Lost Parcel

I sent a parcel via Hermes on 2nd Mar but the tracking stopped on 3rd Mar. Buyer has contacted me and I have asked Hermes who have confirmed the parcel is lost. I filled in the claim form and had an email saying they will investigate and get back to me in 2 weeks. Do I need to refund the buyer now or wait?

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Snowbelle wrote: »
    I sent a parcel via Hermes on 2nd Mar but the tracking stopped on 3rd Mar. Buyer has contacted me and I have asked Hermes who have confirmed the parcel is lost. I filled in the claim form and had an email saying they will investigate and get back to me in 2 weeks. Do I need to refund the buyer now or wait?

Ask the buyer to open a case for INR (item not received). When it's open, refund through the case.
  • Snowbelle
    Snowbelle Posts: 353 Forumite
    Ask the buyer to open a case for INR (item not received). When it's open, refund through the case.

Buyer has done that already - I wasnt sure if I need to refund now or upload the tracking information showing the parcel to be stuck somewhere?
  • mrcol1000
    mrcol1000 Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 15 March 2017 at 2:59PM
    If you upload tracking and it shows it undelivered you will lose a case. You need to refund before the last date you can as otherwise they will force a refund and you will get a black mark. I had a parcel "lost" by My Hermes that was delivered after I had refunded. Luckily the buyer was honest and re-sent the payment by PayPal.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,193 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Snowbelle wrote: »
    Buyer has done that already - I wasnt sure if I need to refund now or upload the tracking information showing the parcel to be stuck somewhere?

As per mrcol1000 says you need to make sure you do not allow this case to be escalated. To win an INR you need to prove delivery, and your own post suggests that is something you cannot do, all your tracking proves is that buyer is correct in saying parcel has not been delivered.

If this escalates before you refund then you lose your FVFs and get a defect, so watch your dates very carefully. How long ago was the case opened?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Snowbelle
    Snowbelle Posts: 353 Forumite
    mrcol1000 wrote: »
    If you uploading and it shows it undelivered you will lose a case. You need to refund before the last date you can as otherwise they will force a refund and you will get a black mark. I had a parcel "lost" by My Hermes that was delivered after I had refunded. Luckily the buyer was honest and re-sent the payment by PayPal.
    soolin wrote: »
    As per mrcol1000 says you need to make sure you do not allow this case to be escalated. To win an INR you need to prove delivery, and your own post suggests that is something you cannot do, all your tracking proves is that buyer is correct in saying parcel has not been delivered.

If this escalates before you refund then you lose your FVFs and get a defect, so watch your dates very carefully. How long ago was the case opened?

Thank you for your help everyone. The case was opened yesterday. I think I will go with your advice and just refund. Hopefully Hermes will pay out eventually.
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I had occasion to claim for something from Hermes (not lost but damaged.)

I expected all sorts of hassle but when the two weeks was up they promptly refunded with no problems at all.
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • theonlywayisup
    Hermes are very good at refunding.

As above, refund your buyer, apologise for the loss and wait for the money back from Hermes.
  • Nesty
    Nesty Posts: 492 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If any Hermes parcel the tracking suddenly stops & doesn't update after 1 day considering it lost.

I had about 5 Hermes lost parcels in my time and Hermes have paid up everytime.

However, with Hermes it very wise to familarise yourself with their excluded list. There are a few items on there which they don't cover compinsation on, but I bet many send through anyway without knowing. Car parts is one!
  • theonlywayisup
    Nesty wrote: »
    If any Hermes parcel the tracking suddenly stops & doesn't update after 1 day considering it lost.

I had about 5 Hermes lost parcels in my time and Hermes have paid up everytime.

However, with Hermes it very wise to familarise yourself with their excluded list. There are a few items on there which they don't cover compinsation on, but I bet many send through anyway without knowing. Car parts is one!

It is wise to check every courier and their excluded lists.

I can't see the OP has sent any car parts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure