dog burps loudly after eating

124»

Comments

• candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Fen1 wrote: »
    If he likes meat, why not feed him meat. He will be happier, and you'll save money by not having to bin tinned food all the time.

There's lots of information out there on meat and raw-feeding. Does he like vegetables? Some dogs go mad for a bit of carrot.

My two have a carrot each every day, n both have fantastic teeth, eveń though Buddy's 14.5 now :eek:
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Soot2006
    Soot2006 Posts: 2,161 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    At his age, stick him on a prey model raw diet. You're not worrying about growth plates or hormone changes, so you can't really get it wrong as long it's sort of balances out over the month.

I would give him raw meat. Chicken wings, heart (muscle), carcasses, tripe, ribs (beef and lamb) ... or store bought but that's more expensive. Get him eating; see what he actually likes; then worry about balancing it out.

For info, my dog won't eat BARF, only meaty bones and prey model ... She won't eat vegetables or fruit unless fresh from the garden; she won't eat rice, grain or potato (nor should she, but she will reject a treat with any of those ingredients) ... But give her a rabbit or a chicken and it's gone in minutes. She can eat a bucket of fresh mackerel like inhaling spaghetti lol ... My new puppy (terrier) gets a more balanced diet as he is younger, but his favourite part is the meat!
  • zaksmum wrote: »
    My dog has always been a reluctant eater, he is 9 now and seems almost afraid to eat. He trembles and then slinks away when I put his food out and only with persuasion will he eat it.

He must be eating enough as he's a normal weight but the palaver getting him to eat is ridiculous!

Recently he has been burping loudly after meals and I'm wondering if this might indicate any kind of gastric problem which may possibly cause the reluctance to eat.

He's a whippet/labrador first cross and still very active and agile when outdoors...but seems miserable when indoors despite having constant company and loads of cuddles and reassurance.

The vet has pronounced him fit and healthy.

IF i was you i would seek a divorce from him
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    robotrobo wrote: »

IF i was you i would seek a divorce from him

:rotfl: sometimes I wish I could!
  • dog burps loudly after eating

Count your blessings. Our elderly cat's farts can clear a room (but we still love her!)
  • annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Your dog is nine. Hes got anxiety issues, clearly. Which haven't been addressed and your concern is burping.

Feeding him raw meat won't take his anxiety away.
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    annandale wrote: »
    Your dog is nine. Hes got anxiety issues, clearly. Which haven't been addressed and your concern is burping.

Feeding him raw meat won't take his anxiety away.

My concern is not that my dog is burping - it's just a thought that the burping might have shed some light on why he doesn't want to eat.

I've looked into every possible reason for this, including God knows how many trips to the vet, and every health related reason has been ruled out. As I've said, he will practically have my hand off if I feed him steak trimmings or chicken, certainly not a trace of anxiety then!

So the vet has concluded that my dog will eat what and when he wants to eat and to continue to reassure him and keep him as calm as possible...so that's what I'll do.

Apart from the reluctance to eat, my dog is happy and healthy, so I'll just persevere and hope that he might just have an appetite for normal dog food one of these days.
  • We're having exactly the same issues with our 2 year old dog...although at the moment it comes and goes... she's been eating fine all summer, then a few weeks ago she just started turning her nose up at her food.

She looks at it, often will lick her lips and drool, but then will sadly turn and walk away. Sometimes you can hand feed her, but often that seems to upset her more.

Give her a treat though, or knob of cheese and she'll wolf that down!

Been to the vets numerous times and they've ruled out anything else and said not to worry, but it's hard to see her not eating.

When she does eat she will often burp too - I don't think it's that she's eating too quickly. I wonder whether it could be gastric reflux and that is putting them off their food?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,028 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    You could try feeding some tree bark powder. It soothes the digestion https://www.dorwest.com/product/tree-barks-powder-for-dogs-and-cats/

Many years ago, before food intolerance was recognised, I had a dog who ate very little e'g as a pup
    she ate one wheetabix a day, or one egg scrambled a day.

She didn't eat dog food until she was 10 months old and that was done by sharing her food with my other dog- one bit to her, one to the other dog alternatively.

She was healthy looking, shiny coat and bags of energy. Everything was done at a run.

The vet said she just ate enough for her needs and no extra. She was all bone and muscle. There wasn't an ounce of fat on her.

But then she started scratching day and night.

I was suspicious that it was food caused . My vet dismissed that saying it was very rarely a cause but I trusted my ut feeling and started feeding her boiled chicken and rice. In three days the scratching was much less and then stopped.

By trial and error I found out it was wheat gluten that caused the problem.

At that time all dog food contained wheat so now I realised why she had a problem eating.

I continued feeding her boiled chicken or fish and rice and she started to enjoy her food.

Now there are a variety of foods available but dogs can be sensitive to any ingredient , beef, chicken, rice, wheat etc or the many additives included.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure