Some lorries could be banned from London because of danger to cyclists.

Comments

• Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Instead of painting cycle paths at the side of the road, why not put them in the middle of each lane? Then the cars can see that cyclists are supposed to be there. Not for major A roads, but little city roads where no one is going fast anyway it could work. Maybe need to lower the speed limit so motorists don't get frustrated at being "stuck" behind cyclists?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If we had some police on the roads there could be a chance to get the dangerous and repeat offenders off the road. But when you can accumulate 40 points and still drive away from the court its a joke.9

On a dual 40mph carriageway the otherday when a car shot past approx 60 - 70mph. Slams their brakes on and cuts into the left hand lane between a couple of cars which caused chaos then as everyone had to brake sharply for the speeding idiot to turn left into the industrial estate.

Thats the sort who will kill someone, no matter what they drive.

Theres idiots who do that when on the motorway, still dont understand the logic in it.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    esuhl wrote: »
    Banning all motor vehicles would "solve the whole problem" too. :p

Lets just ban all forms of transport - no walking, no cycling, no driving - no more deaths!
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    boliston wrote: »
    Lets just ban all forms of transport - no walking, no cycling, no driving - no more deaths!

When you think about it the issue does seem to be cyclists.

Remove cyclists and they wont be there to be put at risk and pedestrians are not at risk from cyclists also.

WIN WIN???

Ban lorries and pedestrians can still get injured from cyclists. Figures all seem to be manipulated to make veichles or cylists to be the baddies depending on the site. I wonder what the true figures are?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• boliston
    When you think about it the issue does seem to be cyclists.

Remove cyclists and they wont be there to be put at risk and pedestrians are not at risk from cyclists also.

WIN WIN???

Ban lorries and pedestrians can still get injured from cyclists. Figures all seem to be manipulated to make veichles or cylists to be the baddies depending on the site. I wonder what the true figures are?

Removing cyclists would be almost as difficult as removing pedestrians as no licence is required to ride a bike.

It would be like trying to ban skateboarding or banning roller skates.
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Lets ban banning
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • Tilt
    Tilt Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    Removing cyclists would be almost as difficult as removing pedestrians as no licence is required to ride a bike.

It would be like trying to ban skateboarding or banning roller skates.

Hmm, interesting point. Where I live (by the sea-side), we get a lot of skate boarders who (er,) skate in the road. Some even do so at night! Can anyone enlighten me as to the legalities of this? Looking at the HC, there are no rules covering skateboards. Plus skateboards have no steering, brakes or lights so are they road legal?
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
  • Tilt
    An example of cyclists giving cyclists a bad rep... even with pedestrians. Point is that SOME cyclists maybe the ones who put themselves in conflict with HGVs as they appear to be unable to abide by a simple rule such as the one at Tower Bridge.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/police-making-killing-fining-cyclists-fail-dismount-closed-tower-bridge-288823
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
  • boliston
    Tilt wrote: »
    Hmm, interesting point. Where I live (by the sea-side), we get a lot of skate boarders who (er,) skate in the road. Some even do so at night! Can anyone enlighten me as to the legalities of this? Looking at the HC, there are no rules covering skateboards. Plus skateboards have no steering, brakes or lights so are they road legal?

Pedestrians can legally walk in the road without steering, brakes or lights - are they road legal?
  • Tilt
    Pedestrians can legally walk in the road without steering, brakes or lights - are they road legal?

True although they tend not to be travelling at around 20 mph! And where I live (by the sea-side), they tend not to walk in the road, especially the busy one along the sea front (where the skate borders sometimes skate).

Anyway, my question still stands.
    PLEASE NOTE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure