TFL Yellow Box penalty notice

Comments

• Right, so your suggestion is that when travelling at 30mph through a busy yet free flowing box junction, go from 30mph to 0 at the start of the junction (when the lights are green), wait for the guy in front to exit it (it's a very large box junction), and then go again?

Think about it.. that's totally unreasonable. No one does that!

Eurghhhh. Anyway, I've got advice from experts who suggest asking for the video. If it appears the driver in front has been unreasonable then a tribunal would dismiss it.
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
    - Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
    [/FONT]
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Eurghhhh. Anyway, I've got advice from experts who suggest asking for the video. If it appears the driver in front has been unreasonable then a tribunal would dismiss it.

What experts?

What tribunal?
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    konark wrote: »
    And if you wait patiently at the other side of the box until there is room for you to cross you get some muppet blowing his horn angrily at you. So it's lose-lose.

Can honestly say in my 11 years of driving, no one has ever beeped the horn at me because i was waiting for the exit to become clear at a yellow box junction.

Right, so your suggestion is that when travelling at 30mph through a busy yet free flowing box junction, go from 30mph to 0 at the start of the junction (when the lights are green), wait for the guy in front to exit it (it's a very large box junction), and then go again?

Plenty of people do it. I'd rather do it than risk a fine.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    Right, so your suggestion is that when travelling at 30mph through a busy yet free flowing box junction, go from 30mph to 0 at the start of the junction (when the lights are green), wait for the guy in front to exit it (it's a very large box junction), and then go again?

Well it's not "free flowing" if you have to wait for another car to exit, is it!

In circumstances like these you should always be ready to stop as you would do with any other junction.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    This forum is a very interesting lesson in how many drivers think, or not as the case may be.

A lesson for everyone and helps in my defensive driving approach whenever on the road.
  • neilmcl wrote: »
    Well it's not "free flowing" if you have to wait for another car to exit, is it!

In circumstances like these you should always be ready to stop as you would do with any other junction.

I love it when people comment after not really properly reading what's happened here.

IT was free flowing. The idiot in front of me stopped because he was on his phone or something and panicked (emergency break) leading me to stop. There was clearly space in front of him. And after beeping him, he continued to move forward.
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
    [/FONT]
  • I love it when people comment after not really properly reading what's happened here.

IT was free flowing. The idiot in front of me stopped because he was on his phone or something and panicked (emergency break) leading me to stop. There was clearly space in front of him. And after beeping him, he continued to move forward.

I'm sorry that you still seem unable to comprehend the fact that the offence is 'stopping with the marked area'.

No matter whether the 'idiot in front of you' stopped or not, you should not have entered the box until your exit was clear. But you did. The road in front of you was not clear, so you shouldn't have entered the box.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,212 Forumite
    I love it when people comment after not really properly reading what's happened here.

How do you know that the "idiot" in front of you didn't have a valid reason to stop? Especially as you said in the OP that "the visibility is poor".

BTW I've been driving up and down Purley Way for 35 years, and heve never had to stop in a yellow box. I guess I must be really lucky ...
  • GingerBob_3
    GingerBob_3 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    I was caught in almost identical circumstances in a London Borough adjoining yours. I wrote a reasoned reply pointing out that the car in front had stopped with a long gap in front of him which resulted in my back tyres being on the edge of the yellow box. Mentioned that the photos attached to the fine letter showed clearly that I wasn't causing an obstruction to traffic on or joining the main road. Sadly they declined my appeal, saying that it was up to me to ensure that the car in front had left sufficient space for me to cross the box!

On the plus side, there was an indication on the original letter that the reduced rate of fine would be applied in the event of an appeal being made provided it was paid within 14 days of the appeal being declined. If that's the case with yours I'd give an appeal a go - you've nothing to lose! Good luck.

There are some real scumbags in local government and the like these days.
  • Car_54 wrote: »
    How do you know that the "idiot" in front of you didn't have a valid reason to stop? Especially as you said in the OP that "the visibility is poor".

BTW I've been driving up and down Purley Way for 35 years, and heve never had to stop in a yellow box. I guess I must be really lucky ...

Because he was quite clearly concentrating on something else. Consistently randomly breaking and doing weird things. Either kids or phone or something going on in the car.

So if you call dropping your phone a valid reason to stop, makes sense.
    [/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family