PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying a houseboat

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 18 March 2017 at 8:11PM
    The boat looks nice and any boat would suit someone who as you said "lives out of a suitcase" - definitely not for hoarders LOL.

Surprised though you can't afford a flat if you can afford to take a hit when you sell plus the very high harbour fees. 10 years thats say £50k house loss plus maybe £100k maintenance and fees taking inflation into account (which i feel confident would be much higher for marina fees than general UK CPI). If you can afford £150k upfront plus £150k over ten years for a boat, cant you afford a flat?

Look up RIghtmove property 54849169 I dont see to be able to post a link (flat on the harbour for £190k)
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 March 2017 at 9:29PM
    Sorry. Can't open that URL. Crossed post!

Having lived in a flat I know just how high the service charges are - it ain't just £190k! And there are neighbour/can I have an animal etc issues.. I've had a good look at the flats in the area too. What looks good on paper! :). What I should have said earlier, perhaps, was that the sort of flat I'd fancy wasn't in my price range - ignoring the sort of service charges payable. To be honest, in my situation, £150k up front is a whole lot different to £190k right now

I guess, in the end, it's a "should I go for something completely different" or stick with what I have. Maybe something about having a glass of wine on a boat on a marina? And yep I know there is some dreaming going on!

I really appreciate your input. Thanks!
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi Neil. The boat you are considering is £150k. These people will sell you a bespoke 60ft boat for £108k. I have no way of comparing the quality of the two boats, but you are paying 40% more for the one in Ramsgate marina. Why?

What's to stop you buying any boat and mooring it in the marina? Looks like you can get the same result for far less money that way.

I hear that you are financially secure, but there's no sense in wasting money.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • NeilCr
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    Hi Neil. The boat you are considering is £150k. These people will sell you a bespoke 60ft boat for £108k. I have no way of comparing the quality of the two boats, but you are paying 40% more for the one in Ramsgate marina. Why?

What's to stop you buying any boat and mooring it in the marina? Looks like you can get the same result for far less money that way.

I hear that you are financially secure, but there's no sense in wasting money.

Thanks!

Sorry to be dumb but which people.

Very open to that if a residential mooring is available. Another question for the harbourmaster/whoever!
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    NeilCr wrote: »
    Thanks!

Sorry to be dumb but which people.

Very open to that if a residential mooring is available. Another question for the harbourmaster/whoever!

Sorry! I forgot to post the link.

http://www.aquanarrowboats.co.uk/new-boat-sales/

But that's just the first google link I clicked on.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • NeilCr
    edited 18 March 2017 at 9:30PM
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    Sorry! I forgot to post the link.

http://www.aquanarrowboats.co.uk/new-boat-sales/

But that's just the first google link I clicked on.

Thanks

Glad it wasn't me!

Have to think how to get it to Ramsgate too - assuming a mooring was available!
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,707 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    NeilCr wrote: »
    Thanks

Glad it wasn't me!

Have to think how to get it to Ramsgate too - assuming a mooring was available!

On the back of a low loader and offloaded with a crane, that's how narrowboats are often moved around the country.
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Good luck with it all Neil.I have zero knowledge about boats, but admire people, who are willing to take adventurous steps in life.As GERS said, HARDUPHESTER has just bought a canal boat to live on.If you click on her profile name, you can follow her blog It's really good :)
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,618 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    "Widebeam narrowboat" is an oxymoron.

£150K, 60 x 12, only 1 cabin and 1 head. Does not seem particularly good value and £6K pa mooring fee. Stay there 10 yrs and there's a minimum of £60K for allowing you to put 2 ropes around mooring posts.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • NeilCr
    "Widebeam narrowboat" is an oxymoron.

£150K, 60 x 12, only 1 cabin and 1 head. Does not seem particularly good value and £6K pa mooring fee. Stay there 10 yrs and there's a minimum of £60K for allowing you to put 2 ropes around mooring posts.

I understand this.

But it's also a possible "one off" chance to buy what looks like a lovely boat on a marina I love. And I can make an offer

I am starting to get my sensible head on too!

Thanks again for all the input
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport