Electoral Roll Question

Options
I am currently going through a mortgage application and recieved a call today from my mortgage advisor saying that i have been refused a mortgage because of something on my credit history.

He advised me to sign up for a free trial with experian to find out what it was. After doing this the only thing on there was that i'm not on the electoral roll.

I have now signed up but i was wondering how long it will take to get onto my credit file?

Also how can this stop me from getting a mortgage? Its not like i've got loads of debt or have missed any payments on any of my bills but it seems like i'm being penalised as if i have.

Comments

• InsideInsurance
    Options
    They like to see people who are grounded, overt, stable etc which being on the electrol register at each of your addresses suggests - also shows you comply with the law which is a good start when you are about to enter into a contract.

How long it will take? Speak to your local council, there is a closed window which is part of the annual refresh where updates arent sent. Outside of that it can be 4-8 weeks after they get round to putting your data into the system.
  • enjoyyourshoes
    Options
    Hi
    just did exactly same for my elderly mother

Took them 2 weeks to act on it and it will be on for the 1st dec, so 4 weeks ish
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
  • Hedgehog99
    Hedgehog99 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Options
    It's the law that you register and it links you to that address, so that's why mortgage lenders like you to be registered.
  • Russ0601
    Options
    Thanks for the quick replies.

Knowing my luck it will take 8 weeks because christmas and new year.

I didnt realise it was a legal requirement, you learn something new every day!
  • enjoyyourshoes
    Options
    You children can register on electoral role before they get to 18, when they get their NI number, then they are ahead of the game as it were
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
  • InsideInsurance
    Options
    Looking at Windsor, slightly randomly, they say they publish to the CRAs on the first working day of each month and the closed window is Aug-Nov. They imply that it can take up to 2 weeks from the form being received to it being keyed

The criminal offence bit I believe is a little skewed, its an offence not to respond to the annual canvas or to provide wrong information with it giving up to £1,000 fine. So not being on the register technically isnt a crime but given the canvas happens every August - hence the closed window - it seems as if you havent been responding
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure