Orange Cash Card (Prepaid Mastercard) service shuts down 23.59 September 30th

Comments

• Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 October 2015 at 12:34PM
    alanq wrote: »
    "There will be a new phone number and email address for customer services which you will get with your new card."
    Not much use if you do not receive a card!
    The new number will need to start 01, 02, 03 or 080.
    alanq wrote: »
    "There will be a £1 charge per call (this doesn't apply for any call relating to a complaint) for calling the Optimum Card customer services,"
    I thought that the rules that come into force from 26 October banned finance companies from using premium rate numbers for contacting customer services (not just for complaints). Optimum wrong? / reports that I have read wrong? / Optimum circumventing regulations by using a standard rate line and collecting a fee by a different method?
    http://nexbridge.co.uk/financial-sector-banned-from-using-0845-numbers-for-customer-service/.
    They will not be allowed to use a number starting 084, 087 or 09.

This sounds like the fee will be collected from the card balance.
  • lacuna1
    lacuna1 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Optimum have a new look site. There was a message flash up for Orange cash card holders but i missed it.
    Their fees have changed and transaction fees are now free like Orange was. £1.50 to top up via paypoint and post office. Just need a card now
  • lacuna1
    lacuna1 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Oh and you can log onto your account with your same Orange details
  • uncreative
    uncreative Posts: 384 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler Debt-free and Proud!
    What are the benefits of this type of system? It looks intriguing but I cant think where I would need it. What do most of you use it for?
    Total Credit Used...=........£9,000 / £52,700
    Mortgage..............=........£138,000 , 20 Years left.
    :starmod:CC cashback for this year..=........£112.88 £205.81 banked in 2015
    :starmod:YNAB User & Mortgage Free Wannabe
    :starmod::A19/03/16
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 October 2015 at 9:01PM
    uncreative wrote: »
    What are the benefits of this type of system? It looks intriguing but I cant think where I would need it. What do most of you use it for?

Some use these cards because they have difficulty getting bank accounts.

Some have difficulty budgeting and so use these cards as it is not possible to overdraw.

I use them because if they are cloned, stolen or otherwise misused, the criminals can take no more than I put on the card and that is not very much. (I know that with credit debit cards the bank should refund any losses not my fault but I prefer to limit my possible liability).

Some disadvantages are
    Some / many facilities attract fees.
    There is no FSCS protection.
    There are no Section 75 rights that would come with a credit card.
  • alanq
    Combo Breaker First Post
    lacuna1 wrote: »
    Optimum have a new look site. There was a message flash up for Orange cash card holders but i missed it.

I assume that you are referring to a pop up that says
    "
    ORANGE CASH CARDHOLDERS
    The Orange Cash programme has now transferred to OPTIMUM. You will soon receive your new OPTIMUM card in the post and you can find further details of the changes in our FAQs section. You can login to your account using your old Orange Cash login details via this site’s Login page."
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    sorry to learn you are struggling with the service from these companies..
    why are you using them anyway though? not better to use Contactless on DebitCard like TSB, where you can earn Cashback, or use a Creditcard, like Amex Cashback?
  • alanq
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I spoke with CS yesterday and they said I should receive by tuesday next week,

It is now "Tuesday next week" and still I have no card. Has anyone received one?
  • alanq wrote: »
    It is now "Tuesday next week" and still I have no card. Has anyone received one?

same here.
    Marriage is hard. Divorce is hard. Choose your hard.
    Obesity is hard. Being fit is hard. Choose your hard.
    Being in debt is hard. Being financially disciplined is hard. Choose your hard.
    Communication is hard. Not communicating is hard. Choose your hard.
    Life will never be easy. It will always be hard. But you can choose your hard.
  • Card final arrived today. Only six days late
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport