PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 May 2017 at 9:16AM
    I need to get through the stuff in the freezer... finally. I peeked last night and, although there's not a lot in there, it'll still take a lot of eating.

I had a little dig around last night and there are some "portioned up" pieces of sausagemeat I froze months ago. I should defrost those and make up something meatbally .... I think I've got 3 foil wraps of those....

I get torn mentally over food between "3 foil wraps? Why not defrost the lot and do something/anything with it just to get it used up" -and- "No ... what if you think of something AMAZING to make tomorrow that would just need a portion of sausagemeat".

I get petrified by the idea of "using it up/making a big dish of lots of things" and then remembering that I'd intended to use it up in a fabulously exciting and tasty way :)

So, I'll defrost one foil wrap of sausagemeat (about 4oz from memory)... and then ... er ... I'll cook that with some red onions ... er ... and some tomato juice (I save/freeze it when I use a tin of tomatoes and don't need the juice) .... right, that's meatballs isn't it.... in tomato and onion sauce ... and I'll lob it on top of basmati rice.

I'll go dig a portion out right now.

EDIT: Ah, must've done that in the past, there were only two portions in the freezer... so no just one of those to go.

EDIT 2: I might grate a couple of frozen carrots from the mixed veg bag into that too ... see how I feel closer to the time. Or chop them up tiny would be easier (knife is easier to rinse than a grater to wash)
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Just found my 3am dive in the freezer for a choc ice resulted in pack of 12 sausages being left out and now defrosted, froze the whole pack as needed for family barbecue next month. Sooooooo sausage bap for breakfast . bacon sausage egg mushroom and tomato for dinner and eight sausage rolls in freezer.
    Slimming World at target
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good afternoon everyone,
    Not much to report, both the weather and balance are still rubbish:(. Just had a nice lunch of smoked salmon & cream cheese on crackerbread with beetroot, cucumber and radish salad. :D Tonight I'm having peri-peri chicken thighs with a baked sweet potato, roasted flat mushroom and asaparagus:)
  • PasturesNew
    I didn't fancy what I'd defrosted/planned in the end .... and so tossed a bit of bread into the toaster and whipped up a single scrambled egg.
    Final last squeezed dribs from the brown sauce bottle.... must remember to get more this week.
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I didn't fancy what I'd defrosted/planned in the end .... and so tossed a bit of bread into the toaster and whipped up a single scrambled egg.
    Final last squeezed dribs from the brown sauce bottle.... must remember to get more this week.

When I was little I'd dread the end of a bottle of sauce as my nan used to add vinegar to thin the last bits down and it could get a bit sharp if you used too much without realising she'd been at it :D.
    kittie wrote: »
    that reminded me, I have a bunch of raw beetroots to cook today, in my pressure cooker. I love beetroot, cold or warm.

I love beetroot too - my favourite at the moment is beetroot and horseradish risotto with just a few green veg on the side.
    :hello:
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    meg72 wrote: »
    Just found my 3am dive in the freezer for a choc ice resulted in pack of 12 sausages being left out and now defrosted, froze the whole pack as needed for family barbecue next month. Sooooooo sausage bap for breakfast . bacon sausage egg mushroom and tomato for dinner and eight sausage rolls in freezer.

Remove the skins and make scotch eggs?

Use as meatballs in pasta sauce?
    :hello:
  • PasturesNew
    When I was little I'd dread the end of a bottle of sauce as my nan used to add vinegar to thin the last bits down and it could get a bit sharp if you used too much without realising she'd been at it

I do that if I'm desperate.... otherwise I just save it until next time I make a slow cooker dish and then I add a tiny bit of boiling water to it and give it a solid shaking to add to the gravy.

I'd say it makes NO difference to the taste, but helps me feel I didn't waste it :)
  • Lunch today thrown together - crudites and aioli, followed by a couple of slices of wholemeal toast with pear and jam spread and a glass of rice milk.

Done a new-to-me recipe that is lined-up for dinner tonight - with oats, blueberries, pumpkin seeds, grated apple, apple juice cooked in the oven. Have in mind to put some yogurt on top of it. Don't know if I'll still feel hungry for something else after that - probably will....

Thinks....maybe I'd better hardboil a couple of eggs for instance...
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,217 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 16 May 2017 at 3:29PM
    When I was little I'd dread the end of a bottle of sauce as my nan used to add vinegar to thin the last bits down and it could get a bit sharp if you used too much without realising she'd been at it :D.

Same here, old trick vinegar to rinse the last drops out

Salad dressing, take the point about oil but I use them for adding extra taste, depends on the dressing of course. There is a shop in posh Chichester, where all the rich folk & luvvies live, that is dedicated to selling just salad dressings, could only survive in Chichester or similar towns /cities of course. BUT the dressing are gorgeous, I splashed out on one once, nearly £3 for a 250ml bottle, but it was lovely. And they do free tasters so a mini tasting sesh can be a light lunch dipping bread in the samples ;) My normal plebby one is salad cream though :o

Dull again today, but saved me having to water at least. No breakfast but two bikkies mid morning with my cuppa

Lunch was last of the posh paste in tom & lettuce sandwich

Lidl was dead loss for YS, there were som but not what I eat, so anohter pack of fish cakes on offer, may freeze them but lots of date left

While on Lidl subject, for those of us with "wrong spuds" in cupboard, loose bakers are on offer from Thursday 18th, 49p Kg. I have used these before, with the loose ones of course you get to pick the ideal size & shape that suits your needs

Dinner not 100% sure, but will be a cod fishcake with probably frozen chips on same tray and perhaps open tin of beans, not had beans for a while and sort of suits the dull CBA weather. Or it may be instant mash but the one tray oven jobby is nearer my inclination at present as getting fed up with salad now, dressed or not

PS Money2, I had to look up aioli, sorry I think I will pass on that, garlic
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    Farway wrote: »
    ... loose bakers are on offer from Thursday 18th, 49p Kg.... pick the ideal size & shape that suits your needs..

Cheers, I'll try to remember that. When I've got no spuds I REALLY fancy a jacket spud :) I fancied one the other day. I rarely buy "bakers", I buy "cheapest potatoes" mostly - and use those as bakers. I did buy/try a bag of Bakers at 4ld1 a couple of months ago that were a very good price. It's easy to forget just how different/better proper spuds are -v- cheapest. I loved those I bought at 4ldi
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure