Bank fraud

Comments

• robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Reread your original post.

Only the first line was fully true. After that it all went a bit Tolkien.
  • Jhoney_2
    Jhoney_2 Posts: 1,198 Forumite
    Thanks Jhoney. Indeed it has highlighted a problem with my banking expectations - I expect my bank not to make payments to third parties that I haven't authorised and when requested to stop a payment before it leaves my account, to do so. Is that so unreasonable?

1. They haven't
    2. You did
    3. They cannot - see point 1
    4. They do not - see Ts and Cs
    5. Yes it is unreasonable
    Far from trying to be unhelpful. I thought it was a good eye opener as to how we view things when it is us on the other side of the issue. If you were either the bank or the hotel would it still seem such a bad way to conduct/protect ones business?

I think not, but perhaps i'm alone/in the minority by having that opinion.
  • Chalkius
    Chalkius Posts: 110 Forumite
    I'd tend to agree.

It's not fraud, it's a company the OP has given his bank details to voluntarily.

And if it's anything like my main bank, the money will currently be in pending/outstanding. And it's not so much a case of the bank not wanting to do anything, they can't. They might be able to take it out of pending but if the company claims the funds it will still go out, and the bank can't claim it back if it's not gone out yet. Try and contact the people the booking was made with and ask them to cancel that pending amount.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 14 March 2017 at 7:15PM
    Jhoney wrote: »
    1. ...
    2. You did
    I don't think so
    They do not - see Ts and Cs
    Any example of T&C allowing a hotel to take/authorise £3K+ when the actual price is 2x£85? Why £3K, not £3M - in case the customer blows up the entire hotel
  • grumbler
    Chalkius wrote: »
    It's not fraud, it's a company the OP has given his bank details to voluntarily.
    Giving details isn't the same as authorising taking any amount they want.
    And if it's anything like my main bank, the money will currently be in pending/outstanding. And it's not so much a case of the bank not wanting to do anything, they can't.
    They can, they just don't want to.
    They might be able to take it out of pending but if the company claims the funds it will still go out, and the bank can't claim it back if it's not gone out yet. Try and contact the people the booking was made with and ask them to cancel that pending amount.
    And what if the 'people' refuse or don't reply or simply are fraudsters?
    You seem to be under the impression that the bank is at fault here - but in fact it is the originator of the payment that is at fault.
    Yes, but the bank can be more helpful.
    You gave them your debit card number did you not?
    I don't understand this point.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 March 2017 at 8:59PM
    This point about being overdrawn is a moot one. On your account will be a list of debits or credits and a running balance. However the funds available will show your running balance minus any pending payments or, indeed, money that has been pre authorised. But, if these pre-authorised payments are not claimed, then they will not show on any statement, so you will not be charged any fees.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • grumbler wrote: »
    Any example of T&C allowing a hotel to take/authorise £3K+ when the actual price is 2x£85? Why £3K, not £3M - in case the customer blows up the entire hotel

Nothing whatsoever to do with his bank.
    DEBT FREE!

Debt free by Xmas 2014: £3555.67/£4805.67 (73.99%)
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: £1250/£1250 (100.00%)
  • grumbler
    Nothing whatsoever to do with his bank.
    And how is this related to the part of my post that you quoted?

Bank can release the the funds wrongfully authorised by the hotel.
  • mt99
    mt99 Posts: 472 Forumite
    This is a well documented issue with debit cards, although not widely known to say the least.

There are two scenarios:

1. you buy something with a debit card costing £x - then £x is debited from your account. This amount will be shown on your receipt.

2. The other scenario happens with hotels, car hire etc etc. They 'reserve' a large amount on your card. This is not actually taken, but will reduce the available balance at your bank. When you check out/return the car they release this reservation and at the same time charge you the final bill. If you are lucky they take the final bill out of the reserved amount - if not, your available balance decreases even more - by the size of the final bill - and a couple of days later the reservation cancellation kicks in and all it well.

So that is why - as others have said - it is best to use a credit card in these situations
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Briefly, 2 days ago I booked a hotel room for the first couple of nights of my holiday overseas for £83 online. The hotel has now tried to take an additional £3330 which I did not authorise.

This money is still in my account but HSBC refuses to stop this payment even though I have not authorised it. They have told me that UK banking regulations guarantee such a payment from my account whether or not it has been authorised by me.

The bank say they won’t even try to recover this money until they have let the money go out of my account and that I will be out of pocket and overdrawn for at least the next 7 days.

I now have no money and a large overdraft and HSBC have advised me to use my savings in the meantime. I am due to go on holiday on Sunday, but because I am now overdrawn by thousands, I may not be able to go.

So, it seems that someone is about to steal money from me and the bank is going to stand by and let them, leaving all the problems with me. How can this be right or fair?

I know this may sound old fashioned Tim from Brighton but have you actually tried speaking to the hotel concerned rather than wasting a lot of time and energy on this forum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure