PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Blimey, it looks like Hurricane Irma has arrived here now, black as coal, hammering down and so windy a couple of large boughs broken on nearby tree

Lunch was new normal of ham salad sarnie

Dinner main ingredient is some meat loaf I made a month of so back and got fed up with looking at, so froze the remains. Now de frosting

It may be with salad but looking at the weather that could just become comforting chips & beans
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I realised I could do a quick easier lunch - and use up a lurking beef kebab portion ... so I had chips and that :)

Quicker/easier always wins.

The kebab needed to be eaten by tomorrow or frozen, so I saved it from that fate.
  • Well - just had sorta interim snack of the rest of that aubergine "bacon" and some of that T*sco "sorta-so-called" sourdough bread with nut butter on and a banana.

Thinking on re what dinner in a couple of hours will be....:cool:
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,199 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    That's dinner done. I fianlised on fried LO meatloaf, with beaten egg poured on, sort of omelette, chips & beans

The healthy bit was one of my apples & some cheese for pud
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 September 2017 at 8:22PM
    Good evening everyone,

Weather is changing rapidly here too and it's been blowing a hooley since lunch time so no gardening done today though I did get my front windows washed this morning, they were manky and the final straw was a large seagull splatter which managed to get all three of my bay windows:mad:. Between that and having to unblock my loo (thanks Dad !!!) this morning ended up very domestic.

Aubergine bake has not been made as I under-estimated how long it would take to me skin 2kg+ of tomatoes then make sauce. I think anyway the sauce will be better having had a "think" overnight:cool:.

I've managed to stain my hands a most unattractive orange peeling 1kg of shallots which are now happily brining. :eek: My hands don't smell to grand either..... Still I do love a home-pickled shallot so hopefully it's worth it. Loads of broad beans and brambles also processed and frozen so a reasonably productive day:D

Dinner I think may well be breaded fish, chips and peas/runner beans .;) ETA - decided it was a night for food in a bowl so it's ragu from the freezer, grated cheese and pitta bread to dip!
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Sounds like you've had a sh!!t day CARONC :eek::rotfl:
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    edited 11 September 2017 at 10:08PM
    My original plan was blown out of the window when I randomly spotted a couple of cheese/onion pasties reduced to 50p, I figured I'd give them a taste at 25p/meal. Welsh Pantry - not had those before. I like the occasional cheese/onion pasty, but they're nothing to write home about for the most part - but these appear passable.

Cooked one, froze one.

Also popped out as I ran out of buttery stuff for toast late last week, I've got some "for baking" spread which I've been using, but I'd prefer to just get a spreadable cheap tub of marg, so I went out for that and some fizzy pop :) .... also picked up a bar of turkish delight chocolate, a loaf of bread and some frozen chips :)

The chicken pie will therefore have to be tomorrow's plan.

I think Lidl have almost seen me off ... I've been priced out of Lidl :)

I couldn't believe my eyes! I had to go back and take a double check .... they actually had some funny little sachets with the box saying they were: Organic Chia Shots.

Now .. I've absolutely NO idea what that even is .... but the fact it had the word organic in the title ... and chia .... means they don't want the custom of "my sort", but are seeking the larger wallets of people who like their latest food and fads :)
  • I like the occasional cheese/onion pasty

fizzy pop :) .... also picked up a bar of turkish delight chocolate, a loaf of bread and some frozen chips :)

The chicken pie will therefore have to be tomorrow's plan.

I think Lidl have almost seen me off ... I've been priced out of Lidl :)
    I like a cheese and onion pasty every now and again as well. My sister in law always puts some out at Christmas/New Year as part of a sort of buffet tea.

Turkish delight is something that I only buy in the autumn/winter for some reason.

If you have been priced out of Lidl, I don't feel so bad that it's one supermarket that is just too far over the other side of the town for me to get to. I'm just pleased that Ican use Aldi now that I've got trolley to carry everything home in :).

At least you have a plan for dinner tomorrow which is more than I have at the minute. I'm going to have a rummage in the freezer shortly and get something out to defrost overnight to turn into dinner tomorrow :).
  • I haven`t got a clue and this makes it a dangerous day, so I am going to have to take a few minutes and forward plan my meals for today, I sense a CBA wrt food day so I am going to sit at a table and write my meals on a daily planner. Starting with veggies that I need to use before they go floppy, oh yes I know, I will juice them

I am liking my fresh runner beans cooked in the same pan as spelt pasta, so that has to be a basis, maybe some parmesan chucked in and some chopped baby tomatoes. Ok that sounds like a tasty meal in a bowl. I had peanut butter on toast for breakfast. One more meal to think about and probably will be a soup with a tub of hm stock out of the freezer and some lentils for protein and goodness. Usual mixed berries and half a yoghurt at some stage and a currant bun for a treat. A few things out of the freezer so am not telling myself off, these meals will keep my energy up as I have jobs to do, like poxy window cleaning. I did some last night, in the dark but it was easier because the sun was not making them go streaky and I could see what I was doing by lamplight. That is the downside of a light bright home with many windows
  • I put two huge jacket potatoes in the oven last night, they took about two hours to cook! My husband had his with grated cheese and I made a chickpea salad for mine. Chickpeas, sweetcorn, yellow pepper and cherry tomatoes with some lemon juice, salt and a spoonful of egg free mayo. Yummy! I then snacked on pistachio nuts, some squares of dark chocolate and a few glasses of white wine while watching TV.:D

I will probably make that chickpea salad again for lunch. Breakfast is to be crumpets and jam and a cup of tea. I'm not sure about dinner yet.
    Farway wrote: »
    Blimey, it looks like Hurricane Irma has arrived here now, black as coal, hammering down and so windy a couple of large boughs broken on nearby tree
    caronc wrote: »
    Weather is changing rapidly here too and it's been blowing a hooley since lunch time

It was really loud thunder and lightning here yesterday afternoon too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure