PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2013 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• mossy
    mossy Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did the weekly shopping today:

Sainsbugs £14.60
    L!dl £8.26

Need to pop in to Icy to pick up some eggs and snacks for DD's lunch box. That should only be a couple of pounds. :)
    Saving for Disney again, oops why book one Disney holiday when you can book two!
    :starmod: Emergency Fund Savings - #148 - £10/£1000 1% :starmod:
    :xmastree:#083 SPC6 £63 - SPC7 £90 - SPC8 £63 - SPC9 £54 - SPC10 £26 - SPC12 £70 :xmastree:
  • CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,761 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry that I wasn't around for most of January. We had a family bereavement which also meant my father coming to stay for quite a length of time from another part of the country. This alone turns me into a nervous wreck, before taking anything else into consideration. I think I held back the snow by sheer willpower here until he was on the train home again.

Thank you to the kind people who look after this thread. Could I be put down for £140 for February please, with a view to making a significant addition to our holiday funds from that. I will not be happy if I spend it all due to the amount I already have in. There is something about the threat of bad weather and the thought of being trapped in the house with a hungry 8 year old that makes me buy far too much food. It's all in the cupboards or freezer so it won't be wasted, but even so :o
  • Bluegreen143
    Bluegreen143 Posts: 3,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 28 January 2013 at 10:44PM
    Options
    Hey everyone - thanks for the new thread :)

Still in January until the 31st but wanted to pop on to say I'm budgeting for £185 in February. Had to think long and hard about what to budget, as hadn't planned to drop below £200, but with OH being much more on board these days (to save up for the wedding), and February being a short month, I decided to reduce by £15.

As usual, this is for all groceries, toiletries and cleaning stuff for me, OH and the cat. Doesn't include alcohol or any eating out (including if we buy lunch out at work etc), which we get with our own money.
    Part time working mum | Married in 2014 | DS born 2015 & DD born 2018 | Allegedly attempting to be mortgage free - diary here
  • cornishchick
    Options
    pay day. yeah and first spend for FEB, I have put my plan into action and taken the £180 food money out in cash and have put it in a pot in the kitchen,
    redesgined my menu plan sheet to include an area for shopping, up dated my stock lists for the freezer and cuboard
    and got OH on board to not just nip over the garage for forgotton bits at twice the price.
    so far, I have spent
    coop £6.20
    lidls £4.80
    both visted as part of my work day, supporting in the community so no actually travel cost to me, bonus.
    so total of 11.04.
    hoping to have at least 2 NSDs a week. and eat out of the freezer.
    good luck and happy bargin hunting every one..
    today's mood is brought to you by coffee, lack of sleep and idiots.

Living on my memories, making new ones.
    declutter 104/2020

November GC £96.09/£100.
    December GC £00.00/£100
  • Bunchy9
    Bunchy9 Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 29 January 2013 at 1:07PM
    Options
    Hello,

I'm new to this forum, after lurking for a while & getting inspiration!

Please could I be put down for £165 for February. My month will begin on the first of Feb.

Thank you. :)

Bunchy
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,925 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am thinking about buying some eggs tomorrow - pass shop on way back from Doctor's appointment. I am down to 6 eggs - will use 2 at lunchtime - hate to get really low in case I fancy baking - if I can find space for cake in freezer.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 252/300
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £51.35/£100 NSD - 75
    2024 Craft Makes - 204 Craft Spends 2024 £295.23/£500
  • GreenFairy
    Options
    In again, though not joining til the first. Can I be put down for €230 please? Works out at just under £200, which is a bit skinny for us but times are tough and the presses are full :)
    Attempting to stay on track in the Grocery Challenge!

Occasionally blogging at CookingTheBooks!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Managed to get through January with less spent which is good and have £3.81 to go into the holiday pot on Friday.No more shopping to buy this week I topped up my veg yesterday.February being a short month I am going to budget for £60.00 in my food purse and will try to do most of my shopping as I did in January from my food stocks and stuff in the freezer.
    I have got so used to only buying what's actually needed to use and adapting what I already have in store that I am saving quite a bit at the moment True there is only me to feed,but I am pleased at the way things are panning out.It helps the fact that the weathers been awful so often apart from picking up the DGS from school I don't have to go near a shop.I certainly havn't missed the supermarkets at all.
    Good Luck everyone with February's challenge
    JackieO xxx
  • couldsavemore_2
    Options
    I would like to aim for£280 for February please

I normally spend between 80- 120 a month so allowing 70 a week im going to have be very resourceful. we have just made a huge pot of tomato sauce for the freezer and veg stock along with some marmalade. will make something else at weekend for the freezer.

we are going to the butchers on Friday as well to stock up on meat for month.

will need to take a trip to co**co as well. somethings are quite a bit cheaper but i need to buy a lot in one go to make it worth the journey
    You can if you think you can .
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    thank you so much for this thread and allthe wonderful information in it, just moving over from the jan thread

NSD yesterday and looking like another today

January spends £357.33

february budget £400

actually manged to come in under budget for the first time, hoping that bodes well for the rest of the year
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure