James Wellbeloved

Hi

I've heard lots of things about James Wellbeloved so I went to my local pet store to buy some for my 2 cats and was surprised to see how expensive it was. I think it over £10 for a bag.

Does anyone here use it and is it worth the money?

I have ordered some samples from the JW website but not received them yet.

Thanks All ...
:happylove Tori Bellatrix :happylove

.·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·.

Comments

• Kimitatsu
    Kimitatsu Posts: 3,894 Forumite
    We used to use JW and I have to say it was great BUT it was very expensive!

We looked after my bosses dog last year as he had colitis, long story but the poor little poppet just needed a gluten free diet rather than the tablets the vet was giving him. We started on JW to get him right in the first place, but have since discovered Alpha dog foods who do one at 1/5th of the cost, and also our local pet shop does its own brand of gluten free food for about 1/4 of the cost of JW.

Its worth seeing if you have an agricultural feed merchant near you, as they stock a huge variety of foods at far cheaper prices than the conventional pet stores, or see if you have an independant pet shop that does its own food.
    Free/impartial debt advice: Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) | National Debtline | Find your local CAB
  • kr15snw
    kr15snw Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    Our two springers were on this as they are allergic to wheat and gluten (picky sods:P). But we did also find it very expensive. We then went to a local farm shop (mainly horse stuff but some hunting stuff as well) and they sold a working dog food. It has no VAT on it so its super cheap. The dogs havent noticed any difference to be honest!

But we still get the james wellbeloved treats as they love them sooooo much. Oh we also get the cat treats aswell now, as the kitten likes them.

Although its good, if your in the countryside then you may be able to find a much cheaper alternative.
    Green and White Barmy Army!
  • Noozan
    Noozan Posts: 1,058
    First Post
    Forumite
    I've been buying our JWB cat food from Focus DIY for over 2 years now as they sell it for £9.99 but always have the bags where you get an extra 1kg free. (so 3kg for £9.99) I have to rummage for these though as they seem to like stuffing them right at the back of the shelves and put the normal 2kg bags in front. Our dog's JWB comes from a local animal feed merchant as it's been the cheapest I could find - £28 for a 15kg sack but we often get the sacks where you get an extra 3kg free.
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
  • spookylukey
    spookylukey Posts: 841
    First Post
    Forumite
    Pets at Home have an offer on at the moment - the 5kg adult variety of JWB is half price... Think the offer ends 31st May.
  • Hoopylass
    Hoopylass Posts: 910
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    I was advised by my vet to use JWB and so I duely started buying it from pets at home, until one day I spied there own brand on hypo-allergenic dog food. I compared the ingrediants and there is no difference! I buy one of the large bags and it does me around 3 mths, I keep it in a bin in one of my kitchen cupboards.

I still buy the JWB treats tho as my dog needs the fish treats but still a saving!:T
    Total Debt
    Was £4145.81now £0.00
  • Tori_Bellatrix
    Tori_Bellatrix Posts: 1,307
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks everyone so far .. Unfortunately, I don't live in the country so no
    farm shops nearby ...

I will check PAH for their 5kg special offer though ...
    :happylove Tori Bellatrix :happylove

.·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·..·:*¨¨*:·.
  • Guinea_2
    Guinea_2 Posts: 505 Forumite
    Hi there

We have used all variaties of JWL and after a couple of months our dog just turned her nose up at them! Won't go near the stuff now and I have a big bag left over!!
    :love:Baby Bump born 4th March 2010! :kisses:
  • anniestar
    anniestar Posts: 2,600 Forumite
    We have 7 cats and 6 of them are fed exclusively on James Wellbeloved(the ohter one is currently on a perscription diet) We were advised to put one of our cats(my avatar) on to it as he has serious digestive problems. Obviously in a multi cat household its all or nothing so we bit the bullet and switched. After 2 weeks Livingstone was a different cat, had stopped shedding tons of hair all the time, coat better, firm stools that didn't reek(sorry) his tummy wasn't distended any more and he was putting on muscle tone.6 years later it was withou doubt the best thing we ever did for our cats. We get ours delivered(free) from a place called North West Discount Petfoods. They are based in Blackpool and deliver to Scotland, all of the North of England, The Midlands and Wales. I think they keep increasing the areas they deliver to. They are dead cheap. We pay something like £45 for 20 KILOS which lasts us for ages. Hope this is of some use to you.
    Blind as you run...aware you were staring at the sun.

And when no hope was left inside on that starry starry night.

:A Level 42- the reason I exist. :A
  • wolfehouse
    wolfehouse Posts: 1,394
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    i've been using burns as it seems similar in composition to jwb as far as i can tell but is a bit cheaper. if i could find jwb for a better price might try my cat on it though. my cat has flakey skin and i feel a good dry food is important( she gets some wet food too though)- cheaper in the end than the vet would be.
  • bulchy
    bulchy Posts: 955
    First Post
    Forumite
    Guinea wrote: »
    Hi there

We have used all variaties of JWL and after a couple of months our dog just turned her nose up at them! Won't go near the stuff now and I have a big bag left over!!

If you have a dog rescue centre nearby, they will be grateful for this left over bag.

Our cats are fed JWB, it is expensive, so we usually try to stock up when PAH have it on promotion. Our current bag has 50% free. Its the only food I know my cats will definitely eat. I buy them tins, they will eat them for a few weeks, then decide they dont like them, just when I've stocked up, my local cat rescue centre dont complain though ;)

Sue
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport