Solar ... In the news

Options

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    these are lab results, but show that efficiency of silicon based pv still has lots of potential without the need of high expense materials.

New records for the solar cell of tomorrow
    "These records show that combining crystalline silicon and other materials is the way forward if we are to improve solar power's cost/efficiency ratio," said Christophe Ballif, Director of CSEM's PV-center and EPFL Photovoltaics laboratory.

"It affirms that silicon heterojunction solar cells, when integrated into the structure that we've developed, can generate multi-junction cell conversion efficiencies over 32%" said Matthieu Despeisse, manager of crystalline silicon solar cells activities at CSEM.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • silverwhistle
    Options
    zeupater wrote: »
    short build/supply cycles of renewable technologies.

Interesting post. The bit I've highlighted is one I've mentioned on occasion in comments: I returned to this modest ex-council terrace from abroad after some years, and within a month of my return had received quotes, accepted one and had a 4kWp installation commissioned. I'd done some research beforehand and I had my rainy day cash ISA to exploit so no complicated schemes.

I've contributed to my own security of supply, I just pay my bill on receipt, no direct debit faff, and I've contributed to a reduction in fuel imports and national fuel security too, even in an infinitesimal way. I've also become much more aware of my own energy usage.

I'm not aware of any other way I could make such a personal contribution for nuclear, beyond extortionate unit rates as a passive consumer. No special bonds I could buy - like those War Bonds which were eventually redeemed..

At some stage though I may have to review my decent holding of ex-employee SSE shares! :D In the meantiome I'm hoping Coire Glas comes to fruition as it will be invaluable for balancing loads and exploiting solar and wind intermittencies, and as a shareholder I'd definitely be for it. There are some things large companies are best for, and it'll be some time before I can afford my own battery!
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    At some stage though I may have to review my decent holding of ex-employee SSE shares! :D In the meantiome I'm hoping Coire Glas comes to fruition as it will be invaluable for balancing loads and exploiting solar and wind intermittencies, and as a shareholder I'd definitely be for it. There are some things large companies are best for, and it'll be some time before I can afford my own battery!

Thanks for the mention of Coire Glas, interesting if it goes ahead.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    all of these measures will obviously push farm pv below 50/mwh, and domestic pv below 5p/kwh long beforec 2030 ..... maybe 2020. [in 2017 monies]
    @tonyseba reckons that the cost of home/local PV and battery will be less than the cost of electricity transmission around 2020. Obviously we'll still need large scale generation for some industries but basically he's saying that within ten years virtually everywhere will be solar powered.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • NigeWick
    Options
    Less so in darker, colder countries with a large industrial demand - the more seasonal variation, the lower (and slower) the penetration that is possible -at least as a general rule.
    I understand that and there are already sunny places where solar is less than the cost of any other electric energy source unsubsidised.

I live in England (so not too sunny) and have a 4kW system. I turn my gas water heating off in May and do not need to turn it on again until October due to the solar producing enough for my daytime needs. I note that I am often exporting to the grid which for me is a waste. I am therefore looking to increase the PV a bit and add a Tesla Powerwall 2 which should mean that I am completely self sufficient in half decent weather. As solar and battery technology improves, and so far it has been faster than @tonyseba 's graphs predicted, I am sure that the take up will accelerate as more and more people can afford it. I believe the UK has more than enough solar and wind potential, when combined with batteries, to make us completely electricity independent using just renewables.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • NigeWick
    Options
    I'm hoping Coire Glas comes to fruition
    And one hopes, more similar projects.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • Nicolai_Grenovski
    Options
    I note that I am often exporting to the grid which for me is a waste. I am therefore looking to increase the PV a bit and add a Tesla Powerwall 2 which should mean that I am completely self sufficient in half decent weather.
    Hi Nigel, I live in Germany.
    I know that not many UK houses have export meters but if you officially use solar to charge your battery instead of exporting to the local mains supply do you lose your FIT payment?
    I ask because I know of someone who got reported for diverting FiT solar to heat their water and this is effectively the same.

Secondly, is your priority environmental or are you just seeking to cut costs?
  • gefnew
    gefnew Posts: 876 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No
    fit in the uk pays you for all your generation and a deemed 50% export.this is if you use it all or not, that is why there is a lot ways in the uk to divert excess solar to other devices or batteries as they become more cost effective. this will benefit both parties, cutting import costs and also helping the enviroment.
    regards
    gefnew
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Hi Nigel, I live in Germany.
    I know that not many UK houses have export meters but if you officially use solar to charge your battery instead of exporting to the local mains supply do you lose your FIT payment?
    I ask because I know of someone who got reported for diverting FiT solar to heat their water and this is effectively the same.

Secondly, is your priority environmental or are you just seeking to cut costs?

Is this the situation in Germany? as it isn't in UK.

There are all manner of devices marketed to divert solar electricity, mainly to the immersion heater in a HW tank. e.g. immersun https://www.immersun.co.uk/ many of these are now included in the installation package.

Given it has a German name I assumed it was originally a German manufactured device.

In case you are unaware of the situation in UK. The FIT payment is for every kWh generated. In addition there is an export payment for an assumed 50% of the total generated kWh. This 50% export is paid regardless of the householder exporting 100% of the generated kWh or 0% of that generated. So in theory you could use every kWh in the house and export nothing, and still claim the 50% export payment.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 8 September 2017 at 2:28PM
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    ... In addition there is an export payment for an assumed 50% of the total generated kWh. This 50% export is paid regardless of the householder exporting 100% of the generated kWh or 0% of that generated. So in theory you could use every kWh in the house and export nothing, and still claim the 50% export payment.
    Hi

However, there's likely to be little hurry from the energy supply sector to address this. As long as the majority of households export considerably more than 50% of their generation then there's absolutely no incentive for the industry to push for metered exports to replace the deemed payment ... it would simply cost them money! For example, take the FiT scheme & smart-meters ... you would have thought that there be pressure to use inputs & the available registers to replace TGMs in a sane world, wouldn't you ??

Anyway, I'm sitting here at the moment and our PV is generating 3.24kW of which 480W is powering the house (laptop, TV etc) as well as providing 1.9kW.t of space heating and running a solar thermal pump currently dumping 1kW.t to the DHW ... and we're still exporting 85% of what's being produced ...

.. Taking this into consideration, I'm sure that NigeWick won't be alone in having domestic batteries installed .... the ability to provide 24Hr heating with our own solar power ... just think on the logs I'd save ! ... :D

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure