cyclist vs pedestrian - who has right of way

Options

Comments

• Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    GillM wrote: »
    I didn't know that either - only a couple of weeks ago I was cursed by a cyclist because I was on 'his' side of the path. It wasn't even deliberate on my part, it had been about 30 minutes since the last marker to say which side was which and I'd forgotten. Do you have the source for this, then I can bawl it after the next one to do it?

Highway Code rule 62, but expecting a cyclist to have read the Highway Code is probably a bit much as they generally seem to have problems with their vision (particularly colour blindness).
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Altarf wrote: »
    Highway Code rule 62, but expecting a cyclist to have read the Highway Code is probably a bit much as they generally seem to have problems with their vision (particularly colour blindness).

"Rule 62

Cycle Tracks. These are normally located away from the road, but may occasionally be found alongside footpaths or pavements. Cyclists and pedestrians may be segregated or they may share the same space (unsegregated). When using segregated tracks you MUST keep to the side intended for cyclists as the pedestrian side remains a pavement or footpath. Take care when passing pedestrians, especially children, older or disabled people, and allow them plenty of room. Always be prepared to slow down and stop if necessary. Take care near road junctions as you may have difficulty seeing other road users, who might not notice you.
    Law HA 1835 sect 72"

It doesn't say that pedestrians can use any bit they like, though, or is that in another part?
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    "Rule 62

Cycle Tracks. These are normally located away from the road, but may occasionally be found alongside footpaths or pavements. Cyclists and pedestrians may be segregated or they may share the same space (unsegregated). When using segregated tracks you MUST keep to the side intended for cyclists as the pedestrian side remains a pavement or footpath. Take care when passing pedestrians, especially children, older or disabled people, and allow them plenty of room. Always be prepared to slow down and stop if necessary. Take care near road junctions as you may have difficulty seeing other road users, who might not notice you.
    Law HA 1835 sect 72"

It doesn't say that pedestrians can use any bit they like, though, or is that in another part?

Its stated in the DfT's code of conduct but I dont know if its stated somewhere more official also (ie legislation)

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http:/www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/archive/2004/ltnwc/annexdcodeofconductnoticefor1688
    Always respect pedestrians even if they stray onto the cycling side (if there is one); they are entitled to do so. Always thank people who move out of your way.

Theres also this from the cycle tracks act:
    Conversion of footpaths into cycle tracks.

(1)A local highway authority may in the case of any footpath for which they are the highway authority by order made by them and either—
    (a)submitted to and confirmed by the Secretary of State, or
    (b)confirmed by them as an unopposed order,designate the footpath or any part of it as a cycle track, with the effect that, on such date as the order takes effect in accordance with the following provisions of this section, the footpath or part of the footpath to which the order relates shall become a highway which for the purposes of the 1980 Act is a highway maintainable at the public expense and over which the public have a right of way on pedal cycles (other than pedal cycles which are motor vehicles) and a right of way on foot.

Which to me states that there is still a right of way on foot for any path or part of a path that is designated as a cycle track.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Pyxis
    Options
    Always respect pedestrians even if they stray onto the cycling side (if there is one); they are entitled to do so. Always thank people who move out of your way.

Yes... that bit seems to imply that pedestrians can use any part of the path.

And the Highway Code does seem to be quite clear that cyclists should give way to pedestrians.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

• rtho782
    rtho782 Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I love how cyclists are so entitled. It's one thing to whine about how they are victimised by Cars, but they completely miss the irony and complain about being held up by pedestrians walking slowly in their way, and feel they should have right of way over pedestrians.

In Bristol, the cyclist lobby campaigned for 20 limits just about every where, then got uppity and upset when the police "had a word" with cyclists doing 30+mph on the Bristol to Bath cycle path where they are a danger to pedestrians.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-32392251
  • Pyxis
    Options
    rtho782 wrote: »
    I love how cyclists are so entitled. It's one thing to whine about how they are victimised by Cars, but they completely miss the irony and complain about being held up by pedestrians walking slowly in their way, and feel they should have right of way over pedestrians.

In Bristol, the cyclist lobby campaigned for 20 limits just about every where, then got uppity and upset when the police "had a word" with cyclists doing 30+mph on the Bristol to Bath cycle path where they are a danger to pedestrians.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-32392251

:rotfl: :rotfl:

However, there are some good cyclists, and some very good cyclists. We tend to only notice the bad ones, though, i.e. the ones that go through red lights and the ones who ride without lights at night, and the rude/inconsiderate ones.

When I see a cyclist who actually stops at a red light, and waits for it to turn green, I feel like hugging him/her, and ditto when I see one from miles away, at night, lit up like a Christmas tree! Yey! I say! A cyclist I have actually seen way before I am up their bum! Have a hug!
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    rtho782 wrote: »
    I love how [some] cyclists are so entitled. It's one thing to whine about how they are victimised by Cars, but they completely miss the irony and complain about being held up by pedestrians walking slowly in their way, and feel they should have right of way over pedestrians.
    How many of the slowly walking pedestrians sulk about having to slow for cyclists when they are driving?
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 16 May 2017 at 3:48PM
    Options
    Pyxis wrote: »
    :rotfl: :rotfl:
    When I see a cyclist who actually stops at a red light, and waits for it to turn green, I feel like hugging him/her, and ditto when I see one from miles away, at night, lit up like a Christmas tree! Yey! I say! A cyclist I have actually seen way before I am up their bum! Have a hug!
    As you said, "We [you] tend to only notice the bad ones."
  • Lumstorm
    Lumstorm Posts: 242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I cycle on a busy towpath and as a cyclist I am always polite to people and find most people are the same in return. Pedestrians should step aside and give way for the faster moving bike and the cyclist should ring their bell and slow down as they approach a pedestrian. I have only been nearly punched once by a gentleman but his daughter apologised he had dementia and wasn't really responsible for his actions.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Lumstorm wrote: »
    I have only been nearly punched once by a gentleman but his daughter apologised he had dementia and wasn't really responsible for his actions.

He didn't have a walking stick, did he?

I haven't got a bell but, if necessary, will simply call a cheery "coming through" in a voice commensurate with being heard. On our local country lanes this is particularly true for passing horses, so that you don't surprise the stupid beasts. As a rider I always appreciated it as you could also shorten your reins as a precaution.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure