Neighbours garden/fence presenting a danger

The house behind ours is rented out and the tenants or landlord are not keen on maintenance. The problem is the garden is quite overgrown and the fence (which is theirs) is starting to fall down.

I realise there is not normally much that can be done about this but there are some very prickly brambles now growing into my garden and I'd rather not have my 3 year old playing around them.

Is there anything I can do to at least get them to fix the fence as asking hasn't worked previously and I'd have thought they'd at least have a responsibility to contain their garden.

Comments

• This is a question that comes up frequently on the Net and, regrettably, the answer people give boils down to "There is nothing in law that compels people to maintain their fences".

Sorry....:(

It does seem to boil down to "He who is bothered does the work" and they can't stop you doing that - ie erecting a fence in your own garden.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    edited 13 October 2016 at 8:29AM
    getting late for this year but brambles will die back with appropriate products, Roundup being a well known brand others are available.

currently available in the sales so stock up for next year, and just cut back to the fence for now.

new growth next year apply products as they show.

problem is they will come back, will be an ongoing battle .

Even if you deal with the fence yourselves brambles will grow over and sneak under if not sorted on the other side.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Money is right. From a legal perspective, there is nothing to compel another owner to act on fencing, even if there is danger from blackberry bushes.

There is also nothing in law to prevent you taking action to erect a suitable fence on your side of the boundary, removing the aforementioned danger at a stroke.
  • I thought that might be the case. The problem is if I do repair the fence, or erect a new one, bushes are likely to push through again.

I might have to drop a large quantity of roundup over there. I guess this isn't allowed but I doubt they'll be bothered to do anything about it.
  • Davesnave
    I used to put an extra dilute soloution of glyphosate on my rear neighbours' rambling roses every year at my old house. It wasn't enough to kill them right back, but it halted them in their tracks. The neighbour thought they were just diesease-ridden, so we were all happy.
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 13 October 2016 at 11:15AM
    Roundup...currently available in the sales so stock up for next year, and just cut back to the fence for now.

Cutting back is actually all you are allowed to do and if I found anyone flinging poison around my land, there'd be a response they didn't expect and wouldn't like!

I get that these are tantamount to weeds but why not ASK the other folk if you may spray the brambles. If they are [STRIKE]lazy gardeners[/STRIKE] disinclined to keep them under control, they may well be very pleased for someone else to do their work for them.

Just slinging weedkiller about can so easily lead to accusations of criminal damage with all the trouble that can lead to. Don't go there!
  • Davesnave
    Great use of emotive language there, but if anyone needs to get rid of brambles on their land, the best way is not to 'sling' glyphosate, but to immerse the ends of new growth in a bucket of it for half an hour or so.

Alternatively, paint the fronds using a brush. Don't spray. No problems with accusations then.
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I take your point :) but the OP has no right in law to be putting anything on someone else's land, whether that be dirty water, coal dust or poisonous chemicals, without that landowner's permission.

It was done to my garden by an obsessively tidy neighbour who thought that native hedging and wildflowers were a blot on his landscape and that dislike led him to SBK the bloomin' lot behind our backs!

Not funny nor lawful which is why I commented as I did.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Cutting back is actually all you are allowed to do and if I found anyone flinging poison around my land, there'd be a response they didn't expect and wouldn't like!

I get that these are tantamount to weeds but why not ASK the other folk if you may spray the brambles. If they are [STRIKE]lazy gardeners[/STRIKE] disinclined to keep them under control, they may well be very pleased for someone else to do their work for them.
    Just slinging weedkiller about can so easily lead to accusations of criminal damage with all the trouble that can lead to. Don't go there!

You don't go flinging/slinging anything you just apply it to the growth on your side, leave a week and cut back.

The growth will be stunted enough to reduce the encroachment.

Killing it off will need a much more aggressive strategy.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 13 October 2016 at 3:00PM
    I thought that might be the case. The problem is if I do repair the fence, or erect a new one, bushes are likely to push through again.

I might have to drop a large quantity of roundup over there. I guess this isn't allowed but I doubt they'll be bothered to do anything about it.

You could be putting yourself at risk if you do that - ie of being sued for making them ill.

There is every chance they are picking and eating their blackberries and could do so in all innocence "knowing" that nothing could have contaminated their blackberries (ie because they "know" exactly what is going on in their own garden) and then finding themselves wondering why they are ill (ie because of having, unknowingly, ingested some Roundup).

Personally - I regard it as totally unacceptable to spray chemicals onto someone else's land except in extremis (by which I mean Japanese Knotweed or running bamboo ONLY). For anything else - your property is going to be perfectly safe - and you are NOT entitled to do that and they would have every right to deal with you "firmly" one way or another if they caught you at it.

You don't want to know just how I'd deal with a neighbour I caught spraying chemicals onto perfectly innocent plants in my garden.....:cool:

As for any risk of brambles sneaking through a fence - do a wall instead of a fence. It's not rocket science and I've done exactly that myself to keep outside weeds at bay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure