wiogs
    wiogs Posts: 2,744 Forumite
    You could of course have documentary evidence that you live at a particular address yet be unconnected in any way with the intended recipient.
  • JReacher1
    wiogs wrote: »
    You could of course have documentary evidence that you live at a particular address yet be unconnected in any way with the intended recipient.

If RM were worried about this then they should ID the person who they deliver the parcel to at the address.
  • custardy
    But the OP did produce ID, her driving licence- which would have shown her address being the same as the address on the parcel.

Yes,which proved the item wasnt for them.....
  • custardy
    JReacher1 wrote: »
    If RM were worried about this then they should ID the person who they deliver the parcel to at the address.

All these posts and time. If only so much time was spent reading that little red card.
  • JReacher1
    All these posts and time. If only so much time was spent reading that little red card.

So much time? The OP has only posted once. With a rightfully annoying vent about RM.

On a side note Ive never been asked for id when collecting a parcel from RM. They're so incredibly incompetent as an organisation I am amazed the OP was asked. On the plus side when the private owners can start laying people off this may improve the quality of the workforce. There is a lot of deadwood that needs shifting!
  • custardy
    JReacher1 wrote: »
    So much time? The OP has only posted once. With a rightfully annoying vent about RM.

On a side note Ive never been asked for id when collecting a parcel from RM. They're so incredibly incompetent as an organisation I am amazed the OP was asked. On the plus side when the private owners can start laying people off this may improve the quality of the workforce. There is a lot of deadwood that needs shifting!

The OP is annoyed at staff Id'ing them.
    You seem annoyed they dont. What quality do you want then?
  • JReacher1
    The OP is annoyed at staff Id'ing them.
    You seem annoyed they dont. What quality do you want then?

I want consistency.

If they deliver to addresses not people then proof of address should be enough to claim a parcel.

I understand you work for RM so have to defend them. It's just a shame that they're not more customer friendly. I suspect this is why they are struggling to compete against firms with better customer service.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure