Help With Student Loans - HERE!

Comments

• Bad_Ash
    Bad_Ash Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Can't the university find alternative accomodation for him (assuming it is an official uni halls of residence)?

I would suggest that he tries to complete the year because the grades are usually irrelevant in the first year as long as you do enough to pass and get on to the second.

Doing a year more than necessary is always going to be costly.
  • dottydeb
    dottydeb Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am in urgent need of advice for my son. He will be 20 this year. He was set up to go to University last year. Had his loan and grant all sorted. After starting University for about a month, he dropped out and decided to take a year off. He is working at the moment. They told him, he could keep the grant and he intends to pay off the loan in the next couple of months, so he starts afresh. This year. He has been accepted at Manchester and is only just now applying for his new loan. He moved out of home last October and is staying with various friends etc. I am on income support and DLA. My main question is, as he does not live at home, do they still want my income details for his loan application?? I understand they use income from 2008/9. However, my income has dropped alot since then. I no longer get child benefit or child tax credit. so would he have to get the new current income form for 2010/11???
    Or is my income nothing to do with him as he left home??
    I think he's done an on-line calculation and the amount would be impossible for him to live on, even with a part time job. Would he have to apply as a single independent student?? I have heard of Adult learning grant. Special support grant. Change of circumstances form. Would any of these apply? I can't let him move back in with me, to apply, as it would affect my benefits. I am disabled and struggle, as it is. He would live at Manchester Uni, I am in Brighton anyway. I'm worried for him and want the best advise for him. Any help would be appreciated and sorry for the long post!
  • Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    He's still classed as dependent on your income for Student Finance. He's also used up his +1 year of support, and should have had to pay back some of the grant, so if he hasn't that will be deducted from what he owes this year.
  • dottydeb
    Taiko wrote: »
    He's still classed as dependent on your income for Student Finance. He's also used up his +1 year of support, and should have had to pay back some of the grant, so if he hasn't that will be deducted from what he owes this year.
    Thankyou for that. So he can use my income details, EVEN though he doesn't live with me?
    What does that mean then?? It's a 3 year course he is doing. So does that mean he will only receive funding for 2 years of his course??
    Even if he pays back the loan he got last year, in full, before he starts University, this year?
    If that's the case, is there any point in him paying back last years loan??
  • MrsManda
    MrsManda Posts: 4,457 Forumite
    dottydeb wrote: »
    Thankyou for that. So he can use my income details, EVEN though he doesn't live with me?
    What does that mean then?? It's a 3 year course he is doing. So does that mean he will only receive funding for 2 years of his course??
    Even if he pays back the loan he got last year, in full, before he starts University, this year?
    If that's the case, is there any point in him paying back last years loan??

If he wants to be income assessed he has to use your details as he is classed as a dependent. He should still get his 3 years as the funding is the length of the course +1 year.
    There is no point in him paying off the loan he got last year as he won't HAVE to pay it off until he's earning over £15k
    As taiko said, he should've had to pay back his grant though they may take that that off his entitlement for next year rather than asking for it back in cash
  • dottydeb
    Thankyou for that. All most helpfull. I was just worried sick if he used my income details, they would think he was living with me and stop my benefits as he is working. So, if he doesn't pay off last years loan, they will add it on to this years and the next etc. Even though he dropped out last year. It will mean he has more debt to repay, when he eventually starts repaying the loan, when he earns above £15k.
    He rang them up and was told he didn't have to repay the maintenance grant at all. Which we did think was odd as he wasn't actually going to University, at the time. But you think he won't get it for this year, but probably would get it next year? He will be finding himself a part time job when he moves to Manchester.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Delirium wrote: »
    Hi, sorry if this has been asked before - but is it possible to repay my student loan by direct debit/standing order and not have payments taken directly from my salary?
    The constantly increasing amount being taken is driving me crazy, not to mention making overtime completely pointless!!

Thanks for any help!

Why does paying 9% of your overtime as repayments make doing overtime pointless?
  • dottydeb wrote: »
    I was just worried sick if he used my income details, they would think he was living with me and stop my benefits as he is working.

It doesn't mean he's living with you, just that you're the parent he has most contact with. As you are on income support, he will qualify for maximum funding (minus any grant overpayment they want back), so he should have enough to live on, especially if he can find a part-time job as well.

If you were earning more than £25k in 08/09 then you'll have to complete a current year assessment form after you have completed the initial form.

He will not be eligible for the Adult Learning Grant (this is for up to Level 3 courses) or the Special Support Grant (unless he is disabled himself or a lone parent).
  • Zaytsev
    Zaytsev Posts: 11 Forumite
    I am a mature student with 4 kids and a wife in the first year of my 3 year degree.

After a nightmare applying for Student Loans i finally got everything sorted late last year.

In November I got married and took my wife's surname. I filled in the correct forms and advised the Uni and Student Finance of the change along with my deed poll.

Somewhere along the way in February the Uni advised Student finance that I had withdrawn from my course. This was incorrect and I am still in attendance and have even applied for my second years funding.

It appears the Uni had not updated the name change on their system and so when the attendance sheet confirmation from SF came the Uni could not tie up the two names and informed Sf I had withdrawn.

The Uni realised their mistake straight away and via the HEI helpline advised by email that I was still in attendance and had never withdrawn.

On 26th March I got a letter from SF stating that they had been informed I had withdrawn from the course. I called them and told them this was not the case but was told the Uni would have to confirm this. I contacted the Uni and they did this via the HEI straight away.

I then received another letter stating that my payment for 19th of April was blocked. On checking my online account all the payments for the 19th April had disappeared.

I then received a letter requesting repayment of my grants and loans totalling nearly £5000.

The Uni have now informed SF via the HEI helpline 5 times that I have not withdrawn but when I call the SF helpline all they say is that they have received no notification.

I am left with no money, rent to pay, kids to feed, exams and assignments to concentrate on. This is a nightmare and I don't know what to do to sort this mess out.
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Zaytsev wrote: »
    I am a mature student with 4 kids and a wife in the first year of my 3 year degree.

After a nightmare applying for Student Loans i finally got everything sorted late last year.

In November I got married and took my wife's surname. I filled in the correct forms and advised the Uni and Student Finance of the change along with my deed poll.

Somewhere along the way in February the Uni advised Student finance that I had withdrawn from my course. This was incorrect and I am still in attendance and have even applied for my second years funding.

It appears the Uni had not updated the name change on their system and so when the attendance sheet confirmation from SF came the Uni could not tie up the two names and informed Sf I had withdrawn.

The Uni realised their mistake straight away and via the HEI helpline advised by email that I was still in attendance and had never withdrawn.

On 26th March I got a letter from SF stating that they had been informed I had withdrawn from the course. I called them and told them this was not the case but was told the Uni would have to confirm this. I contacted the Uni and they did this via the HEI straight away.

I then received another letter stating that my payment for 19th of April was blocked. On checking my online account all the payments for the 19th April had disappeared.

I then received a letter requesting repayment of my grants and loans totalling nearly £5000.

The Uni have now informed SF via the HEI helpline 5 times that I have not withdrawn but when I call the SF helpline all they say is that they have received no notification.

I am left with no money, rent to pay, kids to feed, exams and assignments to concentrate on. This is a nightmare and I don't know what to do to sort this mess out.

Unfortunately for you, you just have to keep pestering SFE.

Ring them up daily until it gets sorted.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback