It's kind of fun to do the impossible

Comments

• Sholly
    Sholly Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Great progress there Sholly!

When I have wobble moments of 's*d it! Life's too short!' I try to remind myself if how all the little bits add up and how much freedom we will have in future when the figures are lower :D

Thank you!

Oh, I definitely go through those phases!...So I try to do both with is very hard work! I can't wait to have no debt - it seems like a dream at the moment though.

xx
  • Sholly
    Cream_Tea wrote: »
    Just caught up. That's a very impressive amount to pay off in 12 months. Keep up the amazing work. I'm back on it! Look forward to reading more from your mission.
    CT

Hi CT!

Thank you!

I think I fell of the MSE waggon for a bit so I'm trying to focus again now. I'm trying to spend as little as I can in July so we'll see how that goes - so far so good! How are you doing?

xx
  • Sholly
    This month has not been good for the debt slaying.

Summer means vacation, right? Well we had a lovely, low cost staycation instead. We camped around the UK for a couple of weeks but we ate out a few times and did some fun activities that weren't cheap but overall the holiday didn't cost a fortune...but then we got back and started on the new bathroom at my rental. Unfortunately, it was necessary as the neighbours downstairs complained of a leak caused by our bathroom and every fix we tried didn't work. I think by the end of this week, I will have spent about £1,300 in total including plumber, plasterer and tiler - that's more than my monthly debt payments at the moment :-( . This was the last room to be renovated though so hopefully it means that I won't have any more complaints from tenants or neighbours.

New debt figure £13,950.

I have had a re-think of my debt-free plan - I think that April 2018 was too much of a push so I have a new target of August.
  • Sholly
    I've been feeling so frustrated with my financial situation recently, and other things too I guess. I have touched on this, but if I put it down in more detail, hopefully I can unpick what is bothering me.

My rental pays the mortgage and I have some profit on top of that, but the bathroom was leaking into the flat below. The agents didn't let me know until it was too late and the ceiling in the flat downstairs suffered some damage as a result. The plumber that came over assured me that he fixed the problem, but obviously hadn't. In the end, I have had to remove the old bathroom, including the flooring and replace it. We had 3 trades in: a plasterer, a plumber and a tiler - I'm unhappy with some of the work that both the plumber and the tiler have done so the only trade that I have paid so far is the plasterer. Add to this the fact that my boyfriend and I put in very long days to ensure that, when the tenants got back from their 6 day holiday, they had a brand new, fully functioning bathroom and a flat that was as clean as it was when they went on holiday (plus some!)...and then they complained about it, and he's so bloody patronising. I'm pretty fed up and annoyed. I had a moment the other day of just wanting to sell up, but I know that's only short-term gain. I have a feeling that these tenants will leave when their contract expires so hopefully the next tenants that I get in will have nothing to complain about - on top of the bathroom, the entire flat has been renovated over the last couple of years. I find the temporary stress so consuming, but if I just get my head out of the sand and deal with it quickly, I'm alright.

So in the meantime, I need to update my diary more regularly. I need focus and accountability. I have set myself a target of paying £966 a month off my debt from September until March 2018 and then £1,416 until it is paid off in August 2018, but that is not going to happen unless I get a grip on my finances - I would need a miracle next month to be able to do this, but we shall see.

My debt as it stands now:

Priority 1 Halifax CC £3,576.00 0% until April 2018
    Priority 2 Virgin CC £5,939.00 0% until August 2018
    Priority 2 Lloyds CC £4,981.00 0% until August 2018

Boyfriend and I have been discussing the possibility of releasing some equity from our house once our fixed term ends early next year to either buy a house to renovate and sell on (we both enjoying doing this) or buying another buy-to-let. I think that the buy to let is the easier option, and having someone to share the stress with would make it far easier. We tried to do this when we last remortgaged but the lender thought our debt was too high (I can absolutely see why!) so hopefully by the time we are ready, it will be at an acceptable level. If not, we'll reduce our term again and pay our mortgage off quicker.

Once my debt has gone, I have plans to split my income into an emergency pot, my pension, buying some shares and reducing down both mortgages. Eventually I'd love to buy a holiday home abroad.

For the time being, I am going to set myself lists, targets and challenges to make sure I get this, and everything else, under control:

Today, I want to achieve:

Financially:
    A NSD
    Commit to being MSE again (I can count this as done, right?)

With littlie:
    Cycle with littlie to his activity rather than using the car (he's up for it!)

House stuff:
    Prepare tea before we go out
    Make a list of all of the freezer food and plan meals
    Tidy the kitchen
    Put all of the washing away

Mentally:
    Bath with a book (don't drop it), bed by 11pm
  • Cream_Tea
    Cream_Tea Posts: 427 Forumite
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Sounds like a plan. We're in a similar boat and it has helped my mood pushing myself with a bigger monthly target but I'm very impatient and sometimes forget all progress is good. Good lucky Sholly!

CT
    Mortgage [STRIKE]£269,000[/STRIKE] £258,987 / MF date [STRIKE]June'49[/STRIKE] June'49
    Debt £24,990 / Debt Free Est. May'21

Updated 06/05/18
  • Sholly
    Sounds like a plan. We're in a similar boat and it has helped my mood pushing myself with a bigger monthly target but I'm very impatient and sometimes forget all progress is good. Good lucky Sholly!

CT

Hi CT,

I do this too - I need to focus on how much I've done so far and not be too hard on myself...easier said that done though!

How are you?

Sholly x
  • Sholly
    Monday's lists:

Financially:
    A NSD - done
    Commit to being MSE again (I can count this as done, right?)

With littlie:
    Cycle with littlie to his activity rather than using the car (he's up for it!) - done, in the rain! He loved it and wants to do it more

House stuff:
    Prepare tea before we go out - finished when we got home so I'm counting this as done, he was fed after all!
    Make a list of all of the freezer food and plan meals - not done, adding to my list for today
    Tidy the kitchen - mostly done, need to mop the floor today
    Put all of the washing away - done...and a new small pile has appeared - to be tackled today

Mentally:
    Bath with a book (don't drop it), bed by 11pm - pft, not even nearly done (I have showered though, promise!)...will definitely do this tonight whilst littlie and boyfriend are out.

Wednesday list

Financially:
    NSD other than littlie's haircut

With littlie:
    Game/chapter of Harry Potter

House stuff:
    Finish kitchen
    Make a list of all of the freezer food and plan meals
    Hoover living room and clean hallway
    Two loads of washing
    Put dry washing away

Looking after myself:
    Bath with a book, bed after I've put littlie to bed after his evening out

I am having a hard week having to deal with less than nice human beings! The lists are required to prevent a 2 month long hibernation onto the sofa with a couple of kilos of Dairy Milk.

Sholly x
  • Cream_Tea
    Cream_Tea Posts: 427 Forumite
    Wedding Day Wonder
    I miss good. You seem to be very busy. I like the idea of doing something to look after yourself. I may try to incorporate that into my week.

CT
    Mortgage [STRIKE]£269,000[/STRIKE] £258,987 / MF date [STRIKE]June'49[/STRIKE] June'49
    Debt £24,990 / Debt Free Est. May'21

Updated 06/05/18
  • Sholly
    I miss good. You seem to be very busy. I like the idea of doing something to look after yourself. I may try to incorporate that into my week.

CT

I am busy, but I'm just really trying to be a bit more productive with my time too - I'm guilty of wasting a lot of my evenings on social media when there are far more important things to be done. It is important to look after ourselves - also something I need to focus on more..so much work to do! I hope you enjoy whatever you manage to fit in for this :) xx
  • Sholly
    Financially:
    NSD other than littlie's haircut - fail, the tenants needed something for the flat so £14.99 over budget

With littlie:
    Game/chapter of Harry Potter - mega game of Monopoly started, to be continued today

House stuff:
    Finish kitchen - done
    Make a list of all of the freezer food and plan meals - done, I'm always amazed by what can be made when I think we have nothing in. Top up shop done today.
    Hoover living room and clean hallway - done
    Two loads of washing - done
    Put dry washing away - done

Looking after myself:
    Bath with a book, bed after I've put littlie to bed after his evening out - done

Today's list

Financially

Top up shop only, NSD aside from that

With Littlie

Continue Monopoly marathon

House stuff

Make chutney and flatbreads for lunch
    Hoover stairs

Looking after myself

Run 14k - Boyfriend is taking Littlie to his activity tonight so I'll hopefully get this done then
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback