Real-life MMD: Time to sell gift for big bucks?

Money Moral Dilemma: Time to sell gift for big bucks?

A friend recently bought me an old clock from a car boot sale, which is now sitting on my mantelpiece. My brother, who knows about antiques saw it and said it’s worth hundreds of pounds. Should I sell it and split the money with the friend who bought it and risk offending her, sell it and keep the money so she doesn’t know or try and forget it’s worth anything and keep it (even though I could use the extra cash)?

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply

Note: Please remember that these are real-life Money Moral Dilemmas and while we want you to have your say, please remember to be nice when you respond.

If you have a real-life money MORAL dilemma, email [EMAIL="MMD@moneysavingexpert.com"]MMD@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL]

Previous MMDs: View All

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• lizzyshep
    lizzyshep Posts: 255 Forumite
    It was a present, so you have the right to do what you want with it. But if it was me, I'd feel pretty rotten if I sold it and didn't tell her! I'd find out how much it's worth, tell my friend, then sell it and split the proceeds.
    April Grocery Challenge: £80/£64.39
    March No Spend Days: 15/7
  • mgush5
    mgush5 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Say to your friend, that someone saw your clock and would like to buy it off you, which means you can get something you have been after for a while from the money made from the proceeds, and how would they feel about it (offering to take them out for dinner with the proceeds after your 'purchase')
  • Advice I've read says only keep things which are beautiful or useful, which might help your assessment of both the clock, and your friend.

Regarding your brother's comments, antiques often have a very high mark-up, so you need to know whether his 'hundreds of pounds' valuation is based on a 'buying' or 'selling' price.
  • mgush5 wrote: »
    Say to your friend, that someone saw your clock and would like to buy it off you, which means you can get something you have been after for a while from the money made from the proceeds, and how would they feel about it (offering to take them out for dinner with the proceeds after your 'purchase')

I agree about offering a dinner, or perhaps theatre tickets, paid for out of the proceeds, but please don't tell your friend any lies. Just say straight out, you've been told the clock they gave you might be very valuable, and ask how they'd feel if you looked into it with a view to selling. Then take it from there, all nicely out in the open and no risking a friendship for what might turn out to be a false alarm (sorry!) anyway.
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    lizzyshep wrote: »
    It was a present, so you have the right to do what you want with it. But if it was me, I'd feel pretty rotten if I sold it and didn't tell her! I'd find out how much it's worth, tell my friend, then sell it and split the proceeds.

This ^^^^^^^^^^
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    First, do some research on the clock online, so you have a clear idea of the value of the clock. Discuss the value of the clock with your friend. Then you would have a firm idea of their view of you selling the clock, If they are happy for you, then you can go ahead and sell the clock with a clear conscience
  • tallgirld
    tallgirld Posts: 484 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Yeahhhhh sell it! She bought it for you so do what you want with it.

Do some research on what it's worth, keep it on the mantelpiece for a while (just in case she pops round) then if it really is worth loads sell it (but don't tell her). If she comes around again and says "What happened to that clock I gave you?" Just say "Oh didn't I tell you I sold it?!!" (surprised look on your face) HA HA :-)
  • sas79
    sas79 Posts: 14 Forumite
    I wouldn't be happy if someone sold a present I'd brought for them, but I suppose it depends on how long you have had it? If its as recent gift def not!!
  • JuceLuce
    JuceLuce Posts: 6 Forumite
    If someone gives something to you as a gift then regardless of its worth I don't believe you should sell it - especially something as prominent as on your mantelpiece. Unfortunately you risk upsetting your friend by showing that you care more for money than her gift. I also think it is pointless to sell it and give her half as you still risk upsetting her and you end up with less money!

Unless it is worth thousands and you have been given this on good authority, then it maybe worth dropping that into conversation and see how she reacts, but if we are talking a hundred or so pounds then just be grateful that your friend was such a nice person to give you this gift and maybe in years to come, when she has forgotten all about it, you can sell it then (and if she does ask you can say it has broken!) :rotfl:
  • If you can find out the sale value of the clock, and it is worth selling, you could tell your friend that you feel guilty about accepting such a valuable present and would she like you to sell it and split the proceeds? Good Luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure