New LPG user -help please!

I've just moved into a flat in an old converted house run by a managing agent - there are 11 + flats and all on Calor gas - there is no mains gas in the area. How much more expensive is it to use Calor rather than mains? Feel afraid to use the heating! I have a range master cooker and the flame strength is weak - Calor came and checked it and said it was fine but I' ve used gas cooking before and there has been a much fiercer heat - now it would not be easy to stir fry etc - is this a comN problem with Calor? Are there other lpg suppliers who are cheaper? Is it possible to switch? Trouble is I would have to get everyone else in the building to agree. Very disappointed with Calor so far :(

Comments

• sk240
    sk240 Posts: 474 Forumite
    First Post
    LPG is around 3-4 times more expensive than mains gas.
    It all depends on how well insulated your flat is really before you will know.
    Run for a week at a comfortable temp that you want, take meter readings before and after and do the maths to work out the cost.
  • ilikecookies
    ilikecookies Posts: 196 Forumite
    Hi Roxie123,

LPG is more expensive than mains gas but I don't think it's 2-3 times more expensive. The latest NEP figures suggest it is around 50% more expensive:

http://www.nottenergy.com/energy_cost_comparison/

The precise figure is going to depend on what rate Calor are charging you per litre of LPG. Do you happen to know what this is? Also I assume you have a meter somewhere to help you monitor how much you are using as I assume you are all billed separately based on actual usage?

The next factor is then how much you are going to use. Your new place might be smaller, better insulated, etc so whilst it may cost more to use LPG you may not be paying more than previously with mains gas if that makes sense.

As regards the power of the flame on a LPG hob I'm afraid I can't comment but I wouldn't have thought it would be significantly weaker as the LPG will be kept under pressure. You could perhaps ask you neighbours?

There almost certainly will be cheaper LPG suppliers out there but as you say it can be difficult if you need to get everyone to agree to change supplier. That said if you were to find another supplier was much cheaper they may change their mind or at least allow you to use this info to negotiate a better deal from Calor. This link will help you find other suppliers:

http://www.uklpg.org/advice-and-information/switching-your-lpg-supply/

Hope that helps!
  • thozza
    thozza Posts: 304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    As regards energy content, LPG (which is mainly propane) has over twice the energy content per unit of volume in as gaseous state as natural gas, however both have very similar combustion temperatures.

In practical terms LPG has a smaller flame for the same heat as natural gas.
  • If there is an opportunity to upgragde your boiler things like an air sourrse heat pump is a good off grid option for flats as theycan be wall mounted outside.

or you could be ambitious and try to persuade the managing agent to convert to a biomass district heating system which they would be paying as little as 3.1p/kwh for and obvoiously putting a margin on but could be a combarible price to mains gas to the end user and is in many cases.
    "talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish" - Euripides
  • Ozzysmate
    Ozzysmate Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I would suggest the OP, and anyone else interested, have a read of this thread, but not from the 2008 start :)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1003291&highlight=lpg
  • embob74
    embob74 Posts: 724 Forumite
    we recently got Calor gas installed and were astounded at how much it costs to run!
    I have a big range cooker which has gas hob and it works great....I've not noticed the flame being any less than it should be and we have had a few stir fries.
  • PaulF81
    PaulF81 Posts: 1,727 Forumite
    Tbh with an efficient boiler and decent home insulation, we haven't noticed much difference
  • Short-n-Sweet
    Short-n-Sweet Posts: 7,129 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Sorry for Jumping in on this thread! But I was wondering the same thing - We have moved into a Flat that uses LPG (Calor Supply) I am worried about using the heating until I can finally get some kind of answer from Calor.. I contacted them when I moved in and they could not find our new build post code so suggested they did not supply these flats.

Then last week I spotted the Calor man filling our tank.

I have NO idea what the prices are and Calor are no help at all!! So wondered if anybody had even a rough idea of cost? Luckily when we moved in the lady showing us around suggested an electric cooker etc.. So we only use it for heating. Worried a huge Bill is going to land when they finally pull their finger out and decide they do supply us and I am only putting a certain amount away each month but that cost was based on a friends bill and they are on the mains so reading it is more is worrying me.
    Ask.. Believe.. Receive..

Every Accomplishment Starts With The Decision To Try
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    We have moved into a Flat that uses LPG (Calor Supply) I am worried about using the heating until I can finally get some kind of answer from Calor.. I contacted them when I moved in and they could not find our new build post code so suggested they did not supply these flats.

Then last week I spotted the Calor man filling our tank.

Well, presumably, you have a meter somewhere ... or do you have an individual tank for your flat? (Unlikely!)
  • Short-n-Sweet
    Short-n-Sweet Posts: 7,129 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    J_B wrote: »
    Well, presumably, you have a meter somewhere ... or do you have an individual tank for your flat? (Unlikely!)

Yes we do have a metre. However I cannot seem to find the prices online so having a metre figure is all well and good - But no idea how much they charge so still pretty clueless. :rotfl:

If you have a link to the charges I would really appreciate it.
    Ask.. Believe.. Receive..

Every Accomplishment Starts With The Decision To Try
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family