Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Charitable Donations

2»

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I am not sure of the latest reasoning, but when we first registered on JustGiving there was very little competition.

And the functionality of the other options was usually limited when they first became available.

I'm not sure we'd get many 'cold' donations / fundraising pages set up by people who just fancied doing something and were looking for a random charity, because we are not a popular cause. I'm sure that would be significant for some charities, however.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    I am not sure of the latest reasoning, but when we first registered on JustGiving there was very little competition.

And the functionality of the other options was usually limited when they first became available.

I'm not sure we'd get many 'cold' donations / fundraising pages set up by people who just fancied doing something and were looking for a random charity, because we are not a popular cause. I'm sure that would be significant for some charities, however.

So do you encourage supporters to use other (more cost-effective) fundraising platforms now?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Yes, but we still get more in via JG than we pay out in the monthly sub!
  • mateypeeps
    mateypeeps Posts: 167 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    True, but Virgin Money Giving (not for profit) only make a charge of 2% on the donation amount whereas JustGiving make a charge of 'up to 5%' of the donation amount. JustGiving also charges charities a monthly subscription fee which Virgin don't. However there are a number of other charity giving platforms which can provide even better value for charities as this recent MSE web site article demonstrates:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/charity-fundraising-sites

To level the field a bit, I have to mention the £100+VAT that Virgin ALSO charge the charity as a one off to set up.

So if with JustGiving and Virgin you would be break even around 6 months later for the cost of whatever is raised.

After a year the cost of being a member of Virgin's site is just the 2%, on JustGiving it will STILL be £180 a year plus the much more than 5% per donation on average that they initially let on about.

I have started looking up about forming a charity and the amount of pen pushing, especially in relation to Gift Aid, is mind boggling.

So, sites like JustGiving and Virgin do a useful job for those that hate pen-pushing and keeping detailed records as required by the HMRC (nee Inland Revenue) to prove each Giftaid was from someone that they can prove actually paid enough tax to cover the Giftaid paid out by the Government to the charity.

If and when they do spot checks.

Might see how BT stack up against these 2 online charity collection sites. Not normally a supplier I like to do any business with, but maybe their charity money collection service will be better than their telephone and broadband service.
  • mateypeeps
    mateypeeps Posts: 167 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Will MSE Forum Admin (and the owners) be happy to host a topic which allows charitable concerns to be mentioned with the hope of gathering donations to the charities decided on?

Hope so, but it would be nice and helpful if an Admin commented to say yes or no and if no, lock this thread.

If it was locked it would be a pity, and it is also a pity this was not a month earlier since today my stepdaughter and some family members are on a walk to get sponsorship for an operation to help her quadriplegic !!!!!! son which the NHS of course refuses to do.

If small local charity supporters did have permission to post about their pet charity or fundraising, then I would have pasted the donation link here.

But doing so as things stand would be unethical of me perhaps, so I refrain.
  • Savvy_Sue
    See our sticky: if it's a registered charity or a recognised donation site link then it's fine. You can see several already.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport