PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Hole in path

Hi, I am in the process of purchasing a terraced house, outside the house I have just noticed a hole in the pavement right outside the property. It seems to have only developed in the last week or so and it is around 5 inches wide. I have found out that the council have been notified and they are going to come out to fill it, but im now worried how has this developed? Is there someone you can call to look into this? Could this be a burst pipe underneath?

Any advice would be so helpful, thank you in advance!

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    FTB nerves?
  • TadleyBaggie
    TadleyBaggie Posts: 6,014
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Luce210 wrote: »
    Could this be a burst pipe underneath?
    Could be, happened to my parents. They could hear the sound of water running for years, eventually a huge hole opened up next to a concrete path.
  • Luce210
    Luce210 Posts: 5 Forumite
    G_M wrote: »
    FTB nerves?

Yeah FTB and it's a Victorian property so just worried that I may find some hidden extra costs. The hole looks as if the Tarmac is caving in and there is quite some hole underneath but I didn't hear and noise of water will go back and investigate some more tomorrow 😬!!
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,838
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Luce210 wrote: »
    Yeah FTB and it's a Victorian property so just worried that I may find some hidden extra costs. The hole looks as if the Tarmac is caving in and there is quite some hole underneath but I didn't hear and noise of water will go back and investigate some more tomorrow 😬!!

Is it an area where there has been mining?
  • G_M
    Forumite
    MAIN-sink-hole.jpg
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    If there's a hole in a public pavement, the council will look into it.....

But seriously, find the stop c0ck related to the house. If the hole is on the houise side of that and there's a leak, it's 'yours.' If it's on the other side, it's the water authority's.
  • G_M
    Forumite
    edited 18 July 2017 at 1:36PM
    Davesnave wrote: »
    If there's a hole in a public pavement, the council will look into it.....
    Hopefully they'll not just look - though with current council finances that might be all they can afford. Maybe they'll scratch their heads as well, suck in their breath and say "Hmmmmmmm..."

But seriously, find the stop c0ck related to the house. If the hole is on the houise side of that and there's a leak, it's 'yours.' If it's on the other side, it's the water authority's.
    To be clear, Dave does not mean the internal stopc0ck (which is usualy under the kitchen sink).

He means the mains stop valve which is usually either in the pavement outside the property, or just inside the boundary (ie the front garden). If you have a water meter, this is usualy co-located.
  • Mossfarr
    Mossfarr Posts: 530
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    This happened recently at my friends house, it was caused by a collapsed drain. It cost a few hundred quid to repair including reinstating the block paving.
  • davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    G_M wrote: »
    MAIN-sink-hole.jpg

Instant swimming pool, win-win. :beer:
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
  • G_M
    Forumite
    davemorton wrote: »
    Instant swimming pool, win-win. :beer:
    Looks like there's even a supply pipe to fill the pool - just have to get the mains switched back on.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure