How much do decorators charge?

I normally do my own decorating, but I haven't been well enough to do it and it is starting to look shabby. Roughly, how much would it cost to get a decorator to paint 3 average sized bedrooms. I want the walls & ceilings emulsioned and the skirting boards, doors and window-frames glossed.
I thought I'd ask on here before I ring round for quotes then I would know if the quotes are reasonable. My bedrooms are about 10' x 10'.
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times and I'll smash your face in. :D

Comments

• paullwill8
    paullwill8 Posts: 488 Forumite
    I charge £15 per hour, as far as I am aware this is around the going rate, the average size room is normally around £180-£220.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always recieve lots
  • misgrace
    misgrace Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    In an ideal world, it would probably take 2 days, thats if you can start the actual painting straight away.
    But if you have to do a fair amount of prep, on the ceilings and walls, also the woodwork, then there is the masking up, sheeting up, clearing up etc.

The ceiling has to be finished first, at least 2 coats, before you start on the walls,another 2 coats at least, but you can undercoat the woodwork in between, but you do the actual top coat on your skirtings and frames last.

So allowing for all this, you could say, 2-3 days, so if you work on an average of £90-130 per day then at least you will get an idea.

When I give a price, I always include, white emulsion, filler, masking tape, decerators caulk, undercoat/gloss etc, the only thing the client buys is the actual colour for the walls.

As I always have these materials, its cheaper for the client to pay for what I use, much better than the client going out and buying these materials, then stuck with different cans in the shed that never get used again. lol.
  • Mine charges around £350 a room which includes prepping painting/ decorating (I buy the wall paper, he buys paint) the £350 is for putting up paper its a bit less if its just a paint job.
  • Joannag_2
    Joannag_2 Posts: 148
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Here in Suffolk I pay £150-£170 for 2 coats of paint in a bedroom, I provide emulsion he provides gloss.
  • I have a property i let and the agent just got me a quote for doing the house at £2460.

I got a quote for £650

Somewhat different
  • jkgray
    jkgray Posts: 196 Forumite
    I paid £400 for 3 men for 1 day to emulsion all wall and gloss all woodwork in a 2 bed, 2 bath, 1 living room, 1 kitchen, apartment I rent out. Inc. all paint and materials. Good job done.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,094
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    jkgray wrote: »
    I paid £400 for 3 men for 1 day to emulsion all wall and gloss all woodwork in a 2 bed, 2 bath, 1 living room, 1 kitchen, apartment I rent out. Inc. all paint and materials. Good job done.

Quality job then.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • nickj_2
    nickj_2 Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    jkgray wrote: »

i take it that was a one coat special?
  • jkgray
    edited 17 February 2011 at 11:03AM
    phill99 wrote: »
    Quality job then.

Yes. I just don't pay over the odds. I was happy to pay £100 for the paint and £100 per man per day.

Are you a decorator looking to justify his prices?
  • jkgray
    edited 17 February 2011 at 11:22AM
    nickj wrote: »
    i take it that was a one coat special?

No it was not.

Another decorator looking to justify his prices?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure